997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Durametric rental idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Durametric rental idea

So those of us with Pro models which are sold to shops should get together and build a network to save people the $$ of the $tealer and added 300$ for something most of you guys will use once.

Also I understand Softtronics forces you to buy a second cable if you buy their software. So if you are local to me( im gone this weekend) I will waive any fee if you don't use his programing.
I dont like companies that are too incompetent to build business model to increase profit so they try to force people to pay a premium just because they have a nicer car. The profit is minimal but it shows marketing incompetence.

Using that logic the stealer should charge 500$ an hour.

At this point if you are local region I will be making my Durametric available for use in the next month or so.

Last edited by Squat; 02-20-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't quite follow the details but cost sharing is a great idea and will be greatly appreciated by those local to you. The unit could even be mailed to someone if they needed it, no?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Well its just stupid that these two companies are attempting to get more cash out of the community when they could have a better plan and make more money.

I am on the fence about shipping it ( used to do it all the time with my BMW units). trouble is I would need a 675 core charge then like 625 refunded. Or something more reasonable.

Lots of cool things with the pro that you can do with your key bleeding brakes etc.

What do you think on the core charge? I just dont want someone to get a 25$ unit

Last edited by Squat; 02-17-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:09 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting idea. Where are you located Squat?

Old 02-18-2012, 09:07 AM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
I have a Durametric cable (software and laptop). If your local stop by and user it for FREE.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:14 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Arghh.. I knew I should have stayed in NJ... Just moved to Chicago

Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Will you ship your cable across the country for free? Lardog?

Old 02-20-2012, 06:17 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
Why not just buy your own - you'll spend that much for you next 5 or 6 gas fill-ups and then you'll have one you can rent out.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:31 AM
Not trying to be a jerk, but You are in the US right? Because I said I OWNED a PRO version and would be willing to let OTHERS use it. But I do not want to risk the one bad apple hence the 675 core charge.
Why would you buy one if you could use one for 25$ to reset your Airbag light and add options to your car or the once every year or so brake bleeding? It would be the life of the car before it paid for itself. It makes no sense to buy a 675$ unit that would take 28 uses to pay for itself. I get your gas example but its apples to oranges. So park the car for 6 tanks so you can buy the unit? It doesnt relate to what I am saying. As to 25-50$ for use if you are to cheap to pay that Then you will have to pay the 90-125$ an hour for the dealer to do it.

This is something that the BMW community uses and on good forums it works very well.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 AM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all

If your local stop by and user it for FREE

Old 02-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Not trying to be a jerk, but You are in the US right? Because I said I OWNED a PRO version and would be willing to let OTHERS use it. But I do not want to risk the one bad apple hence the 675 core charge.
Why would you buy one if you could use one for 25$ to reset your Airbag light and add options to your car or the once every year or so brake bleeding? It would be the life of the car before it paid for itself. It makes no sense to buy a 675$ unit that would take 28 uses to pay for itself. I get your gas example but its apples to oranges. So park the car for 6 tanks so you can buy the unit? It doesnt relate to what I am saying. As to 25-50$ for use if you are to cheap to pay that Then you will have to pay the 90-125$ an hour for the dealer to do it.

This is something that the BMW community uses and on good forums it works very well.
Squat - where are you located?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Virginia. Northern

Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !

There is only one software developer that has created an interface for the end user to use as an alternative to PIWIS/II. By loaning the cable to other members who download the software for free, you are essentially giving other potential customers the benefit of your purchase. While this is generous of you, it also defeats the spirit behind end user software licensing. It's your hammer - if you want to loan it to others to bang in a few nails, it's your prerogative.

However, I like supporting a software developer that pioneers data logging via OBDII interface. Durametric continues to update their software for every new generation of Porsche vehicle developed, and continue to support vehicles that are over 20+ years old. Their downloads and updates are provided free of charge...thousands of dollars less than PIWIS/II or a PIWIS clone.

One man's "incompetent business model" may be another man's livelihood. I support any company that has supports the Porsche community and Porsche owners with continued technical support and free updates.

Last edited by bbywu; 02-20-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:40 PM
lilindienplaya is infamous around these parts
Has anyone used the Durametric cable that comes with the softronic tune? reason I ask is because i installed the tune and everything worked fine. But when i launch a Durametric 6 software it gives me an invalid cable error, I called Vivid they said call Durametric, I call them they have me do a few different things and still couldnt get the problem resolved, they then said its a bad cable and cant help me since its softronics cable, I then call Vivid back to explain and they tell me its impossible for it to be bad. Now im here waiting to hear back from vivid.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Because Softronic is SO desperate for a couple bucks they want you to have to buy 2 cables. This is the reason for my deciding to rent or give my cable out.

Softronic and durametric are trying to squeeze an extra 100$ out of people so this is how they do it.
Why dont I care about Durametric? Because they coded or allowed Scott to code their cable so you can't use the one you already have. I mean that might save you a couple bucks and that is their kids college money.

Thats why I would steer clear of Softronic. Read the threads about him and you will start to see why so many people dove out of the woodwork when he starting screaming about his warranty "coverage"
If someone is so sneaky they will tell you "mess with your ECU after a failure so the Dealer doesnt know" and THATS my warranty? That tells you all you need about them. Then they work with other companies to force you into buying more than you need? If I have a durametric tell me why I need to get another one just because Softronic wants me too? Is he that scared of losing 20$? OR his BS marketing plan to say you are getting a 300$ bonus when he prices it in and it only costs him 100-120$????

When it comes time for a tune, Softronics will not be on my list.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Durametric rental idea