997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

so confused! - don't know which one to choose - please help me :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:08 AM
pelo911 is infamous around these parts
so confused! - don't know which one to choose - please help me :)

i drove almost all porsche models
even the Carrera GT (didn't tried the GT2)

i don't know if i want to get PDK or Manual

those are the model i love so much:
Cayman R , i test drive the Cayman S and i love it - so i'm guessing i will love the R even better.

911 GTS RWD - i test drive the Manual gear box - love it !

GT3 2010 - test it yesterday 5 minutes after the GTS
this car is Unbelievable!

997 Turbo , yesterday i test drive the 2008 model
for some reason i didn't like it so much , GTS and GT3 are much fun to drive and feel better in Handling - maybe because it's used car Vs GTS and GT3 new?
how is the 2010 Turbo model compare?

it's so hard to choose !
all of them are so great cars!

Cayman R/S - i wish it will have bigger engine
this car need more Torque and more horsepower , GTS engine will be perfect.
the Cayman R as limited slip differential?

GT3 it's a perfect car , but the sales person scared me about insurance and maintenance , is it true?
can you guide me how much it's cost? i will drive around 5K miles per year.

Turbo , not sure if it's true
but i feel that the AWD kill the Fun and the Handling
is it true?
the only thing i love it's the unbelievable engine that can be easily tuned to more then 550 horsepower.
there is something to improve the Handling? maybe coilover?
i wish that porsche will made a simple button to cancel the AWD when you want to go RWD

i think what i care the most is the handling , Fun to drive , quick turn in , steering precise and "feeling" , engine great sound
thank you for your help

Last edited by pelo911; 12-21-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Seems your last sentence would indicate a GT3. Beyond that, the opinions of others (myself included) is of little significance in what floats your boat. You've done the right thing in driving the various models. We all want different things in a 911, and I've owned EVERY coupe variant of the 997 to include a 2011 GT3. It was just not for me and I sold it after 12 months and just took delivery on a 2012 Turbo. I am SO glad to be back in the Turbo...I think it is the best all around 997...but I'm looking for 'all around'....not specific things as you stated you are.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by tssci
Seems your last sentence would indicate a GT3. Beyond that, the opinions of others (myself included) is of little significance in what floats your boat. You've done the right thing in driving the various models. We all want different things in a 911, and I've owned EVERY coupe variant of the 997 to include a 2011 GT3. It was just not for me and I sold it after 12 months and just took delivery on a 2012 Turbo. I am SO glad to be back in the Turbo...I think it is the best all around 997...but I'm looking for 'all around'....not specific things as you stated you are.
can you try to explain why you like the Turbo more then the GT3?
because the turbo more quiet and comfort to use every day?
because you love the torque and the power of the turbo engine?
grip of AWD?
tuning option? in the turbo in Two minutes with ECU upgrade you can get 600 horse power and kill any stock Ferrari and Lamborghini !!!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 PM
saeyedoc is infamous around these partssaeyedoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pelo911
the Cayman R as limited slip differential?
Cayman R comes with limited slip, it's optional in the other Caymans

Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Whats your price range?

You can get a 08' 997 GT2 slightly used for under 150k. It has only RWD, more torque then a regluar TT, much lighter and much better handling, steering, and overall feel.
Otherwise a GT3 would be best, especially the RS. The insurance is a little more on a GT model car since you are more likely to track it, at this price point it should not be a consideration. But the maintenance is not an issue with any 911 model.
The 997.2 turbo's are much better in handling and power than the 997.1 turbo that you drove. If you get a 997.2 turbo than you should get the PDK since it utilized the power of that car much better, all other models of 911 the manual is preferred.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:29 PM
otoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud of
Do you plan on any modifications, IE tuning the cars ECU exhaust or beyond? Do you care if it is lightly used? Look at posts here in regards to limitations of each of the models tuning possibilities you were looking at if that is the case. If you want some Porsche **** check out sharkwerks website's "builds" page. They have a long list of mods on all the models of P-cars you were looking at. If none of the above is you, I think that what makes you feel best, is best, and no one here can tell YOU otherwise.

Hope to see a picture of your new ride here soon, as this is the best place I believe to learn about your new car.

Cheers,
otoppero

Old 12-21-2011, 03:40 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Get the model you can't stop thinking about within budget. Then never log into this site again and enjoy the car.

