997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

From 4.6L M3 to 997.2 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:01 AM
DriftingTree is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mikegr
So did you say 4.6L M3? Did you swap the engine or modified it?

Modified with RD Sport.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:00 PM
justjones is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by thackl
I'll disagree on looks a feel. The m3 in any shade of white or blue is gorgeous. The steering feel and engine note is amazing. As for performance, no contest. My good friend has an 09 and was absolutely devastated after we raced a few times. My stock 997.1 walked it bad from dig, roll, cornering, etc. Per factory specs there is only 65hp diff, but seemed like hundreds in side by side comparison
There may be only a 65hp difference but there is something like a 170 ft-lb difference in torque. Which what makes all the difference in accelerating thus explaining why his m3 looked like it was standing still

Old 01-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by justjones
There may be only a 65hp difference but there is something like a 170 ft-lb difference in torque. Which what makes all the difference in accelerating thus explaining why his m3 looked like it was standing still
If you throw a G-Power or ESS S/C into a 4.6L engine it is good for 720hp. The 997TT will always be a faster car with the same money spent on mods, but will never match the M3 in fun factor. It is same kind of love that makes people trade the Turbo with the GT3. Nothing can match a well balance rwd car.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Several years ago, i had a friend who called me to check out his 6GT3 that he had recently bought.

I took the car out for a drive and did go thru the gears to the red line but couldn't figure out what the hype was and still is about the NA engines. To me, handling didn't feel any different either

Since i am a street driving kinda a guy so i didn't take it to the track where of-course it could make a difference but for street driving, i will take the turbo torque, all day/ any time of the day

Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 AM
usmankhan has a spectacular aura aboutusmankhan has a spectacular aura about
E92 M3 is my daily car- and I LOVE IT!!

Use the TT for weekends and occasions, but the M3 feels much more 'light' on everyday use, and the sound from the engine bay everytime I put my foot down....oh my!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:23 PM
justjones is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tiago
If you throw a G-Power or ESS S/C into a 4.6L engine it is good for 720hp. The 997TT will always be a faster car with the same money spent on mods, but will never match the M3 in fun factor. It is same kind of love that makes people trade the Turbo with the GT3. Nothing can match a well balance rwd car.
By supercharging you will more than likely over come the torque deficit to make them much more equal...when you start talking about mods and cars performance any body can make their car go faster than the next guy with the resources and motivation...nobody is saying the m3 cant be made stupidly fast just that it isn't in the guise in which BMW chooses to sell it in As for the "fun" factor I'm assuming you are talking about drifting? which is super fun But Id rather whip a renault megane trophy fwd (ring lap time like 8:07 versus the 1M of 8:15) than a nicely balanced rwd 328i.lol just my 0.2

Old 01-17-2012, 09:11 PM
euro_king is infamous around these parts
congrats on the car Drew

Old 01-18-2012, 05:23 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by justjones
As for the "fun" factor I'm assuming you are talking about drifting? which is super fun But Id rather whip a renault megane trophy fwd (ring lap time like 8:07 versus the 1M of 8:15) than a nicely balanced rwd 328i.lol just my 0.2
Even a 20 year civic can be stupid fast easily with just a few bucks. For the same value, i rather have one 1M than two Meganes RS Trophy.

Fun factor is not just drifting. Is to be able to take off from a stoplight with rear tires burning till 3rd gear, to make small slides at every turns or roundabouts at low speed and relative safe. IMHO, it is a more challenging to drive.

My Turbo sits in the garage next to a M3 with 580hp. Every time i want to have some fun pick the M3 key. But when i need the fastest car, the Turbo key is the first to pick up.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:40 AM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
I think the TT wins for every day driving.

Mash the gas in any gear, off you go. The torque just ROCKS.

M3, mash the gas in the wrong gear and well, nothing happens

Old 02-03-2012, 08:42 AM
MMbtu is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DriftingTree
Modified with RD Sport.
Where is your 4.6 now? Is it for sale?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Ah.. the M3 is NOT more nimble. I have owned EVERY 3 series M car, at least when they still offered feeling, yup even the Mroadster which it would make you feel REALLY nimble. Nor is it more fun to drive. I have owned the SMG and Manual. Yeah its easier to get tail happy with it and it can be fun there. Make a point with a nice slide, i have been in a full slide ( very stupid) around a corner with incoming traffic in my Mroadster. Its the most fun I thought you could have. I have skyed it too. Wife just looked at me when we sailed the hump and the revs banged the limiter. Same car hit the inside Wall at NHIS. With the BMW you either stand on the ***** or you look stupid, and go round n round.

Does that make the car more nimble or fun? Nope. Slop doesnt mean its precise. The Porsche does what the M does faster and better without much fanfare.

As an ex aerobatic, mil pilot and aviator, the most fun flying can be in the ones that you would never want to go to war with, but just the slop is fun. The Super 8 is so much fun in a high speed stall heading to the ground, its so forgiving you can think about what you need to do to save your ***.
In a pitts or or mil jets you can't sit there and think, oh i need to release backpressure then slowly add it. Or if it gets bad start spinning the trim wheel. You have zero time to think. You act or hit the silk.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:17 AM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
i 'only' have an e92 m3, but have always wanted a tt porsche...i thought about the porsche this time around, but i still needed the extra space--my minimum requirements are 3 people plus 2 sets of golf clubs without major hassles..so for every day convenience chose the m3. i while i have a roof rack, i can also put the rear seats down and squeeze my mtn bike into the car in a pinch...i think it's a great compromise car, and the best of the current bmw lineup, but it is a compromise, not a pure sports car. hopefully someday i'll get my tt porsche!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Get the TT. you have plenty of golf carts. What I want for that sort of thing is an Audi RS2

Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I'm still yet to test drive a TT, but I'm thinking about one. Definitely miss the torque of the 997S compared to the M3. But the M3 is very balanced, quiet, yet with a great motor. Step on the pedal in 6th though and indeed, nothing happens. After reading some of these posts, I'm thinking why bother with the TT. Ideally, may wait a few years until the 2010 TT is affordable on the used market. 0-60 in 3 seconds is just a milestone that will stand the test of time.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:18 PM
You do realize that 1 sec off a 0-60 time is a huge amount? What does the e92 actually beat from a roll or start? I know you have to depend on the driver next to you to suck in most cases.
I just sold my M3 and couldnt be happier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: From 4.6L M3 to 997.2 Turbo