997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Wheel Weights Galore!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:11 AM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Wheel Weights Galore!!!!!!!!!

Hello all,

TPMS went crazy last week, had a fast leak in my rear right tire and unfortnately the closest shop to me at the time was Wheel Works. I was very hesitant but did not have a closer option as I did not want to damage my wheels.

So after 2 hours of adolescent boys working on my car this is the end result.Second pic shows about 300 1/4oz wheels weights placed on the wheel. First pic shows my original wheel weights. I guess Wheel works only has 1/4oz weights. The nice clean weight I had before is 1 5/8 oz.

So my question is does anyone know where I could find my original ones and whether or not the dealer would have something similar? Thanks

Attached Images   
Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
The large number of weights is often an indication of the expertise of the balancer. I once took my car (not the P car) to Canadian Tire for balancing. They put a total of 8 oz on one wheel. They spun the tire, the machine said put one weight here. They did. Then they spun again and the machine said put another weight here. They just kept doing that until the machine said it was balanced. It never occurred to them that the only reason additional weights were required was they screwed up the placement on the first one - and so on.

Now to the point... if it looks like there is too much weight on your wheel, there probably is - take it to a shop who knows how to balance a wheel. I'm pretty sure these weights can be cut in half also.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
That's pretty entertaining. I'm surprised they didn't just tape some gravel from the parking lot to it. Get it redone asap, doubled up weights will come off in no time.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Slider
<snip>
Now to the point... if it looks like there is too much weight on your wheel, there probably is - take it to a shop who knows how to balance a wheel. I'm pretty sure these weights can be cut in half also.
+1.

Now the car is safely drivable, find a shop with a Hunter Road Force machine - and skilled operators too.

If you are close to Mountain View, Joe @ Custom Alignment comes highly recommended by my local indy.

-Graeme

Old 02-20-2012, 11:09 AM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Thanks for the input guys I'm definitely going to get it rebalanced but my OCD question is does anyone know where I can source the original wheel weights. I've searched the web and could not come up with anything. Does anyone know if these are Porsche OEM as I do know the wheels were originally mounted by a P-Dealer.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Okay got the answer, talked to my local Service Manager, the original weights are Porsche OEM and he said "bring your car in asap" laughing while he looked at the Wheel Works work Okay I can sleep now, thanks again.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
wheel weights

Hey guys I just wanted to follow up and close on this thread and maybe give a few other OCD and **** owners like me an opportunity to get rid of those ugly zinc weights.

So to start I took my car into the dealer to have it rebalanced for obvious reasons(see pic above) and they noticed that the nice 1 piece weights I had on wheels were in fact not OEM. So now what? I looked at the Porsche OEM weights and even though they are coated and precountoured they come in long strips as well and increase in length by weight.

So after searching all of Google I found the weights I had before. The manufacturer is Plombco with Fastenal being one of the major distributors. They are leaded so I can gaurantee that no one in CA has them. The good thing is they do not necessarily increase in lengh with weight, rather by thickness.

To sum it up after minimum order quantities I am unofficially a very small distributor for Plombco

Hey happiness is key to a healthy life. I've attached a pic as well enjoy!

Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2012, 07:44 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
omg, you do have OCD! hahaha

Old 04-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
no matter how much bs the wheel works managers talk they don't know what they are dealing with..

i always cringed when i had to take my hre wheels to get tires.. they were local and i just didn't have time to drive to the south bay..

they actually hammered on weights on the inside barrel lip of my hre's at one point.. no joke i had to tell them to use stick on weights with my wheels.

their excuse - "hey man we work on lambo's all day".. i just laughed and said good for you

Old 04-09-2012, 11:42 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porka
no matter how much bs the wheel works managers talk they don't know what they are dealing with..

i always cringed when i had to take my hre wheels to get tires.. they were local and i just didn't have time to drive to the south bay..

they actually hammered on weights on the inside barrel lip of my hre's at one point.. no joke i had to tell them to use stick on weights with my wheels.

their excuse - "hey man we work on lambo's all day".. i just laughed and said good for you
good lord!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by djantlive
omg, you do have OCD! hahaha
Yes I admit I have a problem And for shi#S and giggles I'm going spraypaint the weights in gunmetal to match the wheels. Did I say I have a problem.

Originally Posted by porka

Well I'm not surprised and that is what you get with the major chains as 98% of the kids there have no experience.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:19 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by eurotom
I'm going spraypaint the weights in gunmetal to match the wheels.
The gunmetal color would in fact make the weights stand out even more. I would say just spray the entire inside of the wheels including the weights the same color if you want a perfect color match. Now that's what I would call an OCD

Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by quick
The gunmetal color would in fact make the weights stand out even more. I would say just spray the entire inside of the wheels including the weights the same color if you want a perfect color match. Now that's what I would call an OCD
Yeah yeah yeah I know give me a break I was looking for someone to support my disorder Anyone need some nice wheel weights hahahaha.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:28 AM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Make a post on the for sale section!!
I am really wondering how many you had to buy to become a small dealer! HAHAHA

I am sure if you list them they will sell real quick. Lots of people with OCD here, few are admitting it!

Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
That is a sign that the tire needs to be indexed on the wheel and re-balanced.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel Weights Galore!!!!!!!!!