997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GT-R guy wanting a 997 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thewraith
Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to test drive a 2007 manual later today if time permits. I'm looking for something with 40kish miles on it so I can stay close to a straight trade for the 2009 GT-R I have.
Agree with the manual... If you get the PDK, you're trading one car for another (virtually no difference).

At least, with the manual, you will now have another 'flavor' to choose from. Personally, for me, the GT-R offers more than the 911 (driveability, storage, etc...). Everybody has different criteria. They are both great cars. Can't lose. Good luck!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:22 AM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Agree with the manual... If you get the PDK, you're trading one car for another (virtually no difference).

At least, with the manual, you will now have another 'flavor' to choose from. Personally, for me, the GT-R offers more than the 911 (driveability, storage, etc...). Everybody has different criteria. They are both great cars. Can't lose. Good luck!
While I appreciate GT-R, I know a lot of us here are purist at heart. I can't speak for everyone but I didn't grow up dreaming about owning a Nissan one day. The 911 has a distinct Pedigree. While the GT-R is a beast, the 911 provides that unique history.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:43 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBENZF1
While I appreciate GT-R, I know a lot of us here are purist at heart. I can't speak for everyone but I didn't grow up dreaming about owning a Nissan one day. The 911 has a distinct Pedigree. While the GT-R is a beast, the 911 provides that unique history.
That was probably also before the GT-R made a name for itself (back in '89) and the Porsche was a superior performer.

3 of my 5 kids want a GT-R someday (one of them is a girl).

But, pedigree doesn't make anything go faster, or a warranty last longer, or improve mileage, etc... It does, however, change the driver's experience and feelings towards a car.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM
thewraith has a spectacular aura aboutthewraith has a spectacular aura about
As a follow up and a "disclaimer" here:

I don't care about the brand name of the car- I think it's silly. I'm also sick of hearing people say things like "It's an Auto". PDK's are here to stay and there is a reason true race cars and exotics come with them.

Anyhow, I drove the 911tt at lunch time today on the street in DC and then on the highway and here is what I observed. My coworker drove my 2009 GT-R at the same time.

The car is a "Stage 3" according to Mike, he's making about 650hp. I didn't ask the particular mods, but here it goes.

Power delivery: The Porsche was slightly more laggy, but when the power hit- it was like a kick in the ***. It did break the tires loose a few times and veer left, but this was expected. At high speeds, the Porsche actually felt like it wasn't as stable as the GT-R.

Overall ride: The Porsche was the more comfy car here. In the GT-R (perhaps due to upgraded suspension), I can hear every single bump in the road. The cabin in the Porsche was much quieter, I did notice wind noise in the Porsche, but nothing as bad as the GT-R. Surprisingly- I was getting some creaking from interior pieces rubbing on one another in the Porsche. I have this in the GT-R as well.

I didn't like the shifter, the throws were too long and it felt like my 996 did before the short shifter was installed. It did pop out of gear twice.

Interior, hands down- the Porsche won this one. He had Alacantra inserts and a great steering wheel. The nav system seemed ancient and the interior buttons weren't anything to write home about, but overall- the interior on the Porsche was much better. The seats were great!

I loved the sound of the car, I loved the way it would break loose, and the reliability ratings.

Interestingly- we ran them a few times from different speeds. I have a midpipe, cobb tune, wastegate actuators, transmission and oil cooler, springs, bov's, drop in intakes. I have deinstalled the other upgrades.

From a digg- no contest. GT-R won several cars each time. On the road from 20-85ish, GT-R would be a car ahead with the Porsche gaining each time. From 40-85, the Porsche was slightly ahead. Note that he didn't know how to switch maps on the fly. He was running the 15Psi map. I do have a 17 Psi map.

And don't take this negatively (different strokes for different folks), but if I had to choose just one car- it would be the GT-R. I do know that the Porsche is an icon- but not for the price they charge to enter the game. And with the upgraded interior, wheels, etc- the price difference is pretty substantial. To flip it all around- since I will have another GT-R in the garage, I'm sold on the 911tt- I will find one in the next few months.

