997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tire recommendations ... ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Bagger has a spectacular aura aboutBagger has a spectacular aura aboutBagger has a spectacular aura about
Tire recommendations ... ??

Firstly ... don't give me the business for not doing a search. I spent over half an hour looking for answers and did not find anything current or that satisfied my questions.

I'm looking for tires for my '09 Turbo which I'm getting some new wheels. Just stocker sized wheels/tires. Nothing radical.

I don't track the car. The Turbo is my DD. Mileage doesn't really matter, but I don't want to buy a new pair every 5K. I don't like loud tires. I drive pretty quickly on back roads to work in all weather ... except snow. Usually 10-20 over posted on the back roads and some Slab.

Car came with B'stone Potenza RE050RAs. Seem OK traction-wise. Bit noisy, tho. Have 15k miles on the fronts with lots of tread left and 7k on the rears, but don't know how much tread left there.

So ... what make/model of tire do you folks recommend for daily driving?

Thanx.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:39 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
PS2 they've been good to me but the PSS (Pilot super sport) is supposed to be replacing them & are currently way cheaper there's a 5 page thread on these somewhere ,there just not N rated yet.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Bagger has a spectacular aura aboutBagger has a spectacular aura aboutBagger has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by twturbo
PS2 they've been good to me but the PSS (Pilot super sport) is supposed to be replacing them & are currently way cheaper there's a 5 page thread on these somewhere ,there just not N rated yet.
Thanx. I'll try to find it.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by twturbo
^^this Bagger. No personal experience with them, but from all accounts, they sound like a great aggressive street tire, decent wear characteristics, good enough for some for track duty. AND cheaper than the ever popular PS2's. Tough to go wrong with Michelin.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:07 PM
I just looked at Tire Rack about the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Pricey (I hate saying that), but they had a 9.1 rating compared with some other sneakers on their site.

I may wrap these around my new wheels in a few weeks.

Thanx, guys.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Found this review after recommendations above. Plus, TR has one as well that bodes well for the PSS's.

http://63.240.88.234/special-report/...er-sport-tires

Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I have the MPSS on my GT3 and they are a great all-around tire. I have had PS2, RE11 (on my C4S) and Corsas on my GT3. So far, I like the MPSS the best.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Looks like I'm on the right path.

Thanx.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:00 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Is is obvious than PSS in No1 choice

Old 02-13-2012, 04:30 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Call me when you are ready Bagger. I'll do my best to get you into what you need! Thanks.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanx, Damon ... we've been back and forth on email for a bit.

I just received an email from a person who said to use 20" wheels on my 997.1 Turbo. Using 245/30/20 front rubber and 325/25/20s on the rear. Big changes over OEM, eh.

And, the wheel sizes change with the 20 inchers, too. Recommended sizes were 20/9 front and 20/12 rear.

Any one want to chime in about this? I hate spending a crap load of dough and get something I don't like. Can't send it back.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 PM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
Bagger
I have B'stone Potenza RE050RAs (N spec) on stock turbo rims and have had no issues with them. The fronts(from new) have 20K and still have good tread left. I have just put the 3rd set on the rear. First set(from new) i cut a slice out of one so replaced them at about 12K, the set I just took off had just hit the wear bar on the right tire. (Current milage 20K) increased the HP 2500 miles ago, lowered with champion springs and added wheel spacers. Still very happy with ride from a noise and feel perspective.
IMHO 20" on the 997 are a bit large and I have heard people not being so happy after the fact with the ride but at the end of the day its a personal seat of the pants"looks" thing. 19's and lowered looks great .

Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
My Bridgestone RE-11s are really amazing tires.. I suggest you try a set!

Cheers

Old 02-14-2012, 04:27 AM
Tho't about the 20s last evening and decided that I'll stick with 19s and maybe lower the car.

Figure the 20s are more expensive, as are the sneakers that wrap them as well. Plus ... I bet the 20s with bigger rubber weigh at least as much as the OEMs. Maybe more.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:54 AM
jpw2b is infamous around these parts
Hi!
I drove the PSSs for about 2K miles at the end of the summer/fall before putting on my winters. They are terriffic on the street. AS good or better than the PS2s I had before and even quieter. Hopefully will last longer too. Also did one DE day before switching to slicks and they did great for a street tire and wore well.

Would definitely recommend!
Also, from what I have read, would stick with 19in. I even go the other way and use 18in for winter and track duty.

Hope this helps!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations ... ??