997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GT-R guy wanting a 997 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Maybe its me but the TT is more of a daily driver beast. You cant have cake and eat it so you will give up some. Its hard to compare one tuned car to another. Reason is your tuned car was made by and for you. His tuned car was made for an by him. Lots goes into the build as you know.
You are never going to find a knife that is a scalpel/throwing/concealable/automatic/fighting knife/combat digger. So you have to pick and choose. I learned that with bikes. The rigids look better but will cause you to **** blood. The softtails arent as good looking but you can go for a longer ride. You have to have both.

I think the TT is the closest to both. Doesn't have the track feel as the GTR. But that is the knock on the z06 and zr1 Its a track car with a DOT approved frame. Thats why chevy made the grand sport. You are in a sweet place. To have both then mod them both.
I would go to the fork in the road. Take the left in the GT-R and the Right in the 911tt. What ever the GT-R is go the other way. If its a manual get a Tip. The 911 will corner well, not as good as the GT-R but who cares, make your 911 an animal from the dig and cush enough for the ladies not to chip teeth.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:19 PM
thewraith has a spectacular aura aboutthewraith has a spectacular aura about
Thanks everyone for your honest input and time. I agree on the two different cars for two different purposes. I did own 2 of the newer z06's and although on the exterior, they look downright evil- the cars are garbage for daily driving. They are purpose built cars for one thing only and that is track use. The GT-R is a little more of a daily driver and the Porsche even more so.

I am currently looking for a 997.1 manual, if anyone is interested in a trade- please contact me. I am NOT trying to get around the rules on this forum.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks everyone for your honest input and time. I agree on the two different cars for two different purposes. I did own 2 of the newer z06's and although on the exterior, they look downright evil- the cars are garbage for daily driving. They are purpose built cars for one thing only and that is track use. The GT-R is a little more of a daily driver and the Porsche even more so.

I am currently looking for a 997.1 manual, if anyone is interested in a trade- please contact me. I am NOT trying to get around the rules on this forum.
I think you have reached your conclusion. Different cars totally. I sold my 08 Z06 a few days ago. I owned it for 3.5 years...a record!! I have owned close to 90 cars now in 20 years of driving. I also own a 997.1 with the evt775 kit. I love the car and have owned it for almost 2 years. I also bought a 2011 GT-R but returned it to the dealership shortly after. It had a couple of issues they could not figure out so they bought it back from me.

After driving several, I really think I got a bad one as non of them had the issues mine had and all of the owners were very pleased with theirs.

I am contemplating selling my EVT car to get something completely different. I only have 17,000 miles on the car. The problem is that it is not a daily driver. It has a wicked personality...it is loud, uncomfortable (tons of suspension mod among other interir mods, seats, cage, etc), noisy...and simply put, nasty. It is like that type of lady...hot as could be, with a few tattoos on the right places, but when you "ride it", she takes over and totally controls you...while you may think you are dominating, she grabs you by the hair, flips you around, and ends up riding you. She won't make you breakfast, and she won't call you...but will show up once in a while to make every encounter memorable. No matter what car I get, she is like the one that always keeps you guessing and wondering. I would not call it love...more like lust...

That is my dilemma...if I were to replace it, what would I replace it with? No idea.

OP...try to find a car that is modded the way you would want it and then see what you can do about catching a ride or even talking someone to let you drive it for a bit. That should seal the deal. You can then pick and choose what you like and what you don't like...and then when the modding begins, you can nail it in the head.
Good luck!!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I agree with almost everything you said except the lasting longer part. Everything in the Porsche is made of cast iron. Including the leather. While I mean that metaphorically, there is no question that the Porsche is a notch or two above anything else in the durable, high quality department. That's just a fact.

The Porsche will be in one piece years after the corvette and Ferrari seats are nothing but exposed metal springs... we have all seen THAT corvette and the dash on the GTR is cracked

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
That was probably also before the GT-R made a name for itself (back in '89) and the Porsche was a superior performer.

3 of my 5 kids want a GT-R someday (one of them is a girl).

But, pedigree doesn't make anything go faster, or a warranty last longer, or improve mileage, etc... It does, however, change the driver's experience and feelings towards a car.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting... It appears he already has a GT-R and decided (for himself) that he was getting a 911. What is left to decide? He was just simply asking for advice - I've already ordered a 2013 GT-R, which 911 would be the better compliment to it?

This, coincidentally, is my current situation. I plan on adding another car to my garage, and I am finding it extremely difficult to find a car that we both like (the wife and I) that will bring something different enough that we could both enjoy, and once in a while prefer to drive over the GT-R. We haven't agreed to anything just yet, and I found that I'm apparently not in a hurry.
Jasper,

I totally missed that part where he said he ordered a 2013, hence the context of my response.

Even though the 911 turbo and GTR are different cars, I think they still overlap too much and personally, in that price range, I'd look at a GT3. I still have problems with overlap between my GT2 and GTR, and they are a lot more different than a 997.1 turbo and GTR would be.

-m

Old 02-15-2012, 07:03 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Jasper,

I totally missed that part where he said he ordered a 2013, hence the context of my response.

