997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2012 997tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 AM
DriftingTree is infamous around these parts
2012 997tt

Ok so after a couple of months. The turbo is a piece of art in all respects. The speed of the car is unreal. The only knock to the car, a soft suspension but a few tweaks and that is solved. They way the car corners is so unique. Floor it and the back end seems to just follow you. A far cry from a 525hp M3...

Not that I ever make bad choices but with all the talk of PDK I might have choose the wrong direction with the turbo. My thoughts were to own a turbo, dream car, with a 6spd before they totally change the spirit of the 911. I love manual but....

Can anybody either tell me I messed up or that everything is okay

In the long run, 20+ yrs, would somebody rather own a 2012 turbo 6spd or turboS PDK. Never ask a question you don't know the answer, well I am hoping I don't...

Old 02-23-2012, 10:08 AM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
I'll add my vote to the PDK-is-fantastic camp, but I'm sure in the years to come you'll have plenty of opportunities to drive a non-manual car. There's absolutely no sense regretting your 6-speed decision, both setups are fun in their own unique way.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 PM
mozhacker is infamous around these parts
99.9% of people on this planet that don't despise cars in general will be looking at any of us - TT vs TTS vs PDK or 6spd any combo - with utter fantasy that they - not you - are in that driver's seat

There is no wrong pick. Get a PDK next time if you want to see how it's like with a hot brunette vs hot blonde. Some people going to have preferences, but can't see either camp being miserable with either

Old 02-23-2012, 07:22 PM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mozhacker
Get a PDK next time if you want to see how it's like with a hot brunette vs hot blonde. Some people going to have preferences, but can't see either camp being miserable with either
Hahaha, love it.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 PM
mozhacker is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by arash
Hahaha, love it.
for reference - I was a 6spd driver my whole life, including last 4 of 5 p-cars. This turbo is my first non-6spd traditional manual/clutch car. Sure I miss some things on 6spd but I got some things with PDK that I'd now miss if I went back to 6spd. If 6spd is still available next car around, I'm literally going to flip a coin or likely not have a choice since next car will prob be an S with only PDK option. I just cant stand the look of 991 series though - maybe when I see the turbo version I'll grow into it.

either way, enjoy your awesome p-car.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 PM
dlrbnkr is infamous around these parts
I think it also depends on your driving style. If mine was a DD I'd probably prefer PDK but since it's just for fun, I enjoy the 6spd. There's no substitute for shifting out of a curve and hammering the throttle to get a little 4 wheel drift!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
6speed with LWFW will put a smile on your face every time you rows through the gears.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
There really isn't a wrong pick... The pdk is the fast way around for sure though.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Well done! All cars of this caliber should come with a 3rd pedal standard with an option otherwise.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Thank you for the kind words. It is a pleasure to share with you guys.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 AM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DriftingTree
Ok so after a couple of months. The turbo is a piece of art in all respects. The speed of the car is unreal. The only knock to the car, a soft suspension but a few tweaks and that is solved. They way the car corners is so unique. Floor it and the back end seems to just follow you. A far cry from a 525hp M3...

Not that I ever make bad choices but with all the talk of PDK I might have choose the wrong direction with the turbo. My thoughts were to own a turbo, dream car, with a 6spd before they totally change the spirit of the 911. I love manual but....

Can anybody either tell me I messed up or that everything is okay

In the long run, 20+ yrs, would somebody rather own a 2012 turbo 6spd or turboS PDK. Never ask a question you don't know the answer, well I am hoping I don't...
your write up seems to suggest that you are more of a traditional manual guy. If this is the case, you will probably feel disconnected with a PDK car.
I prefer the manual because I enjoy the driver involvement. Resale will probably be better with PDK beacuse in this new age more people will prefer it. However, there will always be a market for manual cars too. Bottom line: you have YOUR dream car the way YOU prefer it.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
2 nd gear is so broad in these things that you can do a lot with it and never change a gear if u don't want.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
I have driven pdk and 6 speed, but for some reason, for my sports car, I want to have some fun with it, and I enjoy shifting gears, at the end of the day, 4.2 to 3.9 is not that serious, unless you are going to track or racing for a living..... my .02 cents

Old 02-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Jeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of light
Third pedal is the way to go, forces you to drive the car, how often are you in a drag race at a stop light?

Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 PM
More impressions...

So it seems the front suspension is soft and the back hard. Making it hard for the car to "plant" Some adjustments-fixed.
I would like for the boost to come in a bit quicker. While there is nothing more fun to me than shifting, I would like a shorter throw...

I was thinking about, meth, ssk, chip and exhaust... Thoughts?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 997tt