Last edited by thewraith; 02-13-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Good write up with a direct comparison.

As I stated earlier - these are practically the same car. The only difference being the manual shifting (which sounds like it could be adjusted to your preferences a little better).

Are you going to even try the .2TT? I know that the consensus here is the Mezger engine would be a better choice. I was just curious.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:45 PM
thewraith has a spectacular aura aboutthewraith has a spectacular aura about
Jasper, I won't simply because it's out of my price range. I'm also looking for a G-Wagon for my fiancee (don't ask me why, I effin hate them- it's her choice). I do know that the Turbo S PDK Porsche is a monster. I have been stomped by one in the past.

Last edited by thewraith; 02-13-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
997.1TT Manual or Tiptronic, manual for more "fun", tiptronic for more consistent performance in those stop light drag sessions.

I am just going to put this here:

Old 02-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Jasper, I won't simply because it's out of my price range. I'm also looking for a G-Wagon for my fiancee (don't ask me why, I effin hate them- it's her choice). I do know that the Turbo S PDK Porsche is a monster. I have been stomped by one in the past.
Since we seem to have very similar tastes, I wanted to weigh in (I know what you mean with women loving g-wagens) These GTR/911 discussions are ultimately turning into routine circle jerks on this forum, so I don't think you came to the right place to get an objective opinion. Porsche/911 and Nissan owners both love to throw out asinine arguments as to why their car is better relying on absolutely worthless subjective nonsense (heritage, stereotypes, etc) to dictate which car is better.

I love my GTR and my GT2, although I agree that even worse than the 911 turbo is the price of admission for the GT2. It is one of the greatest cars I've ever owned but if you take, for example, the new GT2RS @ $250k - I just don't think you can justify that 1 car over let's say owning a GT3RS and GTR. The GT2RS is individually "better" than either car, but it's not better than two cars . That is an often overlooked facet to car buying that I don't think everyone considers.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to continue this discussion. It's hard to keep these discussions objective on a forum like this, so it is likely best to be done in private.

-m

Old 02-13-2012, 05:29 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
i would do the 997.1 either manual or tiptronic, the later aspecially if you are into drag racing... As Switzer said the tiptronic is more consistent...

Then after buy the car send it to Switzer for a P800 package! LOL

Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
As a follow up and a "disclaimer" here:

I don't care about the brand name of the car- I think it's silly. I'm also sick of hearing people say things like "It's an Auto". PDK's are here to stay and there is a reason true race cars and exotics come with them.

Anyhow, I drove the 911tt at lunch time today on the street in DC and then on the highway and here is what I observed. My coworker drove my 2009 GT-R at the same time.

The car is a "Stage 3" according to Mike, he's making about 650hp. I didn't ask the particular mods, but here it goes.

Power delivery: The Porsche was slightly more laggy, but when the power hit- it was like a kick in the ***. It did break the tires loose a few times and veer left, but this was expected. At high speeds, the Porsche actually felt like it wasn't as stable as the GT-R.

Overall ride: The Porsche was the more comfy car here. In the GT-R (perhaps due to upgraded suspension), I can hear every single bump in the road. The cabin in the Porsche was much quieter, I did notice wind noise in the Porsche, but nothing as bad as the GT-R. Surprisingly- I was getting some creaking from interior pieces rubbing on one another in the Porsche. I have this in the GT-R as well.

I didn't like the shifter, the throws were too long and it felt like my 996 did before the short shifter was installed. It did pop out of gear twice.

Interior, hands down- the Porsche won this one. He had Alacantra inserts and a great steering wheel. The nav system seemed ancient and the interior buttons weren't anything to write home about, but overall- the interior on the Porsche was much better. The seats were great!

I loved the sound of the car, I loved the way it would break loose, and the reliability ratings.

Interestingly- we ran them a few times from different speeds. I have a midpipe, cobb tune, wastegate actuators, transmission and oil cooler, springs, bov's, drop in intakes. I have deinstalled the other upgrades.

