997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Clutch Slipping or ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 06:02 PM
SethW is infamous around these parts
Clutch Slipping or ??

I was just driving the car in sport with a passenger and nailed it it 2nd after an upshift from 1st. It was a pretty clean shift, and I think what happened is that the revs did not climb and the car did not accelerate--which means a slipping clutch?? It was spirited driving. I could not have possibly broken 4 wheels loose (no chip etc) and the revs did not climb. The car only has 11K miles on it, but its whole life was stop and go traffic in LA (avg speed of the car was 16.8 mph for 550 hours of operating life). I have never had a clutch slip like that on me, kind of a new feeling.

Is there a "test" of how to measure the condition of the clutch? In the old days, I would just let the clutch out and see where it would grab and the higher it grabbed or the lower it engaged, the worse off you were. I literally only replaced a clutch once in the last 10 years, on my Audi A4 with 25lbs of boost.

Oh, car is CPO and purchased it a week ago--any chance that if its going quickly I might get it covered?

TIA.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:07 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SethW
I was just driving the car in sport with a passenger and nailed it it 2nd after an upshift from 1st. It was a pretty clean shift, and I think what happened is that the revs did not climb and the car did not accelerate--which means a slipping clutch?? It was spirited driving. I could not have possibly broken 4 wheels loose (no chip etc) and the revs did not climb. The car only has 11K miles on it, but its whole life was stop and go traffic in LA (avg speed of the car was 16.8 mph for 550 hours of operating life). I have never had a clutch slip like that on me, kind of a new feeling.

Is there a "test" of how to measure the condition of the clutch? In the old days, I would just let the clutch out and see where it would grab and the higher it grabbed or the lower it engaged, the worse off you were. I literally only replaced a clutch once in the last 10 years, on my Audi A4 with 25lbs of boost.

Oh, car is CPO and purchased it a week ago--any chance that if its going quickly I might get it covered?

TIA.
Put car in highest gear at a low speed. Say drive at 30 miles per hour in 6th gear. Floor the trottle. If the revs go up quickly (with assorted engine noise of course) but the car does not accelerate. Your clutch is slippin'.

Last edited by hroussard; 01-26-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:30 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
SethW - ".......I think what happened is that the revs did not climb and the car did not accelerate--which means a slipping clutch??........"

I think you mean that the revs climbed but the car did not accelerate? If that is the case, try what hroussard mentions and you will have an initial answer.

Let us know how it turns out. Cheers.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 PM
OK, will try to get to this tomorrow and report results. thanks.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:06 PM
zippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud of
I am pretty sure that CPO won't cover fair wear and tear. If you get your clutch replaced because of this on CPO then let me know. When I get back I am going to slay this beast since the CPO is getting ready to run out. I believe that clutch, pads, rotors, and tires are all OFF the table unless manufacturer defect of course. Good luck proving that one in event of catastrophic failure.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:44 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by zippsub9
I am pretty sure that CPO won't cover fair wear and tear.
Yeah but in his case, he just bought the car so CPO should cover it....

Old 01-27-2012, 04:37 PM
zippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud of
Quick, by that logic, I would assume that you are one bad *** lawyer or have not had much experience with dealerships honoring warranties j/k. However, a couple things are not the norm here. 1. It is a cpo which means the beef is with Porsche and not the dealership although it will reflect on the initial inspection credibility of the franchise if he just bought it and blew the clutch entirely in lieu of minor slippage. 2. As long as the inspection criteria parameters are met to qualify the vehicle as a "cpo" then all fair wear and tear items that are expendable are "as is" once that vehicle leaves the lot with the exception of a manufacturer defect. Finally, it is Porsche and not a domestic that caters to a unique demographic so hopefully everything I have said is BS and the dealership says no problem to replace. Best of luck

Old 01-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Ok, went up a slight incline, 35mph in 5th gear. No stuttering, nothing, just slow and steady acceleration.

was that slow enough? was that gear high enough? (sport was on).

Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 AM
That is plenty to bog down the engine and stress the clutch. One other piece that I would offer; you mentioned that there was no possible way to break all four tires loose, but you may have broken two. The power dispersion is not equal across the AWD and I believe is somewhere around 65 rear and 35 front. Bottom line: With Sport Mode on you decrease the sensitivity of the PSM function and are able to intermittently slide the rear typically associated with a turn although not required. This applies to a bone stock TT as well. It is quite possible that you broke the rear loose and did not notice the circled triangle temporarily light up while PSM engaged. This feels like power is killed across the car and disengages the gas pedal so the car can save itself from the driver. If you want to see what this feels like and see if perhaps you get a simlar feeling then accelerate along a highway through third or fourth gear and just let the RPMs go into the red with the pedal down. Sport mode on or off the engine will shut down into safe mode temporarily in order to bring down the RPMs and "right" the car if you were in a turn or what not. I have banged into the rev limiter before not thinking I was that close to shifting and it felt like a total loss of power/somewhat similar to a loss of clutch.

Just a thought...

Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Colt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really nice
My opinion- If the revs didnt climb while you were flooring it... then it wasnt the clutch. Its more probable that the traction control/PSM was interfering with the output to prevent you from spinning out/breaking the wheels loose.

Honestly, this doesnt sound like any component failure- just normal operation of the electronic nannies.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:52 AM
I think you guys are right. I will try disabling traction and nannies and learning the car's limits --in a safe place. It's time to get some education on really learning this car.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:38 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
I thought I had a clutch issue one night as well during a 3rd gear pull, turns out it was 31 deg outside and PSM disrupted power.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:10 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
This is interesting... I tried to do a sort of aggressive launch at 2-3 k RPM. The car starts out aggressive but then car feels like it's bogging before it regains RPM. Could this be PSM? I was too busy starring at the road so didn't see the light on dash

Old 01-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
if you loss traction the car will disrupt power to the wheels. Take it all off and it wont bog except into a tree if you arent careful

Old 01-31-2012, 04:35 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sbkim
This is interesting... I tried to do a sort of aggressive launch at 2-3 k RPM. The car starts out aggressive but then car feels like it's bogging before it regains RPM. Could this be PSM? I was too busy starring at the road so didn't see the light on dash
Try it with the PSM off, but I am willing to bet that the bogging that you felt is because the engine did truly bog down. It's a typical result of all-wheel drive cars. They launch quick, bog down a little and then shoot off again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch Slipping or ??