997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo S or 991 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:23 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
For me, the point of concern is not how great the 997TTs is - it's a great car, but the timing. 997 is *already* an obsolete platform. That's tough when you just depart with 150k and know you are buying a 5-6 years-old platform. Newer is not better but in Porsche case, you know it has a good chance to be. For sure, it will be faster. Hence my rec. to find a cheaper used Porsche now and wait for 991 Turbo.

Perhaps I feel different because I tend to pay off my car and keep it a long time. Perhaps outright ownership means more attachment, more pain, more "what if." LOL. As I have mentioned, if you are going to lease the car, then it doesn't matter - go for 997TTs now, 991 Turbo when lease is over.

For me, if I buy any new 997 now, I will have great regret whenever a 991 goes past. "I could have/should have waited."

Last edited by cannga; 12-19-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 PM
godspeed521 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cannga
For me, the point of concern is not how great the 997TTs is - it's a great car, but the timing. 997 is *already* an obsolete platform. That's tough when you just depart with 150k and know you are buying a 5-6 years-old platform. Newer is not better but in Porsche case, you know it has a good chance to be. For sure, it will be faster. Hence my rec. to find a cheaper used Porsche now and wait for 991 Turbo.

Perhaps I feel different because I tend to pay off my car and keep it a long time. Perhaps outright ownership means more attachment, more pain, more "what if." LOL. As I have mentioned, if you are going to lease the car, then it doesn't matter - go for 997TTs now, 991 Turbo when lease is over.

For me, if I buy any new 997 now, I will have great regret whenever a 991 goes past. "I could have/should have waited."
With the huge demands in Asia, particularly China, I see the 991 Turbo increasing in price over the current MY. There is the potential that this increase may help keep the 997 Turbo S prices up in the used market.. just a guess.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:19 PM
12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold
turbos s

Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I still think it's kind of silly compare the first cut 991S to a last cut 997TTS myself. For some potential perspective, would you rather have a 996TTS or a 997S? I cannot fathom picking the 997S over the 996TTS from the historical perspective despite the nicer looks of the 997S.

I mean we're talking about significant performance differences here, and the potential of the turbocharged motor is so much greater. I suppose some of that comes down to what you plan to use the car for (as always), but the performance nut cannot help but rationalize that the 991S is just a preview of things to come. It's not like we're comparing a 997TTS with a 991GT3 or 991TT, right?

Old 12-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !

You are absolutely spot on Can. Buying an old platform at this stage in the game has a range of potential problems. The new cycle has begun. It's all downhill for the 997 from here on end.

If OP didnt have a Porsche and had an undying urge to satify then a used tt would be the safer and wiser option.

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I still think it's kind of silly compare the first cut 991S to a last cut 997TTS myself. For some potential perspective, would you rather have a 996TTS or a 997S? I cannot fathom picking the 997S over the 996TTS from the historical perspective despite the nicer looks of the 997S.

I mean we're talking about significant performance differences here, and the potential of the turbocharged motor is so much greater. I suppose some of that comes down to what you plan to use the car for (as always), but the performance nut cannot help but rationalize that the 991S is just a preview of things to come. It's not like we're comparing a 997TTS with a 991GT3 or 991TT, right?
I bought a new 997s over an outgoing 996TTS for logical reasons. I knew the TTS was faster with ceramics and a swag of other goodies but it was old news against the 991 and blind freddy could see it when the two were parked side by side. The whole look and feel of the new 997 platform was simply too attractive to overlook. I have absolutely no regrets sacrificing the better acceleration of the tts and the 997s was an awesome car in so many ways. Getting a toe hold in on the newer model also proved later to be the better move as the hit i would have taken on the 996tts when i traded the 997s for the 997tt would have have knocked me out of the game. So my spell in the 997s worked out well there even if not as "fast" as 996tts. You quote performance but there is more to performance than outright acceleration, and all when you look at 997tts and 991S all other performance advantages will be with the new car. As Can has pointed out, the 997 is a platform that has been in the market for some 7 years. As good as 997TTS is, the reality is the model is prices certainly won't be going anywhere other than down. Now if money is not an issue then the OP should buy the TTS and take the big pill (and it will be a biggy) when the new TT model is released not that far from now. However, if he's got loads of tear up money and it won't bother him in the slightest, then do it. If money matters then buying someone else's pain (997TT.TTs) makes a lot more financial sense than touching a new one, heavily discounted or not as these discounts have proven to be sales decoys. You also talk about the higher price of the newer 991 car making the outgoing 997 hold its value c'mon you wish ? Well it certainly didn't happen when the more expensive 997TT.2 was released and it sure won't be happening when the more expensive 991tt is released.. I'll put money on it if anyone is brave enough to bet against me.

