997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

EP2 & APR 1st Impression

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Steverin06 is infamous around these partsSteverin06 is infamous around these partsSteverin06 is infamous around these partsSteverin06 is infamous around these partsSteverin06 is infamous around these partsSteverin06 is infamous around these parts
EP2 & APR 1st Impression

I flashed my car and installed an EP2 system on my 08 tip yesterday. I've been driving it a bit and figured I'd share with yall my impressions.

The first thing I did was the flash. I went with GMP because they offered the best price. I did the flash myself and it was a pain in the ***, but well worth it. Matt sent me the laptop and handled all my questions and roadblocks on the way. I would highly recommend hard wiring the laptop - I had to move my whole wireless system downstairs, then eventually ran a 100' Ethernet cable straight to the computer. If you lose the signal in the middle of the flash, the ECU tanks. Plus the longer it takes to flash, the longer you are draining the battery which will also tank the ECU. Matt did a great job and spent a couple hours with me on and off the clock to make sure the install went fine.

<O</O
The exhaust was coming in the mail a couple of hours later so I took her for a spin and did runs on the stock map and the 93. The car is SIGNIFICANTLY faster on the flashed map. It is such a large difference, that it almost seems like the stock map is detuned from stock, but I'm sure it isn't - it's just that big of a difference. I'm very happy with the performance difference of this tune, and you can easily feel it by just switching back and forth from stock. The APR tune is everything I read it was. The car makes boost much earlier, gets to max boost quicker, and as we all know it produces significantly more boost. As I was telling Matt, when the boost kicks in the 93 map it feels like you're going into full afterburner. So now I get the same sensation going to work as I get at work - terrific!

<O</O
Next up was the exhaust. Everything about the Europipe is amazing. From the workmanship to the customer service from Stef to the packaging, the tools, the sound....everything. You're doing yourself an injustice by putting anything else on your car. Even though I have a tip, I ordered the EP2 despite the warnings from Stef. I'm glad I did. I ordered ceramic coated black tips and they came out great. Problem was, was that they had to send the tips to someone else and they were late getting back (Thursday). That prevented me from being able to install the exhaust at the same time as the tune during this slow weekend as we had planned, so he offered to rush ship it so I would get it Monday. I told him to save his money and send it normally as I am too busy during the week to do the install. He replied a few hours later telling me his brother sent it in the mail and it should be there the following day (Friday). That just goes to show you the kind of people Stef and his brother are.

<O</O
Because of a customs hold up and several epic failures from fed ex, I received the exhaust on Saturday, a few hours after I flashed the car. The install was pretty straight forward, and in a few hours we started the car and were welcomed to a symphony of intensely deep tones and gargles.

Everyone has already read how amazing this exhaust sounds. It sounds even better than words can describe. The EP2 isn't as loud as I thought it would be, it does drone on my tip between 2-3k, but it's not too bad for me and only when you really only notice it on the highway traveling (not often). The car is absolutely ballistic now, I don't need it any faster. VERY happy with both products. And after the first ride with your Europipe installed, you get to come back and drink a few Belgium beers Stef throws in, with the person that helped you put it on.<O</O

Last edited by Steverin06; 03-12-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
I believe you've been inspired by the Greek guys here on 6speed: APR tune + EP2 on a tip.

What a great write-up this is Steve. Seems like you had no issues installing the new exhaust. The main problem is always unlocking the 8 nuts at the turbochargers. On high mileage cars that can become a problem and regular wrenches will no longer do the job.

Your right side tip might need some extra adjustment though. Also that little can with the white stuff inside isn't youth cream but ceramic grease.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:58 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Your choises are the best...did you try APR stage 2 software?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Steverin06 is infamous around these partsSteverin06 is infamous around these partsSteverin06 is infamous around these partsSteverin06 is infamous around these partsSteverin06 is infamous around these partsSteverin06 is infamous around these parts
There were two options for the flash, both said 'stage one,' but one also said (testpipes). I asked Matt and he said the testpipes one was for AM exhausts. Not sure if that is stage two or not.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Nice! I like the APR tune. I'm prepping for it now!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:34 PM
avh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to all
Congradulatios Sreverin06 on your choice , very wise one too. I know how you feel . I got EP-1 and I LOVE it. Can you please tell me about the GMP tune , because I am thinking about a ECU tune also, and seriously I am confused so far .Any info will be very helpful.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 PM
AVH, get the tune! If anything, it is the only one that is risk free. You can get a 6 hour trial for free, or buy it with a 30 day money back guarantee. Either way, plan on spending thousands...the difference is HUGE.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steverin06
AVH, get the tune! If anything, it is the only one that is risk free. You can get a 6 hour trial for free, or buy it with a 30 day money back guarantee. Either way, plan on spending thousands...the difference is HUGE.
????

