997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

battery maintainer for 997.1 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 03:37 PM
spooling is infamous around these parts
battery maintainer for 997.1 turbo

what is the difference between this maintainer
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//98061198100.html

and this one
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//95504490054.html

I like the idea of plugging it into the lighter socket. The car will be sitting for a few weeks between drives.

thanks!

Old 12-12-2011, 03:40 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
I have the Porsche unit that plugs into the cig lighter (Lower link) and it works fine. Much easier than poping the frunk. I got mine at Porsche of Roslyn. Matt is the guy in after sales service that I deal with. he was also my sales person. Super-knowledgable and helpful guy.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:10 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Ctek makes the charger for Porsche, Bentley, etc. I have this. http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-12-Volt-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FQBWCY

Add this: http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-263-Comfort-Connect-Plug/dp/B0016LA5O8/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_b if you want the cig. lighter option.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:35 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Two of my buddies had bad luck with the Porsche units (they basically failed). Not good given the price of them. Do yourself a favor and get the Batterytender with the cigarette lighter adaptor for ease of use.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Sobrut911 is infamous around these parts
I've been using the batterytender with cigarette lighter adapter for years and have never had a problem with any batteries going dead. I also use it on my motorcycle, lawn tractor and generator. It's also a lot cheaper than Porsche's.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:08 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
I fail to understand why there's so much confusion about the battery chargers

Just call your local Porsche dealer and get the one that plugs into your cig lighter and be done with it. I have been using the same unit for past several years,atleast 4-5 and not once i had any issues. As a matter of fact, i started my '91 Turbo today after atleast 3-4 weeks and the car fired up right away.

I recently purchased a 997.1 Turbo myself too and thought i would try something different so started reading all the battery threads including but not limited to " battery tenders", " Porsche battery chargers" and " CTECK battery chargers" etc etc.

The more i read it the more i got confused and frustrated, so after few days of reading the archives, i finally decided to go with Porsche battery charger and it seems to be working just fine.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:16 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
The Porsche charger that plugs into cig lighter has worked great for me for several years...no issues with charger and Battery lasted for 5 years before having to be replace.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:46 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
I have the Porsche cigarette lighter one for 2 cars and it's been flawless.

I have Ctek ones as well for other cars and they've been perfect as well.

I don't love the ones that attach to the battery but only use those when I have no other option.

Battery tenders are the greatest...I used to replace the battery on my 911 all the time and couldn't figure out why...until I got the tender.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:37 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Forgot to mention, i don't ever recall changing the battery in my C2 Turbo and i mean, i am talking several years here.

Been using the Porsche cig lighter battery tender for at-least 3-4 years though

Old 12-13-2011, 03:42 PM
So do both of the ones I originally posted work the same? Is their a benefit in getting the pricier one?

Old 12-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by spooling
what is the difference between this maintainer
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//98061198100.html

thanks!
This is the one i bought and this is the one i have for my other car too.

I was told by parts guy "Aldo" at Suncoast Porsche that you can jump start the car ( or something like that ) with this one not to mention could be use to keep the battery going in the Lawn mower etc etc.

Hope it helps.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by quick
This is the one i bought and this is the one i have for my other car too.

I was told by parts guy "Aldo" at Suncoast Porsche that you can jump start the car ( or something like that ) with this one not to mention could be use to keep the battery going in the Lawn mower etc etc.

Hope it helps.
So the one you bought works fine? Can you leave it in for a few weeks at a time without overcharging?

Old 12-13-2011, 06:51 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by spooling
So do both of the ones I originally posted work the same? Is their a benefit in getting the pricier one?
The pricier one give you a lighted read out as to if the battery is charging(Orange) or fully charged (green). Also modes for cars or motorcycles.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Thank you all for your help. I think I am going to go with this one http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//98061198100.html
Before I buy it, I want to just clarify if i am able to just lug this into the socket and not worry about it over charging or anything. Could be many weeks

Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 PM
jakeskiny is infamous around these parts
I have this one... mine turns off after a few days so it should be fine if you leave it for a few weeks. I'm not sure if it ever turns on again if the battery starts losing charge. Mine has never automatically turned on again after it automatically turns off. I suspect that it does not have a floating charge mechanism like the other charger that you were looking at.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: battery maintainer for 997.1 turbo