Finally on the point of outright acceleration. If that was the main and only considering factor perhaps a GTR would be a better proposition again as it is cheaper $ yet delivers the same or better acceleration and track results....and there is a new one out a few months from now that is claiming 0 to 100 of 2.8 sec. But we all know there is a lot more to a car than its acceleration (ok...well some here know). A car has to drive right and give that necessary feel good and thats why many spend more money on Porsches that don't go as hard as a GTR on the" performance yardstick"....namely the infamous ring....but we know 99% of driving isn't there but on the road. The Porsche is generally quoted as the more satisfying package by 99.999% of journos reviewing and judging the two. OK no flame GTR guys, i dont want to turn this into a GTR vs Porsche debate....but i do hope you Porsche guys get the picture what i'm referring to here. As i said, the smart money is on the 991S ....unless you are swimming it$$$$....and only then will i say GL go buy that new tts.

Last edited by speed21; 12-20-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Sobrut911 is infamous around these parts
Sicam, I am going to assume you can buy/afford the TTS because you've already ordered it, so my advice is to go with what your heart, mind and gut tells you. These cars aren't investments. If you want an appreciating asset then invest in stocks, precious metals or real estate ( but as we all know from history these may lose value big time). You can always put it on hold until you get a look at and test drive the 991. It should be on showroom floors shortly. Don't forget that the new model won't be discounted for awhile so you'll be paying sticker or close to it when a year or so from now buyers will be paying a lot less. Plus there may be some problems with the new model that will need to get worked out. I'm sure you'll enjoy either one.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:49 AM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Are you going to keep this car a long time? If just a couple of years, then TTs, but if longer, then IMHO you should wait for 991 Turbo.

If you must have a Porsche now (can't you wait?), get a cheap, or used one, while waiting for 991 Turbo.
I have to agree with Cannga 100%. Get a used TT or TTs and wait for the 991TT to soften the depreciation blow, and have fun in the meantime...

Old 12-20-2011, 05:31 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Simple.... Do you want to go fast... or not so fast?

Old 12-20-2011, 06:37 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21

I bought a new 997s over an outgoing 996TTS for logical reasons. I knew the TTS was faster with ceramics and a swag of other goodies but it was old news against the 991 and blind freddy could see it when the two were parked side by side. The whole look and feel of the new 997 platform was simply too attractive to overlook. I have absolutely no regrets sacrificing the better acceleration of the tts and the 997s was an awesome car in so many ways. Getting a toe hold in on the newer model also proved later to be the better move as the hit i would have taken on the 996tts when i traded the 997s for the 997tt would have have knocked me out of the game. So my spell in the 997s worked out well there even if not as "fast" as 996tts. You quote performance but there is more to performance than outright acceleration, and all when you look at 997tts and 991S all other performance advantages will be with the new car. As Can has pointed out, the 997 is a platform that has been in the market for some 7 years. As good as 997TTS is, the reality is the model is prices certainly won't be going anywhere other than down. Now if money is not an issue then the OP should buy the TTS and take the big pill (and it will be a biggy) when the new TT model is released not that far from now. However, if he's got loads of tear up money and it won't bother him in the slightest, then do it. If money matters then buying someone else's pain (997TT.TTs) makes a lot more financial sense than touching a new one, heavily discounted or not as these discounts have proven to be sales decoys. You also talk about the higher price of the newer 991 car making the outgoing 997 hold its value c'mon you wish ? Well it certainly didn't happen when the more expensive 997TT.2 was released and it sure won't be happening when the more expensive 991tt is released.. I'll put money on it if anyone is brave enough to bet against me.

