997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Other drivers ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I'm also in the Seattle area. My rule of thumb (particularly in the last 5 years or so) is that if someone wants to go faster than me, I smile and let them by. I like to travel about 5-8 mph above the speed limit and do favor the left lane on the freeways due to its condition, but if someone faster comes from behind I will happily get out of their way. This applies to driving all my vehicles too, not just my Porsche. I do know what you mean about folks wanting to 'race' or drive competitively for space on the open road, but I kind of like that!

Old 01-22-2012, 01:48 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
I have had my fair share of guys wanting to race when I know there is no shot I dont even bother. Really pisses them off, not sure why.

Worse yet are the people who try to get too close at hight speeds to check out the car. That usually gets me to burry the hammer and put some space between us-usually kids.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:40 PM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cm09578
I had a civic si try to race me yesterday. I just acted like I didn't see him.
I think this is how you should deal with this issue. You don't need to prove anything. They are losers! Now if an Audi R8 or another Turbo shows up and tries to race you then it's another story.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:18 PM
MJA
MJA is just really niceMJA is just really niceMJA is just really niceMJA is just really niceMJA is just really nice
I agree and mostly just let them pass me by, no need to waste my time. My point is when I am in my other cars this usally does not happen.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
For me in Orange County, it's always the d-bag in the G35, M3 or WRX their daddy or mommy bought them. Their is one incredibly annoying supped up Z06 with the loudest exhaust I've ever heard that I see occaisionaly and he's always trying to race. But why do it? As one member said, you risk a ticket or far worse. At the end of the day, even if they are faster, who cares?? If those same guys had a choice between their corvette/wrx or 911 turbo, which one would they chose? 'Nuff said

Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 AM
LFC911Kop2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GAM3OVR
Easy math for me:

1. Engage with the lesser opponent and risk a ticket (hundreds of dollars), a wreck (thousands), or worse.

2. Let them keep rolling by as I smile and wave. It's free entertainment and they get to keep wondering exactly how it would feel to have their a** spanked by a beautiful Porsche 911

You have worded this perfectly. It's just not worth it to me. I get all sorts of stuff wanting to race me when I'm in my turbo or GT3RS. It's unbelievable here in Southern California. We know what our Porsches are capable of. We have the finest cars in the world. But I know sometimes it can be hard to resist some nut who thinks he may have a faster car. However, I don't want a ticket or worse. Anything can happen in an uncontrolled environment. That's why I love the track... A controlled environment where everyone sees how incredible Porsche is.
Additionally, on the track I get to hear the wonderful symphony of the 911 engine for more than just a quick sprint. And what a symphony!!!

Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 AM
thuggy has a spectacular aura aboutthuggy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GAM3OVR
Easy math for me:

1. Engage with the lesser opponent and risk a ticket (hundreds of dollars), a wreck (thousands), or worse.

2. Let them keep rolling by as I smile and wave. It's free entertainment and they get to keep wondering exactly how it would feel to have their a** spanked by a beautiful Porsche 911

Hilarious!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
One night a couple years ago I was driving home on Vista del Mar, not in my Porsche but the M3 I had at the time, and a hopped up GTI pulled alongside and kept trying to bait me (revving, repeatedly accelerating and falling back etc). I refused to engage and just smiled and waved. The driver eventually got frustrated and then decided to show me what he had and launched taking off.<o></o>
<o> </o>
Immediately after he did, cherries lit up directly behind as a police officer who also had pulled up behind me, and apparently watched the whole thing took off to pull the VW over. To this day I believe that he would have pulled me over and not the GTI if I had decided to have a go given that I was in the “nicer car”. I have no doubt that my Turbo would be an even bigger target.<o></o>

Old 01-24-2012, 02:08 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Well for some guys, beating something they can never owns seems to be the moment of their life, like these here

Old 01-24-2012, 02:53 AM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
Just to add a counterpoint to all the negative experiences...

I was driving down a residential street today and a pickup truck with a boy in the passenger seat (maybe 9 to 11 years old) passed along my left. The boy spotted my car, dropped his jaw, locked his gaze, and pressed his face onto the glass so hard that his hands, nose, and forehead were turning white!

It was one of those "I totally know what you're going through, kid!" moments.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:05 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by thackl
I did have a CTS-V give me a surprise the other night. Wasn't expecting a race... he floored it about 15ft out of the stop light and wasn't able to catch and pass until 4th gear (think he had some bolt-ons). Very impressed by the caddy... wish they weren't so fuggly
I don't how modded is your car, but if it was a newer CTS-V it didn't have to be modded. My friend's V went low 11s and trapped 118 when stock, with less than $5k in bolt-on mods runs high 10s and traps high 120s.

My experience with cars that don't stand a chance trying to race me is that most of time they just want to see how fast a Porsche Turbo is, and most of the time I'll show them.

Last edited by nevert00fast; 01-24-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 AM
AgentSteel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by arash
Just to add a counterpoint to all the negative experiences...

I was driving down a residential street today and a pickup truck with a boy in the passenger seat (maybe 9 to 11 years old) passed along my left. The boy spotted my car, dropped his jaw, locked his gaze, and pressed his face onto the glass so hard that his hands, nose, and forehead were turning white!

It was one of those "I totally know what you're going through, kid!" moments.
Maybe its a NorCal thing, but most experiences with other drivers have been positive, thumbs up, smile, or a nod.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Schnell TT is a jewel in the roughSchnell TT is a jewel in the roughSchnell TT is a jewel in the roughSchnell TT is a jewel in the rough
When I had my red S2000 I got jerks all the time wanting to race. Swerving across lanes dangerously to get next to me. It was scary what they did. Funny though with the black TT I don't get as much, and I don't miss it. I get enough conversations in the parking lot about my dream car...

But what I really miss are the other S2000 drivers's who almost always nodded or waved or smiled back when we passed each other. Now, in 6 months of owning my TT, I have been next to 997tt.1's 3 times (one cab just like mine at 5mph in rush hour), and each time they didn't even look over. Where is the old motoring spirit.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 AM
well you have not entered the Porsche spirit yet...Why a Porsche owner look at you?He knows what hes driving, no need to verify its capabilities.
Personally im always every time i pass an WRX, or a Evo or similar i know that will try to keep up with me. It happened again today. If such a car would pass over me, i wouldn't bother

Old 01-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Redmist is infamous around these partsRedmist is infamous around these parts
I let 'em go by as I think to myself "they passed me but they're still driving a piece of shik".

Old 01-29-2012, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by Schnell TT
When I had my red S2000 I got jerks all the time wanting to race. Swerving across lanes dangerously to get next to me. It was scary what they did. Funny though with the black TT I don't get as much, and I don't miss it. I get enough conversations in the parking lot about my dream car...

But what I really miss are the other S2000 drivers's who almost always nodded or waved or smiled back when we passed each other. Now, in 6 months of owning my TT, I have been next to 997tt.1's 3 times (one cab just like mine at 5mph in rush hour), and each time they didn't even look over. Where is the old motoring spirit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Other drivers ??