997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

How to activiate siri just by dialing a number (via bluetooth)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 AM
LaDzi is infamous around these parts
thank you very much

Old 09-24-2014, 07:49 PM
slee1812 is infamous around these parts
Problem Setting Up

I have an iphone 5s on IOS7.0 and am having a problem setting this up:

1. In the instructions, what does it mean to set the permission to 755 for the following files

/usr/bin/idlewhile/VoiceCheckScript.sh

2. I installed Terminal Activator for IOS7 but do I need to make any changes to the script.

3. I ran putty but what do the instructions mean by "now if you dial the number *#86423#* (*#voice#*) it will within 6 seconds start SIRI". Do I enter *#86423#* in putty?

Old 09-24-2014, 08:02 PM
IvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to behold
1 - setting the permissions on the file can be done using chmod but you might want to use a file explorer (if Windows) like WinSCP, since it will make that operation much easier. Right click on file, goto properties and change the octal to 0755

2 - you actually no longer need terminal activator since activator supports bash commands directly, but if you are not that familiar with the shell you might want to stick with Terminal Activator.
(example : activator send switch-off.com.a3tweaks.switch.bluetooth turns bluetooth off)

3 - no, you dial this on the car/phone LITERALLY - *,#,8,6,4,2,3,#,* (and hit dial) ....
on the Dension this was a default, but you can change the script commands to do anything you want, (including changing the number). I made several commands *#411#* (play last notification) *#611#* reboot bluetooth *#666#* reboot phone , etc -- you can technically do anything activator/bash can do by using different numbers.

Currently I'm on iPhone6 so waiting for a jailbreak, but can help with anything specific (from memory), just "test" cause my memory aint so good anymore

Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Thanks. I was able to set the permissions to 0755. I didn't follow what you were saying in item 2 so I left terminal activator installed.

However, when I went in the car and typed *#86423#* and then hit dial, the phone rang and I received an error that the call could not be completed as dialed.

Any ideas?

Old 09-24-2014, 08:29 PM
IvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to behold
Dialing and having it fail is normal, but if siri did not start then there is a problem. Look back in these posts for some troubleshooting steps (you want to find what didn't work specifically). (ie, post #3,#8,#12, and #13 which talks about need to move the notify_post file if using terminal activator (probably read them all)

... this isn't the simplest thing to setup, but if you do all the check steps and things are working, you probably are very close and just missing something minor.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:47 PM
1. I copied the notifier_post file in /usr/bin to /bin. Should I delete this file from the usr/bin directory. Went back into the car and still no luck.

2. When I typed /bin/notify_post siri in putty, this did trigger siri.

3. When I try to run the Launchctl command from Putty, it says already loaded.

4. When I went into SSH and into the directory (cd /usr/bin/idlewhile) and try to run the script manually, I get an error - bad interpreter: No such file or directory. See below:

sams-iPhone:/usr/bin/idlewhile root# ./VoiceCheckScript.sh
-sh: ./VoiceCheckScript.sh: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Did I enter the command to manually run the script correctly?

Last edited by slee1812; 09-24-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-25-2014, 06:58 AM
1 - I would rename or delete the other one, not sure what it is for? Also make sure the references to notify_post in the scripts are to /bin now.

2 - that is good, although from #3 I suspect it isn't actually running, do the grep command to see if its actually running.

3 - this is odd. Did you use a windows editor to change the .sh file? If yes, you need to make sure to use an editor that does not convert it to a DOS file format, (with carriage return / line feeds)? If the files are messed re-grab them, and edit them using WinSCP editor (for example).

Ultimately, I would not run the daemon until you have it working with ./VoiceCheckScript.sh turn off the daemon with a similar command but launchctl unload ..... until you have the script working.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:52 AM
I turned off the daemon with launchctl unload command

I hadn't edited any of the files but just to be sure I overwrote the files and reset the properties on the sh file to 0755

If I use WINSCP to edit the file to try to remove carriage returns, then I don't get the error but it just hangs there and does not go back to the command prompt. Is this what is supposed to happen? Am I entering the command correctly?

