997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Motor Upgrade Begins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:16 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
i wouldnt put it back together without doing 12mm head studs...jmo!That plus a good set of rods and a GT3 rs crank and intermediate shaft and you can throw boost at it all day long!

Old 01-02-2012, 02:35 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Good stuff Dave. What happened with your crankcase?

What does porting the heads accomplish? Yes it is a slippery slope when you start thinking "while I'm here why don't I also do...".
Porting generally improves flow by reducing turbulence. You really need to know what you're doing and whether it will indeed have an effect. You have to find someone who really knows these motors and have performed flow tests. But honestly, I just want to see what I can get out this set-up with some "bolt-ons"--haha.

[quote=jhbrennan;3414676]
Good stuff Dave. What happened with your crankcase?https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ggestions.html
Originally Posted by cannga
Way beyond my level of modding but interesting nevertheless. Good luck and have fun Dave.
Thanks guys. Can--I know what you mean. That's how I feel when you talk about suspensions--lol.

Originally Posted by Turbo Kyle
Cant wait to see the results. I plan on getting a 911 TT soon. I'm glad my first post is in a build thread .
Welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted by joetwint
i wouldnt put it back together without doing 12mm head studs...jmo!That plus a good set of rods and a GT3 rs crank and intermediate shaft and you can throw boost at it all day long!
Excellent points Joe. Unfortunately, not in the budget right now. Is the GT3 rs crank journals the same size as 997t? I've been debating on the 12 mm studs, however. My heads could already be lifting a little at high boost with stock studs which one reason I'm doing this upgrade. Todd tuned this thing to the max. Hopefully my upgrade will hold the power and I'll be able to enjoy this set-up for a while. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by TTdude; 01-02-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:07 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
yes the journals are bigger....

Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 PM
you will not regret doing the studs...i know of a few that did their motors and wish now that they had done the 12 mm studs

Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Hi Dave, looks good but am i reading it right you're not changing pistons and so on? I mean you'll be removing those to change the rods anyway so it goes without saying you'll be changing the rings right? And pulling the engine apart and putting it back together is the main expense here. It's just seems an opportunity too good to miss really as having to back over that same old ground again at a later point only means the same parts you are changing now will be getting changed again in that process....meaning more expense again. Same goes with porting the heads. I assume you'll be removing the valves...a quick relapp, new stem seals and so on. Do it once do it right i say .

Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
While I'm not in Dave's shoes, I think once you start blueprinting an engine build, you could go absolutely crazy with every internal upgrade that makes a major dent in your budget. If I'm reading him correctly and based on a few emails, I think he's got a good idea where he wants to be in terms of horsepower, and the build he is committing to should keep him safe at that level.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Hear what you say bob. It can sure add up indeed. Always interested to hear the details of the build list (new parts and any reconditioning work to the core parts) though. So Dave give me gory details....i promise not to be too critical

Old 01-02-2012, 10:27 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
TTdude I like where this is going. That setup should be pretty stout to hold your e85-3076 setup probably pegging those turbos to the max making close to 1k whp! Being that Proto tuned your car to 983whp the first time and also considering that 3076 tial turbo is rated to 495whp (per turbo) that should have you flying down any track/ course that you find your self at. Awesome setup for your power limits that you currently have... Once you switch to an externally gated 35xx garret turbo is when your start wishing you had done the high rate valve springs, gt3 crank, forged rings, 12mm studs and whatever they can tweak... But I think it was you that once said that building a motor like that is just a way to chase down some more variables that can go wrong... soon enough you'll be back in business and and have no regrets for the power you seek.

Cheers

Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
While I'm not in Dave's shoes, I think once you start blueprinting an engine build, you could go absolutely crazy with every internal upgrade that makes a major dent in your budget. If I'm reading him correctly and based on a few emails, I think he's got a good idea where he wants to be in terms of horsepower, and the build he is committing to should keep him safe at that level.
Thanks Bob. That's pretty much it. I'm trying to keep it simple and within my budget.

Originally Posted by speed21
Hear what you say bob. It can sure add up indeed. Always interested to hear the details of the build list (new parts and any reconditioning work to the core parts) though. So Dave give me gory details....i promise not to be too critical
Hey Paul, No worries. Please keep it interesting! I expect no less! This build is the opposite of Slow's--lol. The shop did a compression/leak down test and everything was fine. We'll do another one when it gets reassembled. Todd K laid out a potential laundry list of internal upgrades ranging from the basic to valve springs, pistons, sleeves, larger studs, crank, etc.. It all sounds so tempting but sometimes less is more. The car is already making huge horsepower on stock motor. I don't track the car, it's not my daily driver, just a few blast offs here and there for some fun. I think these basic upgrades will provide the peace of mind I'm looking for.

Originally Posted by salerno713
TTdude I like where this is going. That setup should be pretty stout to hold your e85-3076 setup probably pegging those turbos to the max making close to 1k whp! Being that Proto tuned your car to 983whp the first time and also considering that 3076 tial turbo is rated to 495whp (per turbo) that should have you flying down any track/ course that you find your self at. Awesome setup for your power limits that you currently have... Once you switch to an externally gated 35xx garret turbo is when your start wishing you had done the high rate valve springs, gt3 crank, forged rings, 12mm studs and whatever they can tweak... But I think it was you that once said that building a motor like that is just a way to chase down some more variables that can go wrong... soon enough you'll be back in business and and have no regrets for the power you seek.

Cheers
Thanks Salerno. That's kinda how I'm looking at it right now. The more things I change the more chances that I'll mess something up. I think this is called Markski's Law--lol. He's been great. There are so many variables in play that I'm taking the approach of just strengthening an already very efficient motor. How's your build coming along? All the best with finishing.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:41 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Although unrelated to upgrades for power, have you considered doing your coolant pipes while the engine is out? Relatively cheap insurance for a well known problem, even on stock cars. Really wish I did mine when my engine was out getting this fixed.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
Although unrelated to upgrades for power, have you considered doing your coolant pipes while the engine is out? Relatively cheap insurance for a well known problem, even on stock cars. Really wish I did mine when my engine was out getting this fixed.
Good idea Ed. How does one remove stock coolant pipes? Heat?

Old 01-03-2012, 04:51 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
My tech went through 2 packages of the coolant repair pipes because there are other glued fittings that can be addressed.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:02 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
^^There you go, Dave.
Salerno, those are some sweet welds

Old 01-03-2012, 06:43 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Some good suggestions here (especially the coolant pipes). But this is the "slippery slope" I was worried about...12mm studs (I presume that is diameter and that you have to bore out the original 10mm hole?), updated crankshaft (and why would the GT3RS crankshaft be stronger than the one on the turbo????), etc...

Old 01-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by salerno713
My tech went through 2 packages of the coolant repair pipes because there are other glued fittings that can be addressed.
Thanks Salerno! Nice pics. You should post pics of your build. They look awesome!

Some good suggestions here (especially the coolant pipes). But this is the "slippery slope" I was worried about...12mm studs (I presume that is diameter and that you have to bore out the original 10mm hole?), updated crankshaft (and why would the GT3RS crankshaft be stronger than the one on the turbo????), etc...
Yes you have to drill a 12 mm hole but no need to update the crankshaft for the larger stud. GT3 revs higher so presumably it's stronger crank.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motor Upgrade Begins