997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GT-R guy wanting a 997 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thackl
Sorry, I find the GTR a bit boring too.
Completely unrelated to the Aston Martin DB9 that was referenced...

Old 12-02-2013, 07:50 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rcgalore
Until next GTR's facelift..there is no comparison with the Porsche 997... Looks, agility,comfort...comfort...comfort....and once again...looks!
Yes, if you completely disregard every aspect of performance (including agility), there are much better cars out there. If you want comfort and looks, there are plenty of other (lesser expensive) options as well.

BUT - I don't think there are any more facelifts for the R35, the new version has been shown, to be released in a few months (with the GT-R nismo coming around the Summer of '14). We'll see where the R36 goes. Apparently there was a problem fitting the hybrid system (from Williams) into the R35 (AWD getting in the way). I think the R36 is being designed from the ground up to accommodate the hybrid power plant. We'll see.

With the R35 nismo doing 7:08, it is somewhat conceivable that perhaps a hybrid GT-R nismo (like the 918, P1, La Ferrari, etc...) may yield a time under 7 minutes... Would be pretty cool.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:36 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rcgalore
Until next GTR's facelift..there is no comparison with the Porsche 997... Looks, agility,comfort...comfort...comfort....and once again...looks!
But my 997tt is actually fun to drive. To be honest, I think a C2S with PSE and 6sp is even more fun than the turbo for everyday driving….

Old 12-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by thackl
But my 997tt is actually fun to drive. To be honest, I think a C2S with PSE and 6sp is even more fun than the turbo for everyday driving….
It definitely can be... It all depends on preference.

I've stated many times in the past - I have just as much fun tracking a /92 Miata, as I do a 997GT3.

It all depends on what your preference is, and what you're trying to accomplish in a given situation.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:59 PM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Interesting read. I'm currently thinking about going from a 997.1TT to a GT-R, most likely a 2015 since it sounds like they improved the suspension further for a more compliant ride without sacrificing performance.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Thenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by spf4000
Interesting read. I'm currently thinking about going from a 997.1TT to a GT-R, most likely a 2015 since it sounds like they improved the suspension further for a more compliant ride without sacrificing performance.
Being blunt here: if you buy a 2015 gtr, you are a SUCKER. The new model is right around the corner, why pay an elevated price for something that will be "old news" in very short order. Buy a gently used 2013 (or hell 2014, but I wouldn't go this new) and upgrade the suspension if it's that big of a deal to you. I had a gtr (2011) and the suspension differences that were the biggest/most noticeable were implemented AFTER the 2011 MY. After that point it's just slight tweaks here and there. Not worth the huge markup

Old 12-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Thenewguy
Being blunt here: if you buy a 2015 gtr, you are a SUCKER. The new model is right around the corner, why pay an elevated price for something that will be "old news" in very short order. Buy a gently used 2013 (or hell 2014, but I wouldn't go this new) and upgrade the suspension if it's that big of a deal to you. I had a gtr (2011) and the suspension differences that were the biggest/most noticeable were implemented AFTER the 2011 MY. After that point it's just slight tweaks here and there. Not worth the huge markup
lol! I agree with this. There is absolutely ZERO incentive for me to upgrade my current R35. It's either NISMO, or R36.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:02 AM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold

Just get rid of the RFTs and the ride is transformed.
Bish

Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by thebishman
Just get rid of the RFTs and the ride is transformed.
Bish
This is 100% accurate. PSS's etc... will make the ride a LOT more compliant.

I've stayed with RFT's for two (primary) reasons:

#1 I prefer the stiffer sidewall when tracking (preference, based on zero factual data)
#2 I had a flat tire on the way to work a month ago - drove home, bought tire online, drove to the shop, replaced tire. No drama.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:22 AM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
This is 100% accurate. PSS's etc... will make the ride a LOT more compliant.

I've stayed with RFT's for two (primary) reasons:

#1 I prefer the stiffer sidewall when tracking (preference, based on zero factual data)
#2 I had a flat tire on the way to work a month ago - drove home, bought tire online, drove to the shop, replaced tire. No drama.
Just a couple of points:

I've never seen the data but on a road course I'd wager good money that a set of PSS's would be only slightly slower than the OEM RFT's; hence for a DD that is only driven a few times a year at a DE event, the advantages of the PSS's far out way the RFTs. BUT, if you're really getting on the car at the track the RFT's need to be removed and a decent 'R' compound tyre used; that's what a dedicated track wheel/tyre setup is for.

