997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Chipped Crankcase. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 04:20 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Chipped Crankcase. Any suggestions?

When the car was on the lift the yesterday, we noticed the crankcase bottom was damaged with some minor scratches. Any suggestions on a fix? .

Last edited by TTdude; 03-02-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Nick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to behold
Ouch,
i'd remove the bolt and see if you can get it welded, then run a tap through the bolt hole.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:41 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I had similar damage on my old 996 when my car was lifted with a jack without rubber or wood blocks. I ended up using a grinder to smooth things out. There was never any leaking issues, I did it for cosmetics only.

Last edited by bbywu; 12-31-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
man that sucks. If I were you, I will probably get a pair of new case when build the motor. I was at the dealership having a small oil seepage looked at last year. At first they thought that my case may be cracked, they said once the case is cracked it's not repairable.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Hi Dave and Happy new year to you! Looking at it i doubt it will progress into anything more. Sure its a shame it's there and is certainly a sad reflection of someones negligent incompetence. Sheez i sure hope Todd had nothing to do with that? Why anyone would jack the car like that beggars belief. If ever you had the engine out you could always have the area stitched/welded, re-dressed up and so on... Maybe just don't look under there from now on ok .

Old 12-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I'm no engineer but I'm betting it's OK? If it aint broke... It does look an abrasion or scrape but could obviously be a jacking issue. Maybe get a longer bolt and put a nut washer on both sides to "squeeze" the area together without relying as much on the case itself for the joint?

Old 12-31-2011, 10:06 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Thanks guys.I appreciate the feedback. Definitely cosmetic.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Last edited by TTdude; 03-02-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Thanks guys.I appreciate the feedback. I'm hoping it's like what Bobby said and that it's not deep and I can just grind it out. I don't like the looks of it or the other 'scrapes' either so I'm planning on taking it to a machine shop and have them smooth everything out. I know for a fact that my car was indeed lifted on a floor jack and it is not Protomotive that I'm referring to here. But I have no proof of who/what is responsible for the cause. The torque on the case bolts is only 9.5 ft-lbs so I have that going for me. I'll know better once the case is removed and will post an update. Crankcases are expensive $6-7K so that's out of the question. I will either fill/drill/tap or drill/tap another fastener next to it. If all else fails, I'll weld the damn thing shut. LOL.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Dave, I don't think leaking will be an issue. Many of the 996TTs and 997TTs I've worked on have similar damage from careless lifting.

But if aesthetics is an issue, when the crankcase is split, get a welder to carefully build it up, grind it even, then ceramic coat it black. You'll never see the problem. And I doubt that the heat from a small weld spot would be an issue.

bob

Old 12-31-2011, 10:21 PM
My guess is that this was the problem:

I usually use a hockey puck.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:24 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't touch the damn thing!! But if it comes to it, I have new and used cases for much less than that.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Dave, I don't think leaking will be an issue. Many of the 996TTs and 997TTs I've worked on have similar damage from careless lifting.

But if aesthetics is an issue, when the crankcase is split, get a welder to carefully build it up, grind it even, then ceramic coat it black. You'll never see the problem. And I doubt that the heat from a small weld spot would be an issue.

bob
Thanks Bob for the advice. That's probably what I'll do. It's so annoying than when you try to take meticulous care of your car but then you let someone else work on it, you find stuff like this going on.

Originally Posted by bbywu
My guess is that this was the problem:

I usually use a hockey puck.
Great idea!

Originally Posted by pumptech
I wouldn't touch the damn thing!! But if it comes to it, I have new and used cases for much less than that.
Thanks for the offer! Really appreciate it.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:57 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Dave,
Too bad you noticed it!

I doubt it will amount to anything. Wouldn't worry about unless it leaks later. Your plan is solid if it does though...

Old 12-31-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by MBailey
Dave,
Too bad you noticed it!

I doubt it will amount to anything. Wouldn't worry about unless it leaks later. Your plan is solid if it does though...
Yeah Mike. I agree.

Last edited by TTdude; 03-02-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:16 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
thats bad , but do not worry as i know this area will not be under presure , i think once you buid the engine , the builder will fix that ..

dave any update for your monster

Old 01-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by ysfg35
thats bad , but do not worry as i know this area will not be under presure , i think once you buid the engine , the builder will fix that ..

dave any update for your monster
Thanks Yousef.

Last edited by TTdude; 03-02-2012 at 11:39 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chipped Crankcase. Any suggestions?