From a digg- no contest. GT-R won several cars each time. On the road from 20-85ish, GT-R would be a car ahead with the Porsche gaining each time. From 40-85, the Porsche was slightly ahead. Note that he didn't know how to switch maps on the fly. He was running the 15Psi map. I do have a 17 Psi map.

And don't take this negatively (different strokes for different folks), but if I had to choose just one car- it would be the GT-R. I do know that the Porsche is an icon- but not for the price they charge to enter the game. And with the upgraded interior, wheels, etc- the price difference is pretty substantial. To flip it all around- since I will have another GT-R in the garage, I'm sold on the 911tt- I will find one in the next few months.

Good write-up

Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Slick997 is infamous around these parts
Hi all,

I currently own a 2009 White GT-R w/a little over 17k miles on it and extended warranty to 75k. The car has been an absolute treat to own, so much so that I decided to order a 2013 as well.

However, I have always been a Porsche guy as well- having owned about a dozen different models, but fell off after my unpleasant experiences with a 996 turbo I owned 2nd year of release (probably due to abuse from the former owner). I'd like to bring a 997 Turbo to my stable to compliment the new GT-R.

Having said this, and of course I'll do my own research here- I'd like to ask for your help here with the following:

Is the price difference for a 997.2 worth it over a 997.1? Modifications will definitely be in the future of whatever I buy and I have no issue doing them myself.

What about reliability between the two? Need I worry about one breaking at the track over the other (all other things being "equal").

What are my chances for a straight trade? My car is in perfect condition (isn't everybody's?).

Do all auto 997 turbos have PDK? Should I go PDK or manual if I'm only looking for 750ish hp?

Should I wait for the release of the 991 Turbo to make this trade? GT-R prices are holding steady (if not going up) for used models.
if your stiking around 700,s stick with a pdk.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Understood.

My wife has recently asked about the wagon as well...

I recommended the CTS-V wagon. How bad *** is that thing?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Since we seem to have very similar tastes, I wanted to weigh in (I know what you mean with women loving g-wagens) These GTR/911 discussions are ultimately turning into routine circle jerks on this forum, so I don't think you came to the right place to get an objective opinion. Porsche/911 and Nissan owners both love to throw out asinine arguments as to why their car is better relying on absolutely worthless subjective nonsense (heritage, stereotypes, etc) to dictate which car is better.

I love my GTR and my GT2, although I agree that even worse than the 911 turbo is the price of admission for the GT2. It is one of the greatest cars I've ever owned but if you take, for example, the new GT2RS @ $250k - I just don't think you can justify that 1 car over let's say owning a GT3RS and GTR. The GT2RS is individually "better" than either car, but it's not better than two cars . That is an often overlooked facet to car buying that I don't think everyone considers.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to continue this discussion. It's hard to keep these discussions objective on a forum like this, so it is likely best to be done in private.

-m
Interesting... It appears he already has a GT-R and decided (for himself) that he was getting a 911. What is left to decide? He was just simply asking for advice - I've already ordered a 2013 GT-R, which 911 would be the better compliment to it?

Hi all,

I currently own a 2009 White GT-R w/a little over 17k miles on it and extended warranty to 75k. The car has been an absolute treat to own, so much so that I decided to order a 2013 as well.

However, I have always been a Porsche guy as well- having owned about a dozen different models, but fell off after my unpleasant experiences with a 996 turbo I owned 2nd year of release (probably due to abuse from the former owner). I'd like to bring a 997 Turbo to my stable to compliment the new GT-R.

Having said this, and of course I'll do my own research here- I'd like to ask for your help here with the following:

This, coincidentally, is my current situation. I plan on adding another car to my garage, and I am finding it extremely difficult to find a car that we both like (the wife and I) that will bring something different enough that we could both enjoy, and once in a while prefer to drive over the GT-R. We haven't agreed to anything just yet, and I found that I'm apparently not in a hurry.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 02-14-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Has anybody tried a boosted 2nd gear launch?
997.1 m/t

Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Serpentene
Has anybody tried a boosted 2nd gear launch?
997.1 m/t
How to?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT-R guy wanting a 997 turbo