Also, now when I run /bin/notify_post siri, I get an error that says permission denied.(EDIT: I changed the permissions and this now works again)

Last edited by slee1812; 09-25-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Can you confirm your first line says.. #!/bin/sh
Assuming it does ... do you have a sh in /bin ???
This line (the shebang) tells the interpreter which shell to use, but I dont know how you would not have /bin/sh ? Do you have /bin/bash? I have actually switched all my new scripts to bash but not sure if this one still would work, but I'm still confused how this would happen.

So, if you dont have a /bin/sh --> it makes sense, but is strange. Did you install the BigBoss recommended Repo thing? Anyways, if no sh, but yes to bash, change the first line to #!/bin/bash and run the command as the ./VoiceCheckScript.sh and see if that works.

Last edited by IvanRaide; 09-25-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 PM
The first line of the line of the VoiceCheckScript.sh file does say.. #!/bin/sh
I do have a file named sh in the /bin directory
I do have a file named bash in the /bin directory

I do not know what you mean by the BigBoss recommended Repo thing. The only program I installed was Terminal Activator.

What is supposed to happen when I run the command ./VoiceCheckScript.sh?

Old 09-25-2014, 09:11 PM
The script would run, you wont really see anything, just the cursor, but you are getting an error so something is wrong. In the "HOW TO" notes I talk about needing sqlite3 and getting it. If you search in Cydia for "BigBoss Recommended" this is a package with a bunch of apps/tools/etc. I suspect you might be failing on a missing tool. The first really line in the script is ...

sqlite3 /var/wireless/Library/CallHistory/call_history.db '.read /usr/bin/idlewhile/VoiceCmdQuery'

Assuming you havent changed any paths, that command should run, if it fails you are probably missing sqlite3, but maybe the paths aren't right?.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:40 PM
I haven't changed any paths.

Cydia reports that SQLite 3.x and SQLite 3.x library are both installed.

1. When I run the ./VoiceCheckScript.sh command, the cursor just hangs there

2. When I run the sqlite3 command, I get the following (it just runs and gives me a cursor):

Sams-iPhone:/usr/bin/idlewhile root# sqlite3 /var/wireless/Library/CallHistory/call_history.db '.read /usr/bin/idlewhile/VoiceCmdQuery'

Sams-iPhone:/usr/bin/idlewhile root#

3. I downloaded adv-cmds so I now have the ps command. When I run it I get the following:

Sams-iPhone:~ root# ps -alx | grep VoiceCheckScript | grep -v grep
0 46971 1 4000 0 4 0 340220 676 - Ss 0 ?? 0:27.55 /bin/sh /usr/bin/idlewhile/VoiceCheckScript.sh
Sams-iPhone:~ root#

Last edited by slee1812; 09-26-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:55 PM
In your {1} you say it just hangs there, that's actually what it should do? Before you were mentioning that you were getting ...

-sh: ./VoiceCheckScript.sh: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Is that no longer the case?

2 - that is good, you should see nothing. If you dial that number and hang up and then immediately run that command you should see a 1 return.

3 - when you run ps and you see the task, which task is it. Earlier you had said that you stopped the daemon so in theory you should not be seeing it running?

googling your error it really seems like you've saved it with DOS endings...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...ad-interpreter

I would do some of these steps to see if you can get it bad to unix format.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:07 PM
I did not want to edit the file. However, editing the sh file in WinSCP eliminated the bad interpreter error when running ./VoiceCheckScript.sh

I used the launchctl load command before running the ps command.

I downloaded the file dos2unix and converted all of the files. When I run the ps command I get the following:

Sams-iPhone:/System/Library/LaunchDaemons root# ps -alx | grep VoiceCheckScript | grep -v grep
0 27531 1 4000 0 4 0 340224 888 - Ss 0 ?? 0:00.01 /bin/sh /usr/bin/idlewhile/VoiceCheckScript.sh
Sams-iPhone:/System/Library/LaunchDaemons root#

Last edited by slee1812; 09-27-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:42 PM
The link above has a couple of ways to do it, but you said when you edited the file in winscp it got ride of the bad interpreter errors, so you are probably ok right now? Right? Have the daemon running and dial the number (and then hang up) and see if siri starts, if it does, everything is working

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to activiate siri just by dialing a number (via bluetooth)