997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My new Turbo..still in the wrapper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:57 PM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
My new Turbo..still in the wrapper

Thought I'd share my latest Turbo...picking it up on Saturday from Porsche of the Mainline in PA. I would encourage anyone in or outside their area (I make a 3 hour trip to do business with them) to give them a chance at your business. It is my 2nd new 911 purchase from them in a year...superb folks to do business with.

Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2011, 04:06 PM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
This brings up a lot of questions that have been nagging at me for a while:

1) Why are there usually holes in the wheel wrapping on delivery? Is it for the tiedown cables on the ship?

2) What's the purpose of that white wrap, and if it is to protect the paint from dust/deposits/scratches, why is it only on the top surfaces?

3) Do dealers let you keep the seat/steeringwheel covers? Seems like a nice thing for dust OCD sufferers like me.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:09 PM
shamoo has a spectacular aura aboutshamoo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by arash
2) What's the purpose of that white wrap, and if it is to protect the paint from dust/deposits/scratches, why is it only on the top surfaces?
Well, I know the answer to this one. It's to prevent "sun scratches" and minerals from water deposits to scratch/embed/sit on the paint. The plastic cover usually will only be on the top sections of the car where water/rain water can actually sit.

The others, I don't know but the wheel one is probably for strapping it down.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
That's cool... enjoy the ride!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:07 PM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
I too am assuming the wheel wrap holes/punch throughs are for ship and local transport wheel tie downs. I agree with the other response re the purpose of the protective wrap for the top most surfaces. Lastly, I take delivery of the car exactly as you see it - all the wraps, stickers, hang tags, protective covers on the seats, steering wheel, etc. I enjoy photographing every piece of the car as it arrives, then actually enjoy removing these items myself when it is in my garage as I prefer to do the clean up. My dealer - Mainline - is VERY accomodating...they do the PDI with me there (again, I photo/document it all) with us temporarily removing what we need to do that. I then put it on an enclosed trailer, bring it home, and have the full front clear bra installed in my garage before I take it out on the road. Even the mile or two PDI drive is done only after I 'blue' tape up the exposed pieces on the front end. I put all the photos and documents in a 3-ring binder...makes a cool presentation with everything in one place from initial order, tracking its build, voyage across the 'pond', delivery, etc.

Originally Posted by arash
This brings up a lot of questions that have been nagging at me for a while:

1) Why are there usually holes in the wheel wrapping on delivery? Is it for the tiedown cables on the ship?

3) Do dealers let you keep the seat/steeringwheel covers? Seems like a nice thing for dust OCD sufferers like me.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 PM
otoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud of
Envy.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
Congrat!!!

Old 12-08-2011, 07:33 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
POTML is a great place. I bought a car there before. Enjoy your new Turbo!!!

Old 12-08-2011, 07:36 PM
DJ23 is a jewel in the roughDJ23 is a jewel in the roughDJ23 is a jewel in the rough
Enjoy, and yes a Merry Christmas to you.

Jay

Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
congrats! and enjoy...

Old 12-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Jamerikan is a jewel in the roughJamerikan is a jewel in the roughJamerikan is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by tssci
Thought I'd share my latest Turbo...picking it up on Saturday from Porsche of the Mainline in PA. I would encourage anyone in or outside their area (I make a 3 hour trip to do business with them) to give them a chance at your business. It is my 2nd new 911 purchase from them in a year...superb folks to do business with.

Congrats on a great purchase. I live in Leesburg too, and can't wait to see it on the road. Do you ever go to Katie's C&C in Great Falls?

Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Now that's my kinda man. Kudos for the brilliant work on the photodocumentation of every little detail as your beauty comes to life.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 AM
SKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to all
Took delivery of my new TTS last month. All your questions answered except # 3. Yes you can keep the steering wheel cover and seat covers. They are great when I take it to the dealer to totally protect the light colored natural brown leather.
The dealers just throw them away so you can get new clean ones when yours get dirty. Just ask them.
Congrats on the new ride.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jamerikan
Congrats on a great purchase. I live in Leesburg too, and can't wait to see it on the road. Do you ever go to Katie's C&C in Great Falls?
Yes, I do go to Katie's and had my 2011 Guard Red GT3 there during the early part of the season..I tired of the venue because of the crowded nature of it. I'd love to see the venue changed on Saturday mornings to a more open area where we can actually see what the cars look like and not have to fret (at least me) about the 'door to door' parking.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Now that's my kinda man. Kudos for the brilliant work on the photodocumentation of every little detail as your beauty comes to life.
Thank you...it is something I enjoy and there is an amazing amount of
'stuff' and documentation that comes with the car. I even have photos in the book of the ships that transported my cars along with their port itineraries, i.e. when they arrive, leave, etc. The dealer was also nice enough to take several short videos of the car being delivered to them from the port and I was able to make a number of 'stills' to include in my book.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new Turbo..still in the wrapper