997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GT-R guy wanting a 997 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:18 PM
thewraith has a spectacular aura aboutthewraith has a spectacular aura about
GT-R guy wanting a 997 turbo

Hi all,

I currently own a 2009 White GT-R w/a little over 17k miles on it and extended warranty to 75k. The car has been an absolute treat to own, so much so that I decided to order a 2013 as well.

However, I have always been a Porsche guy as well- having owned about a dozen different models, but fell off after my unpleasant experiences with a 996 turbo I owned 2nd year of release (probably due to abuse from the former owner). I'd like to bring a 997 Turbo to my stable to compliment the new GT-R.

Having said this, and of course I'll do my own research here- I'd like to ask for your help here with the following:

Is the price difference for a 997.2 worth it over a 997.1? Modifications will definitely be in the future of whatever I buy and I have no issue doing them myself.

What about reliability between the two? Need I worry about one breaking at the track over the other (all other things being "equal").

What are my chances for a straight trade? My car is in perfect condition (isn't everybody's?).

Do all auto 997 turbos have PDK? Should I go PDK or manual if I'm only looking for 750ish hp?

Should I wait for the release of the 991 Turbo to make this trade? GT-R prices are holding steady (if not going up) for used models.

Last edited by thewraith; 02-12-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:25 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Bout time GTR fella'; If your looking for 750+ your looking for a 997.1tt(07-09) its right up your alley.

p.s go with a manual.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:13 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Stick to the 997.1TT 07-09 has the renowned metzger engine comes with forged internals. Came in manual and automatic.
997.2 10-current has the DFI motor and not dry sumped, weaker rods and not as mod friendly. Comes in PDK and manual.

Look at my sig for mods you can do to uncork it.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Mezger...

Old 02-12-2012, 07:30 PM
giadomi is infamous around these parts
I agree with the above posts 997.1 tt

Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Originally Posted by ttpopo
Mezger...
Correct on the spelling. Pronounced "Merzger" in Germany.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:23 PM
M5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura aboutM5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura about
Seems like if you want to extensively mod it, the 997.1 is the better platform. If you go past about 550awhp on the .2 you start having issues with the PDK clutch, DFI fuel pump and possibly rods in that order.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
997.1 can make quite a bit more power, but in most cases PDK will be faster.

Real toss up in my book. It might be an easier decision if the Porsche sticks shifts weren't as clunky when drag racing. The cable shifter, while a necessity due to position of tranny will never shift as positively or hard as a mustang or corvette. If you already have a PDK type tranny in your GTR, then getting a stick might give a good variety and balance.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 02-12-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:21 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ari
997.1 can make quite a bit more power, but in most cases PDK will be faster.

Real toss up in my book. It might be an easier decision if the Porsche sticks shifts weren't as clunky when drag racing. The cable shifter, while a ncessity due to psition of tranny will never shift as positively or hard as a mustang or corvette.
Do you want to drive or have the car do the fun work for you? It takes a lot of HP and skill to overcome PDK launch control at a dragstrip (who really does it at a stoplight?). You already have one of the best DCT/launch cars out (with a 2013 on order). A MT 997.1tt would probably be the most fun and provide a different experience from what you are currently driving and what's on order. I still contend a modified 997.1 with gearing to hit 60 without a shift would eliminate much of the differences seen in magazine test b/t MT/Auto/PDK.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Stoplight races are the most common "street race" IMO. You end up with a guy next to you, the light turns and you go for it. These "races" rarely go past 2nd gear. Without getting into the politics of whether thats safe, legal, ethical... the PDK wins every time. I don't care of the guy in the other lane is GTR or ZRI. The PDK Wins most of the time. Unless you run into a Veyron. Even in LA that's not happening.

I agree that a 60 MPH 1st gear fixes most of the manual P car's faults, although I don't know how hard it would be to launch with gearing that tall in a turbo. You either nail it, or bog badly.

if you want to talk freeway pulls, then they're even more "risky" from a danger perspective unless there is no one on the freeway. The late Robert P, was a great example of that. Meet at 5 AM on a deserted stretch of (toll) freeway an you're not risking any lives. That's what car guys do. That said the PDK will even dominate most of those races. The bigger the turbos on your 997.1, the bigger the turbo lag on the shifts. Unless you're power shifting, that's not a Porsche trait due to the cable shifter. Eventually you will let the clutch a smidge too early and strip third gear.

I'm not taking down the fun factor of stick shifts. They are definitely the driver's options and the OP already has a manumatic in his 2013 GTR. I vote get a stick for that reason. Otherwise, PDK sounds real good.

look, this is a totally personal preference thing. I respect your position and actually mirror it in some respects. I live in the suburbs. You can get away with a street light race once in a while and if you've been around the block you will consider your surroundings (people walking, kids around etc...) before making a decision. Certainly more sound than when I was In my 20s. I'd like to think I don't "force" a situation anymore. If it's not safe, if there is traffic or people around, just don't do it.

Originally Posted by thackl
Do you want to drive or have the car do the fun work for you? It takes a lot of HP and skill to overcome PDK launch control at a dragstrip (who really does it at a stoplight?). You already have one of the best DCT/launch cars out (with a 2013 on order). A MT 997.1tt would probably be the most fun and provide a different experience from what you are currently driving and what's on order. I still contend a modified 997.1 with gearing to hit 60 without a shift would eliminate much of the differences seen in magazine test b/t MT/Auto/PDK.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 02-13-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:40 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ari
Stoplight races are the most common "street race" IMO. You end up with a guy next to you, the light turns and you go for it. These "races" rarely go past 2nd gear. Without getting into the politics of whether thats safe, legal, ethical... the PDK wins every time. I don't care of the guy in the other lane is GTR or ZRI. The PDK Wins most of the time. Unless you run into a Veyron. Even in LA that's not happening.
Well, yes but not always, though. I drive on streets with traffic so i enjoy my car only on highway. I had a couple of races, one lasted 10 miles at least and i can ensure you that only one thing matters: torque. Forget PDK or manual, makes almost no difference
However going fast on a twisty mountain road recently i noticed how comfortable would be if i had buttons on my steering wheels to change gears, instead of using gear stick. Both PDK and Tip would be useful since would allow me to have both hands on steering wheel, which is a must on these ocassions.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to test drive a 2007 manual later today if time permits. I'm looking for something with 40kish miles on it so I can stay close to a straight trade for the 2009 GT-R I have.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 AM
mithiral67 is a jewel in the roughmithiral67 is a jewel in the roughmithiral67 is a jewel in the rough
Would love to hear your comparison of the two. Been looking into 2010 gtrs and 2008-09 911s.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 AM
I will do my best to post an honest opinion. Note that my car is modded so the comparo may be unfair.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
They are 2 different cars, really can't compare one to the other, I like them both each has its own charecter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT-R guy wanting a 997 turbo