997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Motor Upgrade Begins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Why not just use the Sharkwerks trick?

Old 01-03-2012, 10:49 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Thanks Bob. Looks like a nIce solution. I'll look into it. It seems easier than torching it off and welding although I wonder if it is more prone to eventual leakage. I wonder how widespread the problem is? I know a few who have had issues but it seems the majority is OK?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Hey Paul, No worries. Please keep it interesting! I expect no less! This build is It all sounds so tempting but sometimes less is more. The car is already making huge horsepower on stock motor. I don't track the car, it's not my daily driver, just a few blast offs here and there for some fun. I think these basic upgrades will provide the peace of mind I'm looking for.
Understand completely Dave. I'd be much the same, although i'd probably need someone to keep me in check with the parts. You have to draw a line somewhere, that i would agree. But let me now the build list of parts ok, and any re machining. I'd like to know exactly what you're replacing and what with.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Thanks Bob. Looks like a nIce solution. I'll look into it. It seems easier than torching it off and welding although I wonder if it is more prone to eventual leakage. I wonder how widespread the problem is? I know a few who have had issues but it seems the majority is OK?
We've done two of them over the past 2 weeks Dave. If you're engine's already out...DEFINITELY do it.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:26 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Understand completely Dave. I'd be much the same, although i'd probably need someone to keep me in check with the parts. You have to draw a line somewhere, that i would agree. But let me now the build list of parts ok, and any re machining. I'd like to know exactly what you're replacing and what with.
Besides the main stuff like rods and headstuds, there's a bunch of little things like seals, o-rings, gaskets, etc...that the shop is taking care of for me. We plan to check everything out. If any of the decks need resurfacing or I decide to go with the larger headstud, we'll do that--so stay tuned.

Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
We've done two of them over the past 2 weeks Dave. If you're engine's already out...DEFINITELY do it.
Thanks Tom. Did you do them as a preventative measure or was there an existing problem?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Turbo Kyle is infamous around these parts

That's what a solution looks like. Excellent work!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !

Thanks Tom. Did you do them as a preventative measure or was there an existing problem?
These two in particular were done because they failed and starting spewing coolant everywhere.

Normally, though, we try to do them as a preventative measure any time we've got an engine out of the car. You're right there, it's totally worth it.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:15 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
Hey Nick.
...IMO i would stay away from arrow rods for a big power 996 or 997 .Have heard of a couple rod failures with them that i have not seen with Carillos.No bearing failure no detonation it just snapped!!Cost the owner some big money.
Joe,
whats up brotha?thanks for the info, happy new year .

Old 01-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
These two in particular were done because they failed and starting spewing coolant everywhere.

Normally, though, we try to do them as a preventative measure any time we've got an engine out of the car. You're right there, it's totally worth it.
We pulled the engine last night so definitely will consider.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Why not just use the Sharkwerks trick?

It looks like a good solution. I believe that a certain amount of "care" needs to be taken in order to get the metal shavings out and not into circulation. An inexperienced shop might screw that up, I'm not sure what the consequences would be?

Old 01-06-2012, 03:52 PM
P2P
P2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Turbo Kyle

That's what a solution looks like. Excellent work!

Absolutely amazing but i prefer the sharkwerks solution if it really work ! its simple.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck with the build! +1 on the coolant hose upgrade too.

Btw, drove to Pasadena last weekend for the Rose Bowl and only saw 1 Porsche in 2000 miles. I guess everyone must be getting their motor upgraded this time of year........

Old 01-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Good luck with the build! +1 on the coolant hose upgrade too.

Btw, drove to Pasadena last weekend for the Rose Bowl and only saw 1 Porsche in 2000 miles. I guess everyone must be getting their motor upgraded this time of year........
Thanks Steam. I spent the night on Colorado Blvd--paid the price tho, getting a bit too old for that. I didn't see any P-cars either but quite a few classic cars cruisn' the Blvd that night. The weather was spectacular. Hope you enjoyed your weekend..

Old 01-08-2012, 09:35 AM
RMS Seepage

Just a little cross residue it turns out from other parts. No seepage.

Last edited by TTdude; 03-02-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:17 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Looks like I have a little seepage with the RMS.

What causes the rear main seal to fail? Looks like you pulled it just in time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motor Upgrade Begins