Re: getting a flat. The OEM RFTs are not designed to be continuously driven when they are punctured, in fact there is a finite number of miles beyond which the tyre has to be replaced if driven whilst flat. It is designed to be much safer when you receive a puncture so that you can (more) safely pull over to the side of the road and/or get off the road until you can have the RFT patched AND plugged (which the correct way to fix a puncture in an RFT). When I had the GT-R I had Pirelli P-Zeros on the car; (PSS's weren't available back then), and carried a can of 'fix-a-flat' with me.

Bish

Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 AM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
lol! I agree with this. There is absolutely ZERO incentive for me to upgrade my current R35. It's either NISMO, or R36.
Let's see where they price the NISMO, but I'm assuming that it's going to be pretty ridiculous seeing the considerable price they've put on parts for the GTR.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by thebishman
Just a couple of points:

I've never seen the data but on a road course I'd wager good money that a set of PSS's would be only slightly slower than the OEM RFT's; hence for a DD that is only driven a few times a year at a DE event, the advantages of the PSS's far out way the RFTs. BUT, if you're really getting on the car at the track the RFT's need to be removed and a decent 'R' compound tyre used; that's what a dedicated track wheel/tyre setup is for.

Re: getting a flat. The OEM RFTs are not designed to be continuously driven when they are punctured, in fact there is a finite number of miles beyond which the tyre has to be replaced if driven whilst flat. It is designed to be much safer when you receive a puncture so that you can (more) safely pull over to the side of the road and/or get off the road until you can have the RFT patched AND plugged (which the correct way to fix a puncture in an RFT). When I had the GT-R I had Pirelli P-Zeros on the car; (PSS's weren't available back then), and carried a can of 'fix-a-flat' with me.

Bish
I agree with all of this.

Re: Flat - The fact that my work is less than 10 miles away from home, and the Nissan dealership is 3 miles away, my experience was easy.
Let's see where they price the NISMO, but I'm assuming that it's going to be pretty ridiculous seeing the considerable price they've put on parts for the GTR.
I think we (prospective buyers) are all waiting for this. The fact that production is limited to 200/yr may lessen my chances if I wait too long.

But I agree that the price may be outside what I'm willing to pay for one. I'm hoping it is under $150k (if it is $125k or less, I'll be on my way down to order one in either white, or that matte gray that people are hating on, exclusive to the NISMO). But based on those parts that we saw in the past, I'm not putting too much stock in my optimism.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:52 PM
I imagine that the Nismo will be staggeringly expensive, and frankly will only be slightly faster on most road courses; (remember the N'ring is 14 miles long whereas the vast majority of tracks are between 2-4 miles in length, hence not enough length for its advantages to really shine), plus I bet it will be a real bear to try and DD.
I had my name down at Boulder Nissan to potentially order a 2015 as the car was reported to have an updated interior; 7 speed DCT, etc, but since there are only incremental changes versus the 2014, I'll wait to see what the R36 is like. In the meantime either the Jag F type V8 R Coupe or 2015 Vette Z0? will probably get my money.
Bish

Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 PM
I agree with all of this.

Re: Flat - The fact that my work is less than 10 miles away from home, and the Nissan dealership is 3 miles away, my experience was easy.

I think we (prospective buyers) are all waiting for this. The fact that production is limited to 200/yr may lessen my chances if I wait too long.

But I agree that the price may be outside what I'm willing to pay for one. I'm hoping it is under $150k (if it is $125k or less, I'll be on my way down to order one in either white, or that matte gray that people are hating on, exclusive to the NISMO). But based on those parts that we saw in the past, I'm not putting too much stock in my optimism.
$125k would be fantastic, but my guess will be that it'll be north of $150k if it's anything like the R34 end of model life cycle special edition. With the additional work they've done to the chassis and engine, I could see it being like the GT3RS 4.0s that go for well above MSRP in the used market.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:44 PM
$125k would be fantastic, but my guess will be that it'll be north of $150k if it's anything like the R34 end of model life cycle special edition. With the additional work they've done to the chassis and engine, I could see it being like the GT3RS 4.0s that go for well above MSRP in the used market.
Agreed. And I have the same issue with the nismo R35 as I did the Z-tune R34 (which were actually 20 used R34's that nismo bought back to modify) - the base model of the next iteration embarrassed it. Basically, I believe the R36 will be much better of a performer than the GT-R nismo. I think if I didn't already have an R35, I'd jump at the 2015 (or nismo if it was worth it for me - and as long as those awful wheels don't come with it).