997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New GT2 Owner here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 AM
notso5 is infamous around these parts
New GT2 Owner here

Hello to GT2-istas
I took the plunge last month and traded my 08 Cayman S for an 08 GT2.
My initial impression was, ‘What the h3ll did I buy!’. I spent the last few weeks perusing the forums and I found my concerns are typical common…nuances…encountered by other Owners…
Ultra touch brakes
Impossible to heel and toe
A clutch that gives me butt cramps when driving in city traffic
A shifter that seemingly seems to know when I want to change gears and refuses to do so!
Front spoiler lip that scrapes (OK, the Cayman did that too…)
Sound system that won’t let you appreciate Rachmaninov
Recurring warning from the salesperson, sales manager, other P-car drivers and friends that have read review on the GT2…’you’re not going to drive it in the rain, are you?’. Warnings like this gets to the mate and the only acceptable answer to that is, ‘…no dear’

Well it’s three weeks later and I’ll fix complaints 1 and 2 with a Rennline pedal and extension. Heavy clutch? Don’t drive in traffic…weather hasn’t really cooperated in any case…kinda fixes complaint 6 too. Ordered an extra spoiler lip…consider them a consumable item. As for listening to Rach, I’ll leave it for the Jetta and keep Zeppelin 2 and 3 on permanent shuffle on the iPhone. The shifter, hmmmmm, it’s not a Jetta or a Honda tranny so it’s grab and jam not a three fingertip operation…it’s working so far.

And I know now what I bought, a racecar. This car is a brute…and I’m waiting for the first track day! Hello Portland and The Ridge.

Btw…I’ve named him Tyrone…Big, Badass and Basalt Metallic

Old 02-03-2012, 11:57 AM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
Congrats on the GT2 purchase! Absolutely a "racecar" and all the more enjoyable for it. Drive safe and enjoy in good health!

(btw, I specifically changed my clutch to feel like the GT2, and enjoy the driving experience so much more for it. I consider your heavy clutch as a huge benefit.)

Old 02-03-2012, 01:34 PM
floridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud of
Congrats on the GT2...lol, sounds like the car is making you earn it.

Ken

Old 02-03-2012, 03:01 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations to you on your new car purchase. You are now part of a small group.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:46 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
come on, you know the rule about new cars and pics

Old 02-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Pics or not true!!!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Please take no offense by this statements - but

1.) That is quite a leap to go from a Cayman S to a GT2... very different cars that can be driven at very different limts...
2.) I think if the "nuances" are really interfering with your enjoyment of the car, then this car simply isn't for you. Those very nuances are part of what makes the car a GT2. If you want a lighter clutch, more ground clearance, less notchy gearbox, and a car better suited for year round driving... you should have bought a turbo.

If, however, you learn to appreciate these nuances as part of what gives the GT2 its mystique and purpose... you've joined the right club.

FWIW, Michelin will be releasing PSS in GT2 fitment in April, should make the car much more tolerable in wet conditions... and wear better than the r-compound stock tires... although the stock tires really grip well when you get some heat in them on drive pavement.

-m

Old 02-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Are you nuts posting here about a GT2 and not posting pics........ come on already, WE NEED PICS!! GT2's are far and few between and so very special.

Congrats on the pick up enjoy in the very best of health.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:57 PM
bhgt2 has a spectacular aura aboutbhgt2 has a spectacular aura about
Congrats - I haven't had mine for too long but knowing you can beat almost anything on the road makes the nuances seem meaningless

Old 02-04-2012, 06:38 PM
mcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud of
Congrats !!! Love my hard clutch and stiff ride!!!! Wouldn't want anything else!!!! Enjoy in good health and SHOW SOME PICS!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Congratulations on your new-to-you GT2. I'm sure in time you'll read this post and laugh about all the nuances since they are indeed what make the GT2 a special car to begin with. Sometimes you have to suffer a bit for what you love!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:50 PM
3RS4.0 is infamous around these parts
Congrats on your GT2. Pics or ban!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:27 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 3RS4.0
Congrats on your GT2. Pics or ban!

+1.......

Old 02-06-2012, 10:03 AM
notso5 is infamous around these parts
Tough crowd here....lol

Well to prevent myself from being banned....
Here's Tyrone....beautiful scuddy day by the Fraser River

btw...the wife and I went for dinner downtown Sat nite. We pulled up to the valet the same time as an LFA...the kid chose the Lexus but the Older Wiser one took mine...
Name:  IMG_1624.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  162.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1625.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  130.7 KB

Old 02-06-2012, 10:19 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
Very nice - congrats...