Finally on the point of outright acceleration. If that was the main and only considering factor perhaps a GTR would be a better proposition again as it is cheaper $ yet delivers the same or better acceleration and track results....and there is a new one out a few months from now that is claiming 0 to 100 of 2.8 sec. But we all know there is a lot more to a car than its acceleration (ok...well some here know). A car has to drive right and give that necessary feel good and thats why many spend more money on Porsches that don't go as hard as a GTR on the" performance yardstick"....namely the infamous ring....but we know 99% of driving isn't there but on the road. The Porsche is generally quoted as the more satisfying package by 99.999% of journos reviewing and judging the two. OK no flame GTR guys, i dont want to turn this into a GTR vs Porsche debate....but i do hope you Porsche guys get the picture what i'm referring to here. As i said, the smart money is on the 991S ....unless you are swimming it$$$$....and only then will i say GL go buy that new tts.
The problem with your argument is that you're basing everything against expected depreciation, whereas I'm not. I cannot argue with you that a 997TTS is going to depreciate faster, but I don't base car buying decisions on depreciation.

As you yourself used your 997S as a stepping stone to a later 997TT I guess I'm a bit confused...since performance clearly does matter to you too. My responses are treating the OP's decision as his 'final' car, not as a hedge against future depreciation.

If I could pick between a 997TTS or a 991S, I'd pick the 997TTS every single time for a performance car. If I had to pick between them as a choice between depreciating assets, I'd choose the 991S. However, I am not clear on how much that matters to the OP. Best wishes!

Old 12-20-2011, 04:03 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
How new does a 991S look in the rear view mirror?

IMO...there is no amount of depreciation that masks the feeling of being passed by the quicker car. The fancy lights and interior won't matter.

Take the hit and trade up when the time comes. You can afford it and you'll be glad you did.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I have moved across 3 turbo variants and never thought I had owned something old or not comparable. When the time came to upgrade I went with the newest model because that was what I could afford to do. I still look back at my 996 tt with great fondness and no regrets.
For me it would be the TTS without question. No matter what the 991tt looks or drives like a few years out the 997TTS will still be a better than awesome car. The 3 10ths or 4 10ths of a second of acceleration difference will never be realized by 90% of the people on this board myself included. The 997 platform will be remembered and appreciated for years to come. Get what you want not what people think you should have.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
The problem with your argument is that you're basing everything against expected depreciation, whereas I'm not. I cannot argue with you that a 997TTS is going to depreciate faster, but I don't base car buying decisions on depreciation.

As you yourself used your 997S as a stepping stone to a later 997TT I guess I'm a bit confused...since performance clearly does matter to you too. My responses are treating the OP's decision as his 'final' car, not as a hedge against future depreciation.

If I could pick between a 997TTS or a 991S, I'd pick the 997TTS every single time for a performance car. If I had to pick between them as a choice between depreciating assets, I'd choose the 991S. However, I am not clear on how much that matters to the OP. Best wishes!
I don't see the "problem" at all. It depends on how you look at it. Please don't get your feathers ruffled on my account. Your argument is based soley on outright acceleration which is absolutely perfectly fine by me. Mine however is based on the overall driving experience whilst giving consideration to the financial aspect associated to changing an outgoing model after a new model has been in the market 18 months or more. It was food for thought. OP asked for opinions and got them. I'm sure he will make his mind up regardless. Either car he buys won't bother me (nor should it bother you) in the slightest. Ultimately it's his money and, decision as i think we all know. Questioning my logic by saying performance doesn't matter to me is missing the mark entirely and a little personal. So as it evidently concerns you, to help clear up your "confusion" my moving into a turbo from an atmo 997s was primarily a box ticking exercise. My initial preference was actually to get GT3 series 2 but circumstances arose and i wasn't prepared to wait so i cancelled my order. Out of Porsches line up imho the turbo (TTS inc) is not the better drive out of the fleet even though its acceleration may well be (not inc GT2RS of course). Performance stands for a number of things where a Porsche is concerned and its NOT just all about pure acceleration. As it so happens I have become rather addicted to the acceleration of the turbo however, that is not discounting the fact the 997S was a brilliant car as well in its own right. My next Porsche may well be a GT3. The GT3 definitely stirs the senses when driven at the limit far more than any TTS will....probably also holds value better pro rata as well....who knows. You simply can't beat the atmo noise of an engine at 8000,rpms or the feedback from a red chassis...nothing quite stirs the senses like it. Who knows, I may well get another TT when the 991 tt comes out ...don't know. I'll look at it when its out. One thing i do know is the 991S in any form will hold its dollars better and will remain current for next 7 year cycle, and for that matter will probably drive better than any 997. The 997, as brilliant as it is, will be a shrinking violet. Still a fantastic car....but old news in comparison to the 991 none the less. Just saying....from the shoes of a 997TT owner.

