997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Thinking about a 07-08 TT (6mt)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
Thinking about a 07-08 TT (6mt)

I know the 2010+ 997.2 is a better car...suspension and engine... but a used 997.1TT is substantially cheaper... I wanted a GT3, but think I may need the back seat and wondering :

1. Is the engine just as durable?
2. if modding suspension is the 997.1 just as good on track as .2 and can it be on par with a GT3?
3. non dry sump on track? road courses, not drag strip
4. can be as fun/fast as a gt3? I know the Gt3 will be more "fun" due to the lightness and high rpm's

Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ShahulX
I know the 2010+ 997.2 is a better car...suspension and engine... but a used 997.1TT is substantially cheaper... I wanted a GT3, but think I may need the back seat and wondering :

1. Is the engine just as durable?
2. if modding suspension is the 997.1 just as good on track as .2 and can it be on par with a GT3?
3. non dry sump on track? road courses, not drag strip
4. can be as fun/fast as a gt3? I know the Gt3 will be more "fun" due to the lightness and high rpm's
1. The M64 GT1 motor is far moe proven then the 9A1 of the .2 car so far.
2. As good as the .2 car. Can get close to a GT3 but it will still be heavier and AWD.
3. The .1 Turbos are all dry sump.
4. The 997.1 TT will walk the GT3 all over the place except on the race track . With the right suspension mods you can get it close.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2012, 01:07 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
The GT1 dry sump engine drives a lot of folks to limit their search for used TT's to 07/08/09. Whether or not 997.2 TT is better than 997.1 TT is always a discussion item.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:10 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
And of course, the next question is... If you have a 997.2 and you have an issue with the engine ( it can happen) ... Can you get it repaired or is it a "throw-away" deal AKA disposable engine like the 996 engine where there are very few parts and options for repair.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:17 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hroussard
And of course, the next question is... If you have a 997.2 and you have an issue with the engine ( it can happen) ... Can you get it repaired or is it a "throw-away" deal AKA disposable engine like the 996 engine where there are very few parts and options for repair.
The turbo engine in the 996 is also a GT1 engine so I'm not understanding your "disposable" comment.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:22 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The turbo engine in the 996 is also a GT1 engine so I'm not understanding your "disposable" comment.
I think he meant the 996 NA (non-turbo)

Old 01-11-2012, 01:22 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I wrote, " if you have a 997.2 ( the one with the NEW turbo engine)"" That one does not have the GT1 engine as far as I know. Correct?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by hroussard
I wrote, " if you have a 997.2 ( the one with the NEW turbo engine)"" That one does not have the GT1 engine as far as I know. Correct?
You asked if it was a "disposable" engine like the 996" - since this is the turbo forum I thought that's what you were questioning. Yes the 997.2 turbo is the new (non-GT1) engine.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:30 PM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
so the 997.1 turbo is the more proven engine (GT1) and has a better aftermarket?

I would do a 996/7 GT3 if it had back seats ( sometimes I get surprised and have to pick up my daughter and I may not have my S4 or highlander)...

the 997.1 turbo is a dry sump lub system but the .2 is not?

As far as suspension, how much would it take for a 997.1 to handle close to a .2 GT3? full coilovers and sways, lower control arms? JRZ/KW?

I think Id have to convert the steering wheel and shifter to alcantara (seen threads on this).. drove the GTS the other day and it feels better than Alcantara gloves on a leather wheel

My GTR was fun, but i like the manual, I work at a porsche dealer so serice would be easier too, PLUS I hear your club owers have more fun on track

Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by ShahulX
so the 997.1 turbo is the more proven engine (GT1) and has a better aftermarket?

I would do a 996/7 GT3 if it had back seats ( sometimes I get surprised and have to pick up my daughter and I may not have my S4 or highlander)...

the 997.1 turbo is a dry sump lub system but the .2 is not?

As far as suspension, how much would it take for a 997.1 to handle close to a .2 GT3? full coilovers and sways, lower control arms? JRZ/KW?

I think Id have to convert the steering wheel and shifter to alcantara (seen threads on this).. drove the GTS the other day and it feels better than Alcantara gloves on a leather wheel

My GTR was fun, but i like the manual, I work at a porsche dealer so serice would be easier too, PLUS I hear your club owers have more fun on track
Your question: the 997.1 turbo is the more proven engine (GT1) and has a better aftermarket? Yep, it sure is.
And I am thinking that perhaps the 997.2 engine is not going to be so popular with the tuners and after market folks because it can not be modded as easy as the Mezger engine. That means a lot of Porsche hot-rodders are not going to invest their time on that engine but possibly wait of the new 991 Turbo engine - WHEN and IF it will be available. But.. this is just MY take on the situation.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:12 PM
MTV
MTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really nice
Go for the 997.1 TT !!

The TT will walk a GT3, even on the track with the right mods. Of course it will never be as rigid as the GT but the power will outweigh this.

Sway bars, KW coils, control arms, wider tires will get you close in terms of handling.

Tune/exhaust and you'll be eating those GT3s for breakfast.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:16 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Hope "Porsche" supports this site with some $$$....

It says something when someone works at a dealer yet looks here for advice.

No offense to the OP but when you comb through the questions presented here from so many who visit dealers, let alone work at one, it's quite shocking.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by PSTT07
Hope "Porsche" supports this site with some $$$....

It says something when someone works at a dealer yet looks here for advice.

No offense to the OP but when you comb through the questions presented here from so many who visit dealers, let alone work at one, it's quite shocking.
I've only been at my dealer for 8 months and it's Audi/Porsche ...( 9 years between here, honda and mercedes..). I spend most of my time talking about audis in actuality. Difference between me and most sales people is that I track, autocross and rally cross... And I work on my own cars... I did have a boxster S but I've never owned a 911.... What I learn on the many boards and every magazine I get will get passed on to customers

Old 01-11-2012, 06:09 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
I think the forums are a great place to learn more about all things related to vehicles. I can't count anymore the tips, tricks, etc... I've taken away.

You're exactly the type I wish I ran into more often at the dealers. Someone who seems passionate about vehicles and has the experience/knowledge to cary a discussion about the product.

The 997.1 turbo is an amazing vehicle. Totally capable with no mods (IMO) but transformed to a higher level with. IMO when talking about tracking and capabilities around it... it's more important to first maximize one skills and then focus on the car. In addition, maximize one's skills with the "new to you" vehicle stock, then mod and review your delta.

While I've found Porsche sales staff to be inconsistent when it comes to knowledge on these questions I've been very happy speaking with the head technicians. I'd buy this person lunch and soak up all the info I could.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 PM
I am well aquainted with my service staff.. I was spending alot if time over the summer and fall getting alignments and using their tools and lift to get my Mitsubishi evo ready for some scca time trials and some local hpde's at summit point wva and VIR

I think the 997 turbo it is.. As much as I like the gt3.. Is it less durable than the gt3 on track? I know the gt3 can take a beating and produce less heat and issues than a fi engine.. Track guys using additional or larger coolers on the turbo?

I've been researching the Boxster spyder and cayman r and gt3 but I think I may need the backseat.. I really like the high Rpm revving of the gt3 though..

Those that track.. Ceramics work well? I know they last longer, are lighter and dissipate heat better , obviously the cost is more.. Better just to find other rotors, maybe jhooks vs cross drilled? My cross drilled rotors in the past have cracked...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 07-08 TT (6mt)