Old 03-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
????
I would have thought that addressing the context of that comment twice in the exact same paragraph I made said comment, that I meant financially risk free... Guess not to some people. BTW the car runs great, no smoke.

BTW guys the tune truely doesn't increase your rev limiter, as I still have zero rev counters in the 2-6 range.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I would have thought that addressing the context of that comment twice in the exact same paragraph I made said comment, that I meant financially risk free... Guess not to some people. BTW the car runs great, no smoke.

BTW guys the tune truely doesn't increase your rev limiter, as I still have zero rev counters in the 2-6 range.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
Seeing as you've done nothing but hate on APR like some jealous girlfriend for years, and also hate on my car when you know nothing about it (while you being flat out wrong), your 2 post which consist only of a bunch of question marks and an emoticon are not surprising. Go hate somewhere else.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Banned
Seeing as you've done nothing but hate on APR like some jealous girlfriend for years, and also hate on my car when you know nothing about it (while you being flat out wrong), your 2 post which consist only of a bunch of question marks and an emoticon are not surprising. Go hate somewhere else.

Here you go wise guy, get yourself educated. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/263555-ecu-tuning-2.html
Post 29, 66,84, 86.. + Many other recent threads too where i've spoken fondly of APR. But i'm sure a wise guy like you knew that....or, are you just relying on times long gone by when i and others were originally questioning the 1 bar max boost claims which were later found to be flawed by costas. Just ask Skand and Costas how much i'm hating on APR.... And Matt, too...

Btw As i correctly pointed out APR is not the "only" safe tune to purchase at all. So again, instead of shooting from the hip, get yourself educated before your feet are all completely shot off. There is more to life than just obeying orders buddy. Sometimes you've actually got to use your own loaf and find things out properly before opening your mouth.

Most tune vendors on this board also offer satisfaction money back garantees. It depends on what you ask when you shop a tune. I mean wise guys should ask before parting with their hard earned now shouldn't they?

PS. Btw. Found any cheap taiwanese 500.00 LED DRL's yet??
I mean all those 6 speeders that are group lining up to pay 1 K for the real deal off Vivid. They must be crazy right?

Oh and i hating on your car? WTF? Why would i bother? Get over yourself and get a grip.

Now. As i very politely said on post 2: . But you couldn't leave it there now could ya.

Edit. The only sensible thing to come out of your mouth so far is singing the praises of Stef and his Europipe product.....totally agree with all of that 100%. Plus the APR tune is a goal kick too. Although i couldnt help but notice your earlier concern/criteria of not having any drone yet you evidently went against Stefs advice i see. Hmmm. Another flash of brilliance? I guess the only fallback to that is EP2 is awsome anyway. GL. Something tells me you need every bit you can get...

Last edited by speed21; 03-13-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
I am not aware of APR policy in US,but in Europe flash is sold as stage 1 for 93 octane fuel and stage2 for 100 octane (euro )fuel...Almost every porsche owner here uses 100ron fuel so i keep running stage 2 software...If you plan to run catless stage 2 is modded to avoid check engine light.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:38 PM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by skandalis447
I am not aware of APR policy in US,but in Europe flash is sold as stage 1 for 93 octane fuel and stage2 for 100 octane (euro )fuel...Almost every porsche owner here uses 100ron fuel so i keep running stage 2 software...If you plan to run catless stage 2 is modded to avoid check engine light.
In the States they offer the different octane as different maps that you can switch by using the cruise control stalk. We get 4 different maps, stock, 93, 100 and valet. Stage 1 is for stock exhaust and stage 2 is for aftermarket exhaust.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
93 octane in the U.S. is roughly equivalent to 98 octane in Europe.

The difference is simply the measurement used, (RON + MON)/2 here in the States, vs. straight RON for you guys.

When guys here fill up with "100 octane" it's usually something like Sunoco 260 GT, which actually is 105 RON. Just FWIW.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.