Only kidding about this site but reading about wheels, tunes, suspension and more will tempt you no matter the model you select.

I've driven all the models you have listed. IMO they all have something to offer just depends what will make you happy.

Sounds lame, I know, you're looking for some science behind why X is better and this is exactly what you should get. Porsche is smart, they want you to buy a turbo and GT3, and I agree that's not a bad idea.

To your question though...post your budget and where you plan to drive the 5k/year and you'll get very specific repsonses on the model.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:15 PM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pelo911
can you try to explain why you like the Turbo more then the GT3?
because the turbo more quiet and comfort to use every day?
because you love the torque and the power of the turbo engine?
grip of AWD?
tuning option? in the turbo in Two minutes with ECU upgrade you can get 600 horse power and kill any stock Ferrari and Lamborghini !!!
Yes to quiet, comfort and addictive torque. As to tuning, I leave my cars alone...just don' see the need - particularly with a car that already comes with 500 horsepower. While the GT3 needs room to run to fully enjoy it, you can have a blast in 100 yards with the Turbo with its immense power and torque - a true carnival ride. I'm not a track guy, and for real world driving, my comment remains - I think the Turbo delivers the best all around experience and utility in a sports car - quiet, comfortable, all weather capability, and silly horsepower. As I and the other posters have reminded you, YOU need to decide your priorities...you can't make a bad decision in my opinion with a 997 car.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Jeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of light
+1 on tssci last post.....

Old 12-21-2011, 07:23 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
From what you said, especially if you want the best sound on top of everything else, the GT3 is the car for you. Fun to drive, RWD, great sound, great suspension, etc. Don't let the maintenance and insurance scare you. My GT2 is totally reasonable to own. The mods are what will cost you, once you get hooked.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by shtfrbrains
From what you said, especially if you want the best sound on top of everything else, the GT3 is the car for you. Fun to drive, RWD, great sound, great suspension, etc. Don't let the maintenance and insurance scare you. My GT2 is totally reasonable to own. The mods are what will cost you, once you get hooked.
how much approx the insurance of GT models cost (GT3/GT2)?
i'm 31 years old , no history of accidents or speed tickets
i live in Houston , Texas

GT2:
i never test this model
this car scared me the most! "widow maker"

GT2 it's basically GT3 with the 911 turbo engine and RWD?

sound to me like you need to be a pro driver to handle this monster , right?

in the other hand , the car that scared you the most , this the car you will love the most.
this is why i love my CBR1000RR for example.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:10 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
More info helps...from one rider to the next.

Sport bikes are very fun and of course offer the danger that come with riding. I own a R1 and enjoy the extreme rush of speed, light weight and incredible handling. But...and a big but...I don't race it on a track, rarely ride it due to the heat, congestion and enjoy other toys more.

You likely bought a litre bike for similar reasons. If you desire the same rush that you get from the bike I strongly suggest you opt for a turbo. You'll likely end up parking the bike for good once you find it's just as fast/fun and much safer when you learn how to drive it.

You don't have to be a pro to drive a GT2, GT3, etc...just like you don't when you buy a CBR1000, R1, etc...although some should receive some level of training IMO.

Call your insurance company and get some quotes on the various models. There are many threads here that reveal what others pay.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:06 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Dude, did you just win the lottery? You are comparing cars that cost $80k with cars that cost $200k. Some that are good dailies and some that are weekend only. There is a lot of respect on this board, but threads like this just don't make any sense. What is your car now? Do you know how to drive? You've thrown out the GT2, yet you're worried about the insurance??? If you buy a GT2, you should be in a position that you don't give a damn about insurance. Sorry, this is a troll post.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:13 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
this is what you need
a 997.1 turbo with an upgraded suspension (coilovers, sway bars)
get some better tires (the gt3 you drove has a completely different compound of tire compared to the turbo).

you will have 9/10ths the handling and grip of a gt3, and the USABLE power of a gt2.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:32 PM
MTV
MTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really nice
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
this is what you need
a 997.1 turbo with an upgraded suspension (coilovers, sway bars)
get some better tires (the gt3 you drove has a completely different compound of tire compared to the turbo).

you will have 9/10ths the handling and grip of a gt3, and the USABLE power of a gt2.
Listen to this guy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: so confused! - don't know which one to choose - please help me :)