997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just got a new 2012 997 Turbo S :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:21 AM
iPhoneEngineer is infamous around these parts
Just got a new 2012 997 Turbo S :)

Hi all! I just bought a new Turbo S yesterday, and look forward to learning everything about it. I'm a bit of a car nerd, and the prior cars I've owned and driven for a few years each are:

- ESS-VT2 (500BHP) Supercharged 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe
- 2007 Nissan 350Z
- Heavily modified (292RWHP) 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo

At this moment, I'm most interested in everyone's opinion on how the engine should be broken in. Based on some comments from the dealership, I've experienced full throttle for a couple gears at a time whenever a convenient opportunity arises (a few times per drive). I've heard that a fair amount of spirited driving can actually be beneficial, but there are certainly those who disagree--is there an established view for the type 997.2 Turbo motor?

I almost bought a Tesla Roadster instead of the Turbo S, and I'm glad I didn't--the car is astounding.

Thanks for your input!

Photos of the delivery, with my fiancé

Old 02-05-2012, 01:13 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
The best way is to vary the rpms a lot and do a bunch of city style driving. Don't sit in the freeway and stay in one gear and the same rpms basically. Do that for a few hundred miles.

Congrats on the car and white looks snazzy!

Old 02-05-2012, 05:52 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iPhoneEngineer
Hi all! I just bought a new Turbo S yesterday, and look forward to learning everything about it. I'm a bit of a car nerd, and the prior cars I've owned and driven for a few years each are:

- ESS-VT2 (500BHP) Supercharged 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe
- 2007 Nissan 350Z
- Heavily modified (292RWHP) 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo

At this moment, I'm most interested in everyone's opinion on how the engine should be broken in. Based on some comments from the dealership, I've experienced full throttle for a couple gears at a time whenever a convenient opportunity arises (a few times per drive). I've heard that a fair amount of spirited driving can actually be beneficial, but there are certainly those who disagree--is there an established view for the type 997.2 Turbo motor?

I almost bought a Tesla Roadster instead of the Turbo S, and I'm glad I didn't--the car is astounding.

Thanks for your input!

Photos of the delivery, with my fiancé

congrats! I c u went 2 Hoehn also....Great customer service!

Jim

Old 02-05-2012, 05:56 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !

Old 02-05-2012, 08:21 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Take it up into the mountains if you can and vary the load a lot. When descending, down shift then accelerate accelerate. Vary rpms as much as you can.

How many miles on it whn you took delivery?

Last edited by PT Doc; 02-05-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 AM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Welcome and enjoy in good health.
I sent you a PM.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by PT Doc
How many miles on it whn you took delivery?

So, there's no need to shy from visiting redline while varying RPM? Should full load be avoided and only manual shift used to operate the engine at different speeds without boost?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Cevin is infamous around these parts
That is really nice looking. Enjoy! After you get comfortable with the car, I'd like to read more impressions

Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Some would say that the first 20 miles are the most critical so I guess you're over that hump. Is it customary to get a new car with 25 miles on the odometer, or has this been taken around the blok a few times on test drives? Did you order this or bought what they had?

Since its PDK I guess no worries about over revs from wreck less test drive. Read the manual for specific break in recommendations. Enjoy.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Former Vendor
CharlesAfter is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the car, love the white!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:58 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Glad I was of help. ;-)
Car looks great. Consider changing the turn signals to white. Easiest first mod...

Old 02-05-2012, 05:50 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
Congrats! My ride at 23 was a Mitsubishi GST and I thought I was a baller

I'm guessing you work for Apple?

Old 02-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by GAM3OVR
I'm guessing you work for Apple?
I worked for Apple on iPhone software for about 4 years, starting a few months before the first version came out. I left at the beginning of 2011 to join a startup company, intended to be a shorter stint, and am starting another long-term commitment at Facebook later this month. I wrote the Calculator and Stocks applications, and made contributions to many other apps and frameworks. To be able to do this, I graduated in EECS from Berkeley when I was 18. [end of life story]

I'm loving the car, but concerned about reconciling the difference in break-in recommendation from the owner's manual with the dealership's comments. The dealer says that the engine has already been tested hard on rig in the factory, and the car itself was driven on a test track before being shipped (presumably that represents the bulk of the 25 miles it had at delivery). They say that I shouldn't keep the car in boost for prolonged periods (e.g. high-speed pulls), but other than that, shouldn't shy away from short bursts of full throttle--even to redline.

In direct contradiction, the owner's manual suggests never exceeding 4,200RPM in the first 2,000 miles.

Established knowledge that I'm executing is to use engine deceleration / operation under vacuum with regularity during the break-in process, but I'm most interested to hear if I should be going to redline or full boost at all during break-in. I'll admit there is some temptation to give the 0-60 experience to a few of my friends . That said, I'm not using Sport mode, and definitely not going to try Launch Control until after 2k.

My goal is to do whatever is ideal for the engine--I know some people advocate driving new engines pretty hard to seat the rings. But even if it means truly babying it, I'm up for that.

Last edited by iPhoneEngineer; 02-05-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
awesome car!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
Congratulations on the car! I also owe great credit to the iPhone ecosystem, my apps helped me get my TTS...

Enjoy it in good health. I was also very conflicted about the mixed opinions on break-in. Here's what I settled on:

1) Always warm the oil up to ~200 before any hard pulls, and RPM > 3000
2) Take every opportunity to do hard (sometimes WOT) pulls up to 4200 RPM
3) Don't worry about occasional quick bursts past 4200, but shift out of it asap (1-2 sec)
4) Hit the mountains as much as possible, as they offer the greatest opportunity for large rev variations. I'm a big fan of Page Mill and Woodside up to Alpine and back down again.

White picks up a lot of dust. Quick detailer is your friend!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just got a new 2012 997 Turbo S :)