997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Need help with Bilstein damptronics 2!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:52 AM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
in my case, it wasn't a failed droplink, ie the blue ball didn't pop off. in this case it was the entire droplink was ripped off of the coilover body, so I'm not sure if a different droplink would have a different outcome.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:11 PM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
quick update. dropped of my car to the installer (who is really great BTW). he said that he's seen this a couple of times which can occur coming out of the driveway as was in my case. he didn't think that it would be a problem to get this fixed under warranty from bilstein. he was going to call them today to get a new coilover sent to him. i'm crossing my fingers and hope that there aren't any hiccups

Old 12-12-2011, 05:12 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dk10438
he's seen this a couple of times which can occur coming out of the driveway
It failed coming out of a driveway? POS........

Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
It failed coming out of a driveway? POS........
it's a high speed turn LOL

Old 12-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Real bummer indeed! I would talk to the place that you bought the parts from and show them this:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-advisory.html
If BS have established the link as the culprit it seems odd why Bilstein haven't issued an all out recall on all earlier straight links given the safety issue here. What's your take on this Alex? The fact BS has changed the design of the link is an indictment that would go against any previous denials.

Last edited by speed21; 12-12-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:02 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I would junk them all together and go with the new motons. jmo
Disagreed as IMHO this is a poor choice for a daily driver. Moton is an outstanding system for the track, but has high dampening rates and is designed for higher spring rates of 400/600 min, making it impractical for 99% of people for street driving. In addition it has problems just like any other suspension system, including leaking of fluid.
If you are hard core enough to think about installing Moton in the Turbo, IMHO you are in the wrong car and a switch to GT3 or GT2 makes a lot more sense.

The company recently nearly went into bankruptcy and was acquired by another company, AST. That doesn't sound like a stable situation to me.
KW is a good alternative to Bilstein, Moton? For street drving, don't think so.

Last edited by cannga; 12-13-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
FYI, they now offer a complete line of street setups.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
FYI, they now offer a complete line of street setups.
If you are referring to Clubsport vs. Motorsport, that has been out a while. Both outstanding system but still considered a primary track setup (high spring rate) and therefore IMHO a poor recommendation for street driving. If you are referring to a new line, that brings even more red flags to the situation. A tiny company escaping bankruptcy is not a stable situation or good recommendation, new line or old line. The acquiring company AST has no presence or reputation among Porsche enthusiasts, and going forwards there will be questions about the provenance of suspension parts.

The excellence of (the old) Moton might bring many problems with maintenance, leaking, and adjustment as well. There are good examples and bad, regardless of systems:
>>>>
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pressure.html
Zippy, did yours blow too? Man I am having some major issues with my motons. Going into my 5th month and still not installed. FARK!!!!!!
>>>>
There is no evidence to show any single system is any more or less reliable than others. Bilstein is not perfect but is reported more often because of its popularity.

If I dig enough, I could find bad examples with any given suspension component, any given ECU system, exhaust system, broken sway bar, broken links. The list goes on. Someone recently reported shock failure requiring replacement on his brand new Turbo - that is the nature of fast moving part and of after-market toys.
Meanwhile, many include me are enjoying the system with little problem. It has saved me thousands because I would have traded the car for GT3 or GT2 otherwise.

Last edited by cannga; 12-13-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:04 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I would suggest the OP do his own internet research on the topic, and get a refund.
I think eclou or viking (on the racing forum) has the info on the revised moton company.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:56 PM
At this time I am content to wait to see how this shakes out . I'm aware of the problems that bilstein had in the past but I think to be fair I should give them the opportunity to make me whole. IMO Porsche is part of the problem, if they didn't sell cars with the ride height set at suv levels I wouldnt have to go to the trouble of lowering my car lol.

I'm actually considering trading my car in to get something that doesn't need any mods out of the box such as a gtr....

Old 12-13-2011, 05:30 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
If BS have established the link as the culprit it seems odd why Bilstein haven't issued an all out recall on all earlier straight links given the safety issue here. What's your take on this Alex? The fact BS has changed the design of the link is an indictment that would go against any previous denials.
Oh my take isn't worth much... and not to BS either... James and I called back when they first came out with the PSS10s as we'd noticed a change and saw a couple of failures. Of course we were crazy back then... we kept sending them boxes with broken drop links and on the 997TT just made our own ones for local installations. Finally a year or so later the 996TT kits started getting different drop links (even though there wasn't a problem lol). For a while there we literally got so fed up we _stopped_ installing/carrying them. Finally a couple of months ago the drop links got a redesign - again even though there wasn't a problem

That's the very short version to avoid anymore boredom...

Old 12-13-2011, 07:40 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Botox
Upgraded my drop links to the newer curved ones, no more creaking sounds with turns. The geometry is much improved up front with AWD cars with the curved drop links. I strongly recommend upgrading!
Did you order the curved drop links from Bilstein? I have not yet checked which ones I have but I want to know what the costs would be to upgrade if I need to. Hate to have these fail somewhere other than my driveway

Old 12-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Oh my take isn't worth much... and not to BS either... James and I called back when they first came out with the PSS10s as we'd noticed a change and saw a couple of failures. Of course we were crazy back then... we kept sending them boxes with broken drop links and on the 997TT just made our own ones for local installations. Finally a year or so later the 996TT kits started getting different drop links (even though there wasn't a problem lol). For a while there we literally got so fed up we _stopped_ installing/carrying them. Finally a couple of months ago the drop links got a redesign - again even though there wasn't a problem

That's the very short version to avoid anymore boredom...

Tks. And on your in -house experiences with BS (as in calling BS Bullsh.t) which is actually a fitting name in these circumstances but it's pretty standard how no one admits liability for anything these days.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:14 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Tks. And on your in -house experiences with BS (as in calling BS Bullsh.t) which is actually a fitting name in these circumstances but it's pretty standard how no one admits liability for anything these days.
It was pretty frustrating since we were really only trying to help par for the course it seems. It took them 18months but they finally changed things under the radar so to speak...

Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by cannga
Disagreed as IMHO this is a poor choice for a daily driver. Moton is an outstanding system for the track, but has high dampening rates and is designed for higher spring rates of 400/600 min, making it impractical for 99% of people for street driving. In addition it has problems just like any other suspension system, including leaking of fluid.
If you are hard core enough to think about installing Moton in the Turbo, IMHO you are in the wrong car and a switch to GT3 or GT2 makes a lot more sense.

The company recently nearly went into bankruptcy and was acquired by another company, AST. That doesn't sound like a stable situation to me.
KW is a good alternative to Bilstein, Moton? For street drving, don't think so.
I'm not sure Can. You know, when you look at it, all of these C/O systems for street use are all basically useless overkill and are unecessarily harsh on the car, driver, and any passengers willing to put up with it, given 99.999% of the time the road conditions dont justify the level of torture that generally goes along with having these systems. It'd be a different story if the car saw the track frequently enough but how often is that the case? As i said before; where Porsche has had a direct hand in shoehorning these coilover arrangements on to their own cars the systems are generally reliable....and reasonably tolerable as well (particularly in the latest GT3/2 cars). I understand some wanting to lower the car for a meaner look but the trade off to achieve that using C/overs just isn't worth it if the car sees 99% of its time on the street....as most of these cars do. Anyway....for all that, we love our personal preferences and are entiltled to punish ourselves accordingly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help with Bilstein damptronics 2!!!!