Last edited by speed21; 12-21-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:00 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
I'd just wait for the 991TT!
Some info (speculative) on the 2013 991 Turbo

http://www.neuralblog.com/_content/P...-736_pn-1.html

...Don't expect the Porsche 991 Turbo to have a huge increase in power over the 997: "we're anticipating that the twin-turbocharged version of the latest 3.8 liter flat six will have around 520bhp. This is in comparison to the current car which throws down a whopping 493bhp and just short of the 997 Turbo S sitting at a 530bhp mark...

Last edited by pureporsche; 12-21-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
I don't see the "problem" at all. It depends on how you look at it. Please don't get your feathers ruffled on my account. Your argument is based soley on outright acceleration which is absolutely perfectly fine by me. Mine however is based on the overall driving experience whilst giving consideration to the financial aspect associated to changing an outgoing model after a new model has been in the market 18 months or more. It was food for thought. OP asked for opinions and got them. I'm sure he will make his mind up regardless. Either car he buys won't bother me (nor should it bother you) in the slightest. Ultimately it's his money and, decision as i think we all know. Questioning my logic by saying performance doesn't matter to me is missing the mark entirely and a little personal. So as it evidently concerns you, to help clear up your "confusion" my moving into a turbo from an atmo 997s was primarily a box ticking exercise. My initial preference was actually to get GT3 series 2 but circumstances arose and i wasn't prepared to wait so i cancelled my order. Out of Porsches line up imho the turbo (TTS inc) is not the better drive out of the fleet even though its acceleration may well be (not inc GT2RS of course). Performance stands for a number of things where a Porsche is concerned and its NOT just all about pure acceleration. As it so happens I have become rather addicted to the acceleration of the turbo however, that is not discounting the fact the 997S was a brilliant car as well in its own right. My next Porsche may well be a GT3. The GT3 definitely stirs the senses when driven at the limit far more than any TTS will....probably also holds value better pro rata as well....who knows. You simply can't beat the atmo noise of an engine at 8000,rpms or the feedback from a red chassis...nothing quite stirs the senses like it. Who knows, I may well get another TT when the 991 tt comes out ...don't know. I'll look at it when its out. One thing i do know is the 991S in any form will hold its dollars better and will remain current for next 7 year cycle, and for that matter will probably drive better than any 997. The 997, as brilliant as it is, will be a shrinking violet. Still a fantastic car....but old news in comparison to the 991 none the less. Just saying....from the shoes of a 997TT owner.
No feathers were ruffled during this conversation, just trying to understand your viewpoint since you stand in contrast to many of us. However, I understand what you're saying much more clearly now and can see it better from your perspective. Happy Holidays to you!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:17 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
The other thing to consider is this.

This is the first version of the 991. When it gets a face lift in 2-3 years, it will still be slower than a TTS and dated looking in its own right.

This shouldn't be a decision based on depreciation as this is a toy. It should really be what you want... a new style 911 or the best performing, fastest version they currently make (TTS).

For me the choice would be simple (was simple) as my TTS is only 8 months old.

Not a bad decision to have...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo S or 991 Carrera S