997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Sneak peak of my new coolers!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 03:55 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
REALLY like the looks of those cores! If the price can be kept reasonable, these should do well. Nice to see manufacturers going with higher density cores as people realize the impact of high IATs on these cars.

Yeah I cant wait to slap them in and test them! Roll on New Year!

Old 12-17-2011, 03:56 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lopro
nice car. very nice coolers
Thanks dude!

Old 12-19-2011, 12:36 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Subscribed, some info of the turbos pls

Old 12-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by milou
Subscribed, some info of the turbos pls
As soon as I get info on the tubos I will post it here pronto!

Old 12-24-2011, 06:50 AM
Look at what arrived today Santa dropped off my present, Enjoy.

Pics were taken on my I phone.

So these are basically prototypes.

I now have to take the bumper off and see if they fit correctly and if they do then I will get a silicone kit made up and then fit them!

Last edited by GTRNICK; 12-24-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:59 AM
GT-TT is infamous around these partsGT-TT is infamous around these parts
the trick is to optimise density/ cooling capacity for the flow that the relatively small VTG turbos can produce. If you go too far with either it just does not work properly. I ve tried both versions; AM ICs that were flowing very freely but did not cool and were heat soaking big time, as well as AM ICs that were restrictive where the car felt like it lost 50 hp in the mid range. This is where the .2 ones excel because they were designed by P for 1.6 boost and 620+ hp but also cool much better.
Lets see how it goes with these ones, it would be great if they work even better!

Old 12-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by GT-TT
the trick is to optimise density/ cooling capacity for the flow that the relatively small VTG turbos can produce. If you go too far with either it just does not work properly. I ve tried both versions; AM ICs that were flowing very freely but did not cool and were heat soaking big time, as well as AM ICs that were restrictive where the car felt like it lost 50 hp in the mid range. This is where the .2 ones excel because they were designed by P for 1.6 boost and 620+ hp but also cool much better.
Lets see how it goes with these ones, it would be great if they work even better!

The core size is the same as the stock cores so I know they will fit in that sense!

What Im thinking is that I asked for the size to be increased slightly on the end tank where they connect to the hoses which is all im worried about.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:11 AM
GT-TT is infamous around these partsGT-TT is infamous around these parts
the density of the cores determines to the largest extend the back pressure (or pressure drop). The end tanks and overall dimensions are further fine tuning for that aspect but its the cores that determine most of that element. It is a bit of an art designing for the demands of those heat-prone VTGs. Hence the very mixed (mostly bad) real world results of most AM intercoolers.
The last ones I tried before the 2RS ICs were probably cooling very well but the pressure drop was so large that they would not work for 700+hp VTG engine. However the same coolers would probably work great (as claimed) for say GT30 Garrett turbos where you can just increase boost a bit to compensate..
Re hoses, a good mechanic should be able to convert them to make it work

Old 12-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by GT-TT
the density of the cores determines to the largest extend the back pressure (or pressure drop). The end tanks and overall dimensions are further fine tuning for that aspect but its the cores that determine most of that element. It is a bit of an art designing for the demands of those heat-prone VTGs. Hence the very mixed (mostly bad) real world results of most AM intercoolers.
The last ones I tried before the 2RS ICs were probably cooling very well but the pressure drop was so large that they would not work for 700+hp VTG engine. However the same coolers would probably work great (as claimed) for say GT30 Garrett turbos where you can just increase boost a bit to compensate..
Re hoses, a good mechanic should be able to convert them to make it work

Well I will drive over to FVD in germany to test the coolers we will see from there what is needed to be done.

I am also fitting hybrid VTG's, high flow turbo intake pipes, Ipd plenum with GT3 throttle body, IPD y-pipe, also anything else we feel is necessary.

Do you have any pics of your GT2rs coolers?

Last edited by GTRNICK; 12-24-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:43 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
they did a nice job on those coolers. Not bad at all. Looking good. Interested to hear how they do at FVD. When you drove the car how was it?

Old 12-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by lopro
they did a nice job on those coolers. Not bad at all. Looking good. Interested to hear how they do at FVD. When you drove the car how was it?
They are not fitted yet. Will keep you all posted as soon as they are.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Right the good news is they fitted no problems. ( The plastic shroud will need a few mill either end trimmed to make them sit flush which is minor )

So now we know they fit it's case of getting the silicone kit made up and the supporting lugs extended to fit the circlips or to get the lugs drilled to accept a bolt and washer!

This should be done by middle of January and then its a case of fitting them and getting them tested!

I cant wait

Here are some I phone shots showing them mounted in the cage.

Hope you enjoy!

Old 12-28-2011, 01:37 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
looking clean bud, Looks like they fit the brackets well and snug.

I like them, cant wait to hear how they work out for you while testing.
they look like a hit, Nice badbury too btw.

great pics man. thanks for posting the update.
good luck man

Old 12-28-2011, 01:44 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
hmmm...you should just test them already!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by TAILWAG
hmmm...you should just test them already!
Thanks for the kind words guys

I could test them with the durametrics but I don't have the hoses to fit them

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sneak peak of my new coolers!