997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Is this a scam? (Amazon payments - used car)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Domer911
i was playing golf in Canada once and had an entire double granola bar (wrapper and all) lifted from my cart by a raven. Bird flew just out of range, and commenced to peck open my granola package. He was an old pro.

The next day I bought the same granola bar, carefully pulled open the package at the seam, removed the granola bars, and filled the package with golf tees. Because the foil pack had that glue-like sealer still on it, all I had to do was press the seams back together, to make the package appear normal. No granola, no food, just golf tees.

No sooner did I leave the pack in a cup holder and walked away from the cart, the raven returned.

He grabbed the pack of tees, flew just out of range, and commenced to peck open the package. I was unbelievably pleased with myself, and laughed my **** off at that raven. He pecked and pecked. Once the package was sufficiently ripped apart and he realized no food to be found, he flew away looking for his next victim. He wasn't pissed (that I could tell), and he gave me no more pleasure for having wasted my time with him. It was all very funny to me, but in the end it was a complete waste of my time.

I suck at telling stories, but the point here is that these scam artists sit behind monitors and there's nothing you can do to get them to move. The perpetrate the fraud, and watch the bank account. If money ends up in it, they transfer it and move on, all without actually moving anywhere. The best way to deal with it is to recognize it for what it is, and ignore it. ANYTHING more is a total waste of your time and energy.

I know this, because it's pretty much the same as my bird story. I wasted a bunch of time trying to **** off a bird. Can you believe it? The chances of annoying somebody like this cars.com seller are slim to none. He'll simply move on to the next email response. My 2 cents.
I completely agree that this is the high road and probably the right road to take. But -- if you do get some satisfaction out of turning the tables a little, even if it doesn't really do anything on the other end, then only you can judge whether it was worth your time and effort. In the bird story, the problem was that the bird has no feelings about this and no real emotion that we can relate to. On the other hand, even a scammer is Human (sort of), and can get pissed or annoyed -- which might give you the satisfaction.

Besides, I'd point out that we've already determined (collectively) that it is worth our while to spend time discussing it here. I got some enjoyment out of that .

Last edited by Aerodude; 12-10-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:37 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Cool It's a SCAM

Big time scam.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 PM
m3vert is infamous around these parts
amazon payment scam

By this time all of you probably know this but I wanted to post it for people like me who are late to the game. THIS IS A SCAM!!

Here is an email I received:

Hello,
> >
> > My 2011 BMW X5 M is still for sale. The asking price is $53,260, please note this price doesn't include shipping taxes, for an accurate cost provide me with your zip code or full address. It is located in Canada, as I recently moved here with my job. Please note it is still registered in the United States so there will be no import taxes or additional fees to pay. The car is registered on my name and the title is clear (no lien). It is in great condition, no dents or scratches. It was always garaged and the regular maintenance was done in time. It wasn't involved in any accident and has never suffered any kind of damage. Also this is a non-smoker car.
> >
> > I had a buyer offering $55,000 and I've lost about 2 weeks waiting for him to pay just to find out in the end that his loan wasn't approved. I've lowered the price because I'm in desperate need of cash, so if you don't need a loan you can have it. I don't want to offend you, but the car is priced for a fast sale so please if you intend to apply for a loan or financing do not reply to this message!
> >
> > I want to use Amazon Payments for closing this deal. If you are not aware of how they work you should know that they will allow you to test drive and inspect the car before me receiving any money. You will have a 7 days inspection period to decide whether you want to keep it or not before they release the funds to me.
> >
> > I look forward hearing from you.
> >
> > Steve Robinson

I almost fell for it but thanks to this forum didn't. Wanted to return the favor.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:00 PM
denlinn is a jewel in the roughdenlinn is a jewel in the roughdenlinn is a jewel in the rough
Gotta say, I love the idea of asking about the radio presets

Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
Saw an identical one a few months ago (even copy pasted some of the exact sentences) for a beautiful 964 turbo, that was priced 1/3 of market value and wanted the amazon payment. Keep spreading the word to protect our 6speed friends.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
I received several over the top offers for an iPhone I was selling on eBay recently that wanted to use Paypal Escrow (which doesn't exist).

I said sure send the money and I'll ship the phone. In all cases (3) I promptly received emails that looked like they originated from Paypal payments but the links to verify stuff wasn't a Paypal URL and there were the odd little grammatical or spelling errors that gave it away as being phoney.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I had friend who took one of the Nigerian scammers for an elaborate months long drawn out ride!! He told the guy he had money grammed him $1200 for whatever the BS scam was. Except he had never money grammed the money. Every time the scammer would email him, he would assure the scamer that the money had been sent. My friend used every excuse under the sun to assure the scammer that the money had been sent. Transposed numbers, Misspelled Name, Holiday, time zone differences, etc.. etc.. etc..

After the third month and something like 12 exchanges, the scammer wrote back in frustration and admitted that he lived in a village and to having to ride a bicycle 25 miles each way on a dirt road to the moneygram location and that he no longer believed my friend had sent the money.

In the meantime he had ridden his bike 600 MILES back and forth on dirt road to try and collect the $1200 he was trying to scam!! That was poetic justice!!!

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 01-17-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:58 PM
freeskierjay is infamous around these parts
Lol. Just recieved this scam for a dodge charger

Because I can't do this transaction personally I have setup this sale with Amazon Payments so this deal must go through them. You will have to make the payment to Amazon Payments. The shipping will be started in 24 hours after your payment is confirmed. The car will be delivered in 2 or 3 days. From the moment it arrives at your door, you will have 5 days to test and inspect it. If it doesn't match my description or if you find anything wrong with it, Amazon Payments will refund your money in 3 working days and I will be in charge of the return shipping fee. They will hold the money until you confirm that the car is as expected. This way we are both protected. I am sure that you have the funds to buy it and you can verify that the vehicle is as advertised knowing that a 3rd party has the payment secured.

In order to start the transaction, please click here to go on (AmazonPayments) and register, once you do that, Amazon Payments will send you the invoice with all the payment and shipping details.

PS: It have 57,131 miles.

Thank you

Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 PM
py0413 is a jewel in the roughpy0413 is a jewel in the roughpy0413 is a jewel in the rough
Definitely a scam. If you can't deal face to face with a seller in a private sale, don't do it.