997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Washed my car today and...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:30 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
maybe this is why the 991 engine is tucked away hidden from our eyes
No joke, I think that's why it is too. I bet you Porsche knows they effed up on the design of the decklid and rather than do a costly and embarrasing recall, they left it alone...or really, these engines are designed to get wet...

Old 01-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Weird - I wash mine quite often and living in the North West, it's in the rain every third day - LOL, and not a light drizzle either. Additionally I have taken it though numerous car washes... All I have ever experienced is a slight sequel from the belts for about 20-30 secs and then all is good. I've never had any squels when driving or in traffic under rain... never.

Are you guys shooting the water down the vents intentionally?
Can't imagine how that can happen... hmmm
Hmmmm. Seemed like a lot of water to me too. Whenever I wash my car, I get very little water in the engine compartment. It's only when I open the deck to dry the edges that I get some water drops in there.

I've also never heard a difference in engine sounds when it's raining or after a wash. I recall someone asking on the forums whether it's OK to drive Porsche's in the rain. My favorite response was "don't you think it rains in Germany?"

Old 01-15-2012, 10:39 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Aerodude

I've also never heard a difference in engine sounds when it's raining or after a wash. I recall someone asking on the forums whether it's OK to drive Porsche's in the rain. My favorite response was "don't you think it rains in Germany?"
Belts squealing, power steering failing...obviously not!!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Hmmmm. Seemed like a lot of water to me too. Whenever I wash my car, I get very little water in the engine compartment. It's only when I open the deck to dry the edges that I get some water drops in there.

Do you have a 996 or 997?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MK23
Do you have a 996 or 997?
996. Did they change the deck lid significantly between the 996 and 997?

Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by w00zy
It turn out great... well no that great but next week it's going to be detailed

Anyway... I remembered reading somewhere in a thread about water getting into the engine compartment so i check to see how bad it was.

OMG, i almost had a heart attack
Next time i'm going to cover the engine with plastic... but... what about rain?
Sometimes, when it rains, it pours.

I think i will never drive this car in traffic when it's raining hard.
Hi there. I never realized that the engine bay could get so much water after a car wash, and i always wash my car with a jetwash machine and spread the soap by hand. I guess that has something to do with how you throw water to the car. If you jetwash on the truck lid from front to rear, is highly probably that the water will get in. Same happens in the edge of the doors windows, where the water will go to the interior side of the glass if you point the water jet to the rubbers, and this never happens at road conditions, even under heavy rain .

I realized that you are from PT. Where are you located? Maybe we can share some thoughts about it.

Last edited by Tiago; 01-16-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:13 AM
w00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tiago
Hi there. I never realized that the engine bay could get so much water after a car wash, and i always wash my car with a jetwash machine and spread the soap by hand. I guess that has something to do with how you throw water to the car. If you jetwash on the truck lid from front to rear, is highly probably that the water will get in. Same happens in the edge of the doors windows, where the water will go to the interior side of the glass if you point the water jet to the rubbers, and this never happens at road conditions, even under heavy rain .
i usually wash my car with jet wash on a flat surface but this time i washed on a ramp with the back facing downhill and with a hose. I will never do that again.

I realized that you are from PT. Where are you located? Maybe we can share some thoughts about it.

I've wonder if you were from Portugal too. I'm from Gaia
I would love to see your car and i would appreciate some help in tuning mine. It's hard to find a decent shop that will install all i want.
I'm sure we will meet someday in a AIA trackday

Cheers

Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
I'm sure we will meet someday in a AIA trackday
Cheers
I went to AIA trackdays 3x with PorscheFansPortugal. After that, i spent almost €5k at the dealer without tires, just brakes replacement (rotors and pads) and B maintainance. The dealer (Entreposto Lisboa) said that it is rare to see rotors with such a bad wear.

The last time i went, i made a video with some laps chasing a crazy driver with a E60 M5. His brakes was failing quite alot and almost hit me at 7:30min. I learned my lesson to never do that again. On the heat, we can hurt the wallet badly due to a silly play.

If you ever come by to Lisbon, send me a PM. I will help you with all you needs. I did all my mods in PT, even the ECU tuning was made by a PT guy (a special friend) for half the price of the cheapest ECU tuning out there...

Old 01-16-2012, 07:53 AM
w00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to behold
The guy in the M5 is crazy. I'm afraid of driving the car near other drivers.
I only did 1 trackday but i plan to do at least 3 trackdays this year.
I allready have Girodisc with Pagid RS-29, hope they will last because it was expensive. i don't brake late and to hard.
I'm still learning how to drive.

I will hit you up next time i have time and am in Lisbon, actually i'm dropping the car tomorrow in Lisbon at Sport E Prestige because they messed up my rear bumper painting but i have allot of stuff to do and no time. Maybe when the car is ready... i really need to tune the ECU

Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MK23
Hey pureporsche...NO WAY!! I have never shot water down the vents. I rinse the car from the roof down. It's not really the water from the vents that gets the car wet, it's water that flows into the engine over the edges of where the decklid meet the rear window. Trust me. Just for giggles, put a towel over your engine next time you wash your car. Wash it as you normaly would do, then open the decklid and behold the soaking towel that awaits you! Then report back
Still seems odd... but then again, I hardly ever pop the engine lid after a wash so I can't form a firm stance on my point. What I do know is it's never bothered me. A quick chirp and it's gone. And never when I'm out driving - never.

That said - I'll take on the challenge and take a pic next time I wash her - she's due for one soon

Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 AM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
I drive a C4S but I've noticed a squealing sound after I wash the car as well. Can anyone clarify if this is a problem?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
With factory air boxes in place, at least the filters are positioned vertically vs the other open design filters where the water falls directly on them

Can you guess which one i am sticking with

Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 AM
I only did 1 trackday but i plan to do at least 3 trackdays this year.
I allready have Girodisc with Pagid RS-29, hope they will last because it was expensive. i don't brake late and to hard.
I'm still learning how to drive.
At that time the car had stock ECU and was able to hit 250km/h mark in the track. If you are really focused in track performance then my advice is to don't touch the ECU (more boost = higher engine temp) and look for 997.2 IC's (more consistent track temps), suspension (lowering and stiffer springs + stronger sways and adjustable links) and GT2/3 rear brake ducts. This formula is enough to follow a 997 GT3 well driven.

I will be waiting your contact.

PS: I found that is less stressing for compounds to make hard and late brakes than soft and long brakes.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by quick
With factory air boxes in place, at least the filters are positioned vertically vs the other open design filters where the water falls directly on them

Can you guess which one i am sticking with

I was going to post the pics on that thread and talk about the design of the filter but i decided to make a new topic.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 AM
At that time the car had stock ECU and was able to hit 250km/h mark in the track. If you are really focused in track performance then my advice is to don't touch the ECU (more boost = higher engine temp) and look for 997.2 IC's (more consistent track temps), suspension (lowering and stiffer springs + stronger sways and adjustable links) and GT2/3 rear brake ducts. This formula is enough to follow a 997 GT3 well driven.

I will be waiting your contact.

PS: I found that is less stressing for compounds to make hard and late brakes than soft and long brakes.
I could only hit 245km/h but most of the time i only reached 240km/h or less.
I want to upgrade the suspension but up north the entry to the houses are very high. I can only enter sideways and the lip always hits the ground.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Washed my car today and...