997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Clutch Slipping or ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:08 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 512bb
Try it with the PSM off, but I am willing to bet that the bogging that you felt is because the engine did truly bog down. It's a typical result of all-wheel drive cars. They launch quick, bog down a little and then shoot off again.
512bb - thanks for the reply. Is there any way you can avoid this "bog"? Should I try launching at higher RPM? I try to slightly slip the clutch as opposed to dropping it and I always get this slight bog.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
You can definitely slip the clutch a bit to reduce/eliminate the bogging, but beware that you are accelerating a lot of mass in a car that has a lot of traction. Fast acceleration from a standstill requires a balance of slip and traction. If the tires do not slip then the clutch should slip.

As an example if you look at top fuel cars (where the clutch is ON or OFF) the slip is taken by the tires and they deform at take off, like ringing a towel.

Again on the Turbo, given the level of traction the engine/flywheel momentum "jolts" the car to get off the line, but then there is a momentum loss which bogs the car. This is the time to slip the clutch a bit or take off at a higher RPM (higher RPMs though puts a lot of stress through the whole drive train).

On the all wheel drive PDK equipped cars I am willing to bet that launch control routes a bit more power through the front wheels during the first part of the take off. That is one of the only realistic ways I can come up with given the brutal off the line take off and lack of noticeable bogging from those cars.

Hope this helps. I am in Northern Jersey myself and it looks like there are a bunch of nice cars in the area. Let me know how it goes.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Doesn't sound like it was a clutch slip -- unless RPMs went up and the car didn't accelerate. Also, could the car have popped out of 2nd gear into neutral on you? If it is the clutch, I don't believe CPO would cover (even if you just bought the car). It looks like there's a pretty strict list on what CPO covers and doesn't cover (and the clutch is certainly not on that list). On the other hand, if you just bought the car, the dealer and/or Porsche could agree to a "good will" repair if they so choose. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:16 PM
SethW is infamous around these parts
I really don't think its the clutch, based on the test today. You know, I'm just going to drive the darn thing, enjoy the hell out of it, learn to be a better driver, and really get my $ worth. The last person paid $40K to drive the car 10k miles...I'll be damned if I am going to pay $4 a mile....I intend to enjoy the depreciation of this car!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 AM
bhgt2 has a spectacular aura aboutbhgt2 has a spectacular aura about
Here is a video of my clutch slipping on the track, it might help.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/SkkRT-SRxE0

Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks again and that makes perfect sense. I think I just need to learn to drive this car coming from rwd vehicles. Sadly I just moved to Chicago from Ridgewood area in NJ. Loved to meet up some 997tt folks here but haven't seen too many here so for some reason.
Originally Posted by 512bb
You can definitely slip the clutch a bit to reduce/eliminate the bogging, but beware that you are accelerating a lot of mass in a car that has a lot of traction. Fast acceleration from a standstill requires a balance of slip and traction. If the tires do not slip then the clutch should slip.

As an example if you look at top fuel cars (where the clutch is ON or OFF) the slip is taken by the tires and they deform at take off, like ringing a towel.

Again on the Turbo, given the level of traction the engine/flywheel momentum "jolts" the car to get off the line, but then there is a momentum loss which bogs the car. This is the time to slip the clutch a bit or take off at a higher RPM (higher RPMs though puts a lot of stress through the whole drive train).

On the all wheel drive PDK equipped cars I am willing to bet that launch control routes a bit more power through the front wheels during the first part of the take off. That is one of the only realistic ways I can come up with given the brutal off the line take off and lack of noticeable bogging from those cars.

Hope this helps. I am in Northern Jersey myself and it looks like there are a bunch of nice cars in the area. Let me know how it goes.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:24 PM
SethW is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bhgt2
Here is a video of my clutch slipping on the track, it might help.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/SkkRT-SRxE0

Hmmm...kind of sounded like that. We shall see...