997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just got a new 2012 997 Turbo S :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Dr. Z is infamous around these parts
Break in

I purchased a 12 997 TT in November 2011.....with seven miles on it....I too was concerned about break in....I did a lot of research and reading and found an interesting article on a PCA website. The guy who wrote the article was on a tour of the Porsche factory and he asked one of the engineers why was the break in period was 2000 miles and why all the rules. The engineer told him that when the engine is assembled the factory does get the engine up to redline for a few seconds with an electric crank so that there is no heat buildup....this process is done to insure that all the parts are working correctly. He said that for the parts to wear in properly the engine has to reach operating temperature and run at variable rpms...not to exceed 4200 rpm until after the break in period.
After the 2000 mile mark it is OK to drive the car any way you want after it is warmed up to operating temperature. He also said that the engine is not completely broken in until 20,000 miles. He commented that a properly broken in engine will result in a longer engine life, better performance and gas mileage.....etc...
You will enjoy the white....as I do....

Old 02-07-2012, 07:24 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gtr
Congrats on your Turbo. I usually take her easy and city (light to light) drive it for the first 1000 miles. Going up below 4K rpm and randomly go over a tad after complete warm up and varing the throttle and try not hold at constant throttle position. I usually drive it much harder and up to redline after 1k at short burst. When the engine get looser you'll get faster. From my experience weak engine comes from weak break-ins but you dont' want to break it while breaking it in .

I usualy change the oil 1k miles after breakin. I don't feel comfortable with an oil filter with metal in it or if the oil looks shiney but with the porsche you can't really check it so I get mine done at 1k miles anyways. After that, first redline between 1-2K miles or maybe sooner since the tolerence on the porsche engines ares pretty good.

I do similar methods for my RC cars. And I did broke a connecting rod during break on the toy car because i was too eagar on the throttle so I can assume breaking it in hard has pretty great risks.
Agree with the changing OIL after 1000 miles. Very important although lots of people will tell you " with the latest - tight tolerances it is not needed"... well change the oil AND do an oil analysis and keep that on file. Gorgeous car..for sure.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 PM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by iPhoneEngineer
Very cool. I'll be following a similar protocol, but in particular can't wait to get back up to Northern California to have more readily available access to the Santa Cruz mountain range. I used to live along Skyline (1 mile north of Page Mill), and made the round-trip on Page Mill about 250 times.
Ping me when you're back, it'll be fun to do some mountain runs with you.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 PM
dlrbnkr is infamous around these parts
Congrats

Looks great! I love the stocks and calculator apps on my iPad!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 PM
LFC911Kop2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iPhoneEngineer
Definitely interested. I'm actually in Southern California right now (moved south to be closer to family, working remotely for my current company), but will have to relocate back to Silicon Valley for Facebook. By late February though, I'd like to start getting involved in the Porsche community.

The San Diego PCA puts together some nice tours. I think there will be a couple coming up. Nice to take your turbo in to the local hills. Hope you are able to join us. Not sure if Temecula is too far for you but on the first Saturday of every month , The Temecula Valley motoring enthusiasts meet at the Temecula mall. Quite a few Porsches and a great place to show off your turbo S. quite a few people drive from San Diego

http://www.temeculavalleymotoringenthusiasts.com

I Use Mothers California instant detailer. I use it on my white turbo. Keeps it beautiful!

Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Speed-JHE is a jewel in the roughSpeed-JHE is a jewel in the roughSpeed-JHE is a jewel in the rough
Rt!m

I collected mine from the factory six months ago so had time and distance available to run it in. Tried to follow the restrictions in the manual.

Tip: Drive in "Sport" mode with normal suspension setting. This will discourage running at low revs when cruising

Best of luck.