997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Track event mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:34 AM
MKS
MKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of light
Track event mods

I would like to prep a 2007 997 turbo for the track so far I thought of

1- bilesten shocks ?
2- brembo gt brakes?
3- Toyo 888r tires?

And maybe a flash and exhaust? Any input would be appreciated it. Thanks guy

Old 01-02-2012, 05:35 AM
MKS
MKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of light
And it's a tiptronic with 55000 miles

Old 01-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
At the minimum I would go springs, sway bars with end links, and GT3 LCAs so you can dial in enough negative camber. The factory brakes are good but I would do pads (I went with the new Hawk DTC-60s) and high temp fluid (and stainless brakes lines if you want firmer pedal feel). For tires you can do Toyo R888s, MPSCs or Pirelli Trofeo for the factory 19s. I'm going Trofeos this time around.

Hit the track a few times to get a feel for the car before you add more power. You could do the Tip computer tune to speed the box up a bit for the road course. The car is plenty fast, just set to soft from the factory.

Enjoy.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:57 AM
MKS
Thanks it's a big race event and I want it to be track ready

Old 01-02-2012, 10:04 AM
besiktas is infamous around these partsbesiktas is infamous around these parts
brembo gt's are waste of money. stay away.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:45 PM
MKS
What can I do to the brakes? And suspension?

Old 01-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Feel free to email me directly we have a proper set up for this car with our GMG World Challenge track package.

fabryce@gmgracing.com

Old 01-02-2012, 03:01 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
I have been very happy with my TPC Stage 3+ suspension and recommended alignment...great for track use but still have PASM for street use. I'm sure there are other "pure race" suspension options to consider if that is the direction you are going? As for brakes, I would not spend money to upgrade the whole set up. I would invest in high performance fluid ( Motol 600/650 ) and pads ( I like Padgid RS29's ). If/when your rotors wear out I have been very happy with GioroDisc slotted. You might also consider GT2 rear brake ducts to improve longevity ( there are some threads on this ). On tires, it depends on your level of experience. If you are an experienced driver, no question but to go with Hoosier R6's. They don't last very long ( 10-14 heat cycles ) but they are super sticky and you will run measurably faster lap times. As for more power, again depends on your experience and budget. But, I would ABSOLUTELY encourage you to do a suspension upgrade BEFORE tune...it will amaze you how much better your car is and will be the best money you spend! Finally, don't please consider safety upgrades...Brakes, fluid, tires are basics but you can certainly consider seat/harness hans type device etc. Good luck and have fun!

Old 01-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
I did some trackdays with my car and felt huge improvements with springs and sways. But the most important is to get used to the tiptronic. You need to know pretty well the downshift point of the tiptronic to be able to make late and hard brake for turns.

My best advice for you is to go to the first event with just the suspension tuned with expert advice and track pads. Don't need coilover and if your car has PASM it will work amazing well with lowering and stiffer springs.

For future events you may think in better tires (MPSC, RE11 or R888), or idealy, 18" track wheels with michelin full slick porsche cup tires.

Our cars has plenty power for track but heat is our main enemy and can hurt seriously the performance of our cars. Stay away from ecu tune because more boost means higher engine temp at track. So i would be more focused to garantee a reliable power with faster turbo spool: free flow exhaust (reduce EGT's and provide faster spool), BMC air filter for stock airbox (help faster spool), 997.2 IC's (better design and provide lower water temp) and silicone ic's pipes (faster turbo spool). This mods is good to unleash at least 30 real hp.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:52 PM
911X is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MKS
Thanks it's a big race event and I want it to be track ready
what kind of competition you are entering ? time attack ? or regular race ? what other cars will be competing with you ?

Old 01-02-2012, 05:41 PM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
that's will be great , toyo R888 in a need , i talked to toyo dealer manger in kuw , he told me that he can get me a set of R888s but it will take 3-4 weeks , also above what you said , its really usefull to get Coolant Pipe REPAIR kit w/ weldable fitting , or you just get them welded !!

good luck

Old 01-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
We have Toyos available shaved now.
And can ship to you direct.

We have several GMG equipped cars running in Kuwait.. Feel free to email me directly as we have just about everything you need in stock ready to ship.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:29 AM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Experience level, type of event, will the car remain a DD/street car, etc?

If this is your first event you shouldn't do anything to the car except put in high temp brake fluid and maybe pads.

You can see what I have done to my car in my sig (basic GMG setup). Got a little extra camber dialed in but not too much for the street. I got what I wanted without having to change my lower control arms.

While I went with a full aftermarket coilover setup on the M3, after all the research I did for the 997TT I decided I would just do springs and I'm very happy with the result.

Last edited by djben; 01-03-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 AM
MKS
Thanks alot guys I'll update you with what I do

Old 01-03-2012, 09:19 AM
SethW is infamous around these parts
There were earlier posts on brake fluid...this is a great idea. I might even suggest a tire guage (with bleeder valve) so you can change tire pressure during the event, and perhaps a portable air compressor as well as an alumninum portable jack...you can usually borrow all of this, but it makes you less reliant to have it.

given your space limitations, you wont be a be able to bring a chair and canopy...but if the S.O is coming, stick that in the other car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track event mods