997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cautions in buying a 997 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:18 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Experts here on the forum can say what ever they want to, but personally during my search for a TT, i came across at least 2 TT's DME's with type 4 & 5 over revs yet the car was a CPO ...However car did cover i think more then 100 engine hours since the last over rev.

Last edited by quick; 02-05-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:26 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by quick
Experts here on the forum can say what ever they want to, but personally during my search for a TT, i came across at least 2 TT's DME's with type 4 & 5 over revs yet the car was a CPO ...However car did cover i think more then 100 engine hours since the last over rev.
Absolutely right. Don't count on a CPO car to be perfect. It could easily have over revs. Also could have paint work. Meter all the panels. Carfax check is rudimentary, could show things, but can also miss things, so don't rely on them blindly. CPO gives good piece of mind though, as Porsche has among the best CPO warranties.

I also found a used TT with a replaced camshaft. Is that a failure item? I've never seen a car with one that's failed and lived to have it replaced.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Hey SToronto, 126k for such a high millage car seems a little steep!
You should give weissach (weissach.com of vancouver) a call. They send cars to Toronto quite often, and probably can find exactly the car you're looking for, for a MUCH better price. I've used them for over ten years for all my purchases and always been a very happy customer. Speak to Kai there - he's super helpfull!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Chrono997TT is infamous around these parts
For what it's worth - I abuse my car, I hit the rev limiter all the time and track the car about 7 times per year. (haven't missed a shift yet though <g>).

Haven't had ANY problems since purchased in 2008.

I do however, follow ALL maintenance recommendations religiously.

This car is essentially bulletproof, the GT1 engine is a tried and true design that has had the kinks worked out long ago. Frankly I'd worry much more about buying a new 991 than a used 997...

Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
GO-RAN is infamous around these parts
Why not look at some of the 07/08's for sale ? theres a nice yellow one and I think a black one in the 90k range on the trader. Also maybe even a car from the US? We get pounded for P-cars here in Canada, especially if you compare the MSRP for cars here and US.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Carlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really nice
My god it is way too expensive, you can get a very nice '08 with less millage for around 85-90k.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 PM
SToronto is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Hey SToronto, 126k for such a high millage car seems a little steep!
You should give weissach (weissach.com of vancouver) a call. They send cars to Toronto quite often, and probably can find exactly the car you're looking for, for a MUCH better price. I've used them for over ten years for all my purchases and always been a very happy customer. Speak to Kai there - he's super helpfull!
The actual asking price is $115,500, it has 44,000km on it. Was this the car you looked at? Maybe the link directs elsewhere now?

I had looked at Wessach in the past, hadn't thought about them here, thanks for the reminder. Their site photography is always awesome. Only downside would be no CPO. Navigating to the site as I type...

Last edited by SToronto; 02-08-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Chrono997TT
For what it's worth - I abuse my car, I hit the rev limiter all the time and track the car about 7 times per year. (haven't missed a shift yet though <g>).

Haven't had ANY problems since purchased in 2008.

I do however, follow ALL maintenance recommendations religiously.

This car is essentially bulletproof, the GT1 engine is a tried and true design that has had the kinks worked out long ago. Frankly I'd worry much more about buying a new 991 than a used 997...
What are your operating costs like?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by GO-RAN
Why not look at some of the 07/08's for sale ? theres a nice yellow one and I think a black one in the 90k range on the trader. Also maybe even a car from the US? We get pounded for P-cars here in Canada, especially if you compare the MSRP for cars here and US.
I haven't looked at Trader as I was hoping to buy from P-dealer for the CPO benefit.

Thought about a US purchase, still a bit iffy on the process to get it here and ensuring the warranty if fully endorsed by the local dealers. Done some research on the procedure on this board, seems fairly straightforward though.

I did email a dealer in the US and they responded back with they prefer to keep their cars local, not sure if they get penalized by Porsche US. He did however follow it with which car would you be interested in.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Carlitos way
My god it is way too expensive, you can get a very nice '08 with less millage for around 85-90k.
Running a quick search I see a 08 with 90K at $89K and two 07 32K & 49K at $96K & $100K....asking of course.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:46 PM
GO-RAN is infamous around these parts
do you absolutely want a CPO? If so wait it out a bit, im sure something right will pop up. but 115 n 40k is steep if you ask me.

See right now is a tricky time to buy... late next year the 991 turbo will be out and priced will be down tremendously. Thats why i would not go CPO , but would make sure to buy one with a thorough PPI done with a scan of all of the body panels for paint work and so on.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Harold Locay is infamous around these parts
I have 07 997 TT. Love it. No issues from new.
I don't use it as a daily driver but that would be easy.
Previously had C4S. Big difference.
The reliability is incredible , so I hesitate to get
Anything else.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 PM
I actually decided to get the C4S you see in my profile. I thought this fit more of what I was looking for as my first 911. That being said, would like to pay this one off and get a second. A Metzger Turbo might be that second one.

Thanks for all the comments!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Harold Locay is infamous around these parts

Very nice !
I track my car often. If I did not then I would
Recommend never trading a C4S for a turbo.
I loved my C4S just as much as the Turbo.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 AM
Easy888 is a jewel in the roughEasy888 is a jewel in the roughEasy888 is a jewel in the rough
Is there 3rd party warranty in Canada? Here in the states we have Fidelity and though I haven't used it (claimed any work), its a piece of mind to have. It isn't Porsche CPO but my understanding is the cost and term of the Porsche extended warranty isn't worth it compared to Fidelity.