997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Is this a scam? (Amazon payments - used car)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:38 PM
shamoo has a spectacular aura aboutshamoo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by E55AMG
LOL. he wrote back and told me he lives in Prince George in Canada - travels a lot for business. I told him I'd like to come up to meet him and see the car in person. don't think i'll get a response.

as someone else said I think i'll just keep asking for info. pic of VIN, more pics of cars, etc.
He will say that the car is wrapped up and ready to ship in a container and cannot be viewed.

It sucks that scams like these appear on places like Autotrader and Cars.com. Usually they run rampant on Craigslist. At least you can spot the ridiculously low price, that's your clue. $26K for a 997 Turbo? I assume that since you're in this part of the forum. High mileage 07s are like $60K and it goes up from there.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:21 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by shamoo
He will say that the car is wrapped up and ready to ship in a container and cannot be viewed.

It sucks that scams like these appear on places like Autotrader and Cars.com. Usually they run rampant on Craigslist. At least you can spot the ridiculously low price, that's your clue. $26K for a 997 Turbo? I assume that since you're in this part of the forum. High mileage 07s are like $60K and it goes up from there.
it wasn't a turbo. it was a cayman. And yes, guess i was a bit naive to think this wouldn't be on autotrder, cars.com etc. i've never bought a used car in my life so wasn't quite sure. The price wasn't SO outrageous, but the mileage was less than others in that price range.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:33 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
He forgot to mention that he is from Nigeria.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:46 PM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
I see this crap all the time and if I have a little time I do enjoy the string along game. I usually tell the scammer "...that's great! I have a friend that lives 4 miles from you! I'll send him over to have a look at the car (or even peek in the container) - please send me your address & phone number and let me know what day/time works for you". That usually ends the conversation right there. I actually had one guy tell me the container was sealed with "liquid nails" and he didn't want to pry it open... These kind of people **** me off as I wonder how many innocent, naive people they actually talk into sending them money...

Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 PM
shamoo has a spectacular aura aboutshamoo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GTS Jay
I see this crap all the time and if I have a little time I do enjoy the string along game. I usually tell the scammer "...that's great! I have a friend that lives 4 miles from you! I'll send him over to have a look at the car (or even peek in the container) - please send me your address & phone number and let me know what day/time works for you". That usually ends the conversation right there. I actually had one guy tell me the container was sealed with "liquid nails" and he didn't want to pry it open... These kind of people **** me off as I wonder how many innocent, naive people they actually talk into sending them money...
It's terrible, but you know what? They have it so easy. They troll the classifieds and send out tons of emails. If out of 5000 emails, they get one bite, then they win.

It's kinda like my old marketing job with email sales campaigns. It's so cheap to send out 10 million emails, yet with a conversion rate of less than 1%, it's still VERY profitable.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:58 PM
saeyedoc is infamous around these partssaeyedoc is infamous around these parts
It's terrible, but you know what? They have it so easy. They troll the classifieds and send out tons of emails. If out of 5000 emails, they get one bite, then they win.

It's kinda like my old marketing job with email sales campaigns. It's so cheap to send out 10 million emails, yet with a conversion rate of less than 1%, it's still VERY profitable.
Of course if you do respond to them, you're now on their sucker list that they share with their evil friends.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
LOL. he wrote back and told me he lives in Prince George in Canada - travels a lot for business. I told him I'd like to come up to meet him and see the car in person. don't think i'll get a response.

as someone else said I think i'll just keep asking for info. pic of VIN, more pics of cars, etc.
I like it. If you want to string him along, you need to figure a way to have him do some work for it.

As an aside, I have a friend you got one of those scam e-mails from Nigeria (apparently, for some reason, he was not aware that his close relative was traveling there and needed some emergency money ). He communicated with the person back and forth for more than a week, even telling him that he wired the money, but it ended up in the wrong place (next town over). The scammer ended up spending quite a bit of time trying to track down where the money really ended up.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:07 PM

Yes, yes - exactly. There are lots of innocent, naive, and perfectly fine and wonderful folks in this world and I just hate to see these bastards preying on them. After I play with them a bit I often report them. There's a site where you can do this but the name escapes me right now...

