997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

DIY INSTALLED: LED city light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 01:10 PM
d.f.c has a spectacular aura aboutd.f.c has a spectacular aura about
DIY INSTALLED: LED city light

I was reading the forum members' posts regarding the solution to the below-expectation DRL/City light issue on TT/TTS. I am also quite disappointed with the way Porsche decided not to have the nice bright LED strip integrated with the turn signal up front, but instead use the dim foglight as DRL and the blue tinited W5W bulbs as the city light. (That blue tint, can they be any cheaper?)

Anyway, I saw the suggestion on SpeedART's wonderful DRL conversion as members have mentioned. But that price $2500/$3500 is too much for me. So I did it the cheap and easy way by adding a pair of LED strips. Not the best integration, but meets what I was expecting.

It took me 5 hours to do the installation myself. I tapped the city light (blue tint) for power. (Originally I wanted to tap both DRL and city light so that the LED strips stay on with either DRL or city light. But I gave up because I couldn't find the access to DRL foglight.) I spent a lot of time on the first one (like 4 hours on one side and 1 hr the other), as I was trying mount the strips to be as close to and follow the same contour of the turn signal as possible. So that the end result doesn't look too "ghetto".

The end result is alright. LED strips are nice and bright; and the color matches other LEDs on the car closely. The bad: 1. it still is not truly a DRL, just a city light addon; 2. it cannot be dimmed when the turn signal lights up (as with TechART's); 3. not fully integrated.

Attached Images      
Old 12-11-2011, 01:47 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
I admire you for your hard work in fitting them but it does not look to great IMO.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:21 PM
otoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud of
I too admire the ability to work on your own Porsche, if it is liked by others or not. It looks like you want what a lot of members do, a stock DRL that is lit the whole way across. If I assume correctly, we should see a set from a board sponsor (vividracing) very soon. Check in at the for sale forum for info if you wish.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by otoppero
I too admire the ability to work on your own Porsche, if it is liked by others or not. It looks like you want what a lot of members do, a stock DRL that is lit the whole way across. If I assume correctly, we should see a set from a board sponsor (vividracing) very soon. Check in at the for sale forum for info if you wish.
Thanks for the comment and suggestion to follow Vividracing on the solution to DRL.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:12 PM
otoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud of
My pleasure, glad to see you like the forum as much as I do. Well it looks that way from your post count already. Was I correct with my assumption about what you were looking for? Did you find the thread about the DRL's? You were originally from Seattle correct? Where exactly?

Old 12-11-2011, 04:35 PM
CarbonJuicD has much to be proud ofCarbonJuicD has much to be proud ofCarbonJuicD has much to be proud ofCarbonJuicD has much to be proud ofCarbonJuicD has much to be proud ofCarbonJuicD has much to be proud ofCarbonJuicD has much to be proud ofCarbonJuicD has much to be proud of
good attempt. but IMO looks cheap. can't do it. doesn't belong on the Pcar.
looks better without it.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by otoppero
My pleasure, glad to see you like the forum as much as I do. Well it looks that way from your post count already. Was I correct with my assumption about what you were looking for? Did you find the thread about the DRL's? You were originally from Seattle correct? Where exactly?
From Bellevue then moved to Mercer Island (attended BHS then UW). We are same age You are right on the DRL feature that I want. Hopefully Vividracing come out with the good product soon.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by CarbonJuicD
good attempt. but IMO looks cheap. can't do it. doesn't belong on the Pcar.
looks better without it.
Yeah, this is the best I can do without shelling out huge sums for the fully integrated ones.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:16 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I think it looks great. I can tell that it probably looks much better and integrated in person than it does in the pix which might throw a few people off. But good job and way to think outside the box for now until a more cost effective DRL come out. Also good job on not being afraid to work on your own car.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the comment ScottKelly911.