Even though the 911 turbo and GTR are different cars, I think they still overlap too much and personally, in that price range, I'd look at a GT3. I still have problems with overlap between my GT2 and GTR, and they are a lot more different than a 997.1 turbo and GTR would be.

-m
Thoroughly agree, and now I understand your response. I opened my initial reply with pretty much the same thing - they are virtually similar (because of the type of experience delivered).

I, personally, struggle with adding another car - the wife just came at me yesterday with a strong vote for a 2013 GT-R, but I simply cannot justify a 911 Turbo for the almost the exact reasons you've listed.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Jags you are biased toe the GT-R too though. nothing wrong with that. I think wraith should get a 997.1 tip though.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
Jags you are biased toe the GT-R too though. nothing wrong with that. I think wraith should get a 997.1 tip though.
I am... I wasn't, though, until I owned a 911, and then took delivery of my GT-R.

It comes down to preference and personal criteria. Both great cars.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Yeah I understand the 911 is beneath you and thats ok. However your personal preference doesnt equal someone elses. I prefer muscle cruisers for bikes Now Im sure your CBR900 would be better than a Duc 1098, or a custom bike because it beats it on some test in a track, but that doesnt mean everyone else wants it.

i wasnt biased to german cars till i road in some "performance "Japanese cars. Hey a zr1 performs better too. Enjoy your nissan and let wraith and I enjoy our 911's He obviously wants a 911 for a reason. Im guessing its not a knock on the GT-r

Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Yeah I understand the 911 is beneath you and thats ok. However your personal preference doesnt equal someone elses. I prefer muscle cruisers for bikes Now Im sure your CBR900 would be better than a Duc 1098, or a custom bike because it beats it on some test in a track, but that doesnt mean everyone else wants it.

i wasnt biased to german cars till i road in some "performance "Japanese cars. Hey a zr1 performs better too. Enjoy your nissan and let wraith and I enjoy our 911's He obviously wants a 911 for a reason. Im guessing its not a knock on the GT-r
Interesting condescension and misinterpretation.

Also interesting that wraith ordered another GT-R before the next 911.

I will enjoy my Nissan, thank you. Apparently a lot of Porsche owners are as well. As I've stated no less than 100 times - it comes down to personal preference. How is this any different than you stating - "doesn't mean everyone else wants it"? Does it mean something different coming from a current 911 owner, than one who owned one previously?

Perhaps your translation means something different than mine...???

Old 02-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I think I may have found one, 2007 w/39k miles for $63k. It's a coworkers (same one I drove). Only issue is that it pops out of 2nd gear for some reason, he told me this is normal and that I'm just not used to driving this car yet. I don't know, I've driven manual cars my entire life.

I'd rather do a straight trade, so I will continue to look for a few more weeks.

And for clarification: I am buying the Porsche to add to my 2013 GT-R. If I had to choose one, it would be the GT-R- based on the comparo to my 2009.

I don't care about the brand name or heritage (I've owned 911 turbos, f360, f430, 2 vipers, several z06's, 2 nsx's and an AM). I just want the best car for my purposes- I'm looking for a DD w/the Porsche.

Thanks again!

Last edited by thewraith; 02-15-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Yet you keep telling him to get the GT-R. Maybe that is what I am missing. Here I thought he was asking about the 997.1 vs 997.2 and mods when he was really asking if he should step down from a GT-r and into a porsche.

I have yet to infer that, I liked porsche UNTIL i drove a GT-R. That defines condescending. You own a nissan there is ZERO wrong with it except its slower than a train across Japan with Clarkson driving and buggering the Nav system.

Again i think he should get a Tip 997.1 and go insane with it. You think he should get a GT-R. HE wants a 997.1

Old 02-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Haha, to "clear the air":

I currently own a 2009 GT-R and have a 2013 GT-R arriving. I want to get rid of the 2009 GT-R and replace it with a Porsche so then I will own a GT-R and a 911TT.

Both are great cars.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Yet you keep telling him to get the GT-R. Maybe that is what I am missing. Here I thought he was asking about the 997.1 vs 997.2 and mods when he was really asking if he should step down from a GT-r and into a porsche.

I have yet to infer that, I liked porsche UNTIL i drove a GT-R. That defines condescending. You own a nissan there is ZERO wrong with it except its slower than a train across Japan with Clarkson driving and buggering the Nav system.

Again i think he should get a Tip 997.1 and go insane with it. You think he should get a GT-R. HE wants a 997.1
I'm not sure how you interpreted that - at all. Perhaps you could direct me towards those misleading posts. If you'd like me to direct you to the posts where I clarified him already having a GT-R in the stable (on order), and hence made the GT-R vs 911 issue a non-starter, I will.

As far as the Navi, it's definitely better than any other system I've used (but mine didn't speak Japanese when I got it, so it was easier to understand). I love the dual screen setup.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure how you interpreted that - at all. Perhaps you could direct me towards those misleading posts. If you'd like me to direct you to the posts where I clarified him already having a GT-R in the stable (on order), and hence made the GT-R vs 911 issue a non-starter, I will.

As far as the Navi, it's definitely better than any other system I've used (but mine didn't speak Japanese when I got it, so it was easier to understand). I love the dual screen setup.

Does it come with the face on a stick to avoid tickets? That was a great show LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT-R guy wanting a 997 turbo