997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Washed my car today and...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Timmynopi is infamous around these parts
nice

Old 01-17-2012, 09:29 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Good set of photos showing water-on-engine issue. I lost a mass air sensor and fan belt with massive water coming in repeatedly in Florida downpours. Used to get belt squeaks that took days to go away. I use a rubber door mat over the engine vents when washing the 997.1, but still get water in the engine compartment, just not like without the mat. Some sneaks in from areas aside from the fan vents. In work, if a downpour is expected, mat is placed on engine fins before going in. Often a real pain. I know a lot of water can come up from pavement splash on the highway, but no issue when engine is running. I guess some could be coming in from botton run-off part of back-glass, but that is tough to accept. I quess with the newer models, some of this water in-engine issue has been corrected. These turbos are designed for the track, so water pouring on engine apparently according to Porsche is no issue with engine running constantly.

Last edited by johnww; 01-17-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:45 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by MK23
Hey pureporsche...NO WAY!! I have never shot water down the vents. I rinse the car from the roof down. It's not really the water from the vents that gets the car wet, it's water that flows into the engine over the edges of where the decklid meet the rear window. Trust me. Just for giggles, put a towel over your engine next time you wash your car. Wash it as you normaly would do, then open the decklid and behold the soaking towel that awaits you! Then report back
I cover the seam where the decklid meets the rear window as well as vents with a rubber mat and still get some water on engine when washing the car. Do you mean the drain area for the rear glass??