Old 12-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Aerodude
I like it. If you want to string him along, you need to figure a way to have him do some work for it.

As an aside, I have a friend you got one of those scam e-mails from Nigeria (apparently, for some reason, he was not aware that his close relative was traveling there and needed some emergency money ). He communicated with the person back and forth for more than a week, even telling him that he wired the money, but it ended up in the wrong place (next town over). The scammer ended up spending quite a bit of time trying to track down where the money really ended up.
I'm liking this idea even better as I'm sure a majority never get caught. Someone should open a new thread just to start collecting time-consuming (and even better, expensive if possible) ideas. Nothing like a scam hugely backfiring in their face...

Old 12-09-2011, 07:27 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
I saw something on the net years ago that was this guy playing games with the scammer. it was the funniest thing i've ever read. it went on for weeks. he had this guy running in circles.

I don't remember the details but I think it had something to do with a computer.

I wish I could remember some of the details so I could look for it.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:40 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
I saw something on the net years ago that was this guy playing games with the scammer. it was the funniest thing i've ever read. it went on for weeks. he had this guy running in circles.

I don't remember the details but I think it had something to do with a computer.

I wish I could remember some of the details so I could look for it.
I believe this is what you're looking for, Chris.

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
I believe this is what you're looking for, Chris.

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/
Ed, that's it. how great is that

Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
i was playing golf in Canada once and had an entire double granola bar (wrapper and all) lifted from my cart by a raven. Bird flew just out of range, and commenced to peck open my granola package. He was an old pro.

The next day I bought the same granola bar, carefully pulled open the package at the seam, removed the granola bars, and filled the package with golf tees. Because the foil pack had that glue-like sealer still on it, all I had to do was press the seams back together, to make the package appear normal. No granola, no food, just golf tees.

No sooner did I leave the pack in a cup holder and walked away from the cart, the raven returned.

He grabbed the pack of tees, flew just out of range, and commenced to peck open the package. I was unbelievably pleased with myself, and laughed my **** off at that raven. He pecked and pecked. Once the package was sufficiently ripped apart and he realized no food to be found, he flew away looking for his next victim. He wasn't pissed (that I could tell), and he gave me no more pleasure for having wasted my time with him. It was all very funny to me, but in the end it was a complete waste of my time.

I suck at telling stories, but the point here is that these scam artists sit behind monitors and there's nothing you can do to get them to move. The perpetrate the fraud, and watch the bank account. If money ends up in it, they transfer it and move on, all without actually moving anywhere. The best way to deal with it is to recognize it for what it is, and ignore it. ANYTHING more is a total waste of your time and energy.

I know this, because it's pretty much the same as my bird story. I wasted a bunch of time trying to **** off a bird. Can you believe it? The chances of annoying somebody like this cars.com seller are slim to none. He'll simply move on to the next email response. My 2 cents.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 AM
^ you're probably right but it takes all of 15 seconds to respond to an email. If i ask him for some info and he has to waste any of HIS time, well that's ok.

I only hope and pray that one day he scams the wrong person and he gets the beating he so richly deserves

BTW, trying to **** off a bird is even worse LOL!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 AM
gforce_addict is infamous around these parts
I have come across similar "too good to be true" sales on many models oncars.com. I saw a 2011 AUDI A8 for $44K and saw a 2010 Porch for $60K and a 2008 Porche for $40K, all claiming to be in prestine condition

I noticed these were individual sellers. I Have made email communication with a few of them and They also respond with a different name than what appears in the add. The story is alwaysthe same, that the seller needs cash quick. Also, sometimes seller will say he is now living in Canada. He will boast about how amazon works and you can look at the car for 7 days and return in. I know its bs and it pizzes me off.

The other possibiliy is its a salvaged title although they claim its never been hit. one seller refused to give me a VIN. Another seller gave me a VIN but it was to a different car

Almost reminds me of those nigerian email scams.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this a scam? (Amazon payments - used car)