997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help retrofitting GT2RS intercooler to 997.1tt without modifying the ducts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:31 AM
drvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the rough
Help retrofitting GT2RS intercooler to 997.1tt without modifying the ducts

Hi all,

Been reading with interest the body of knowledge on this forum and others regarding the superiority of the GT2RS intercoolers over the stock 997.1tt and 996tt...

I think for my requirements, that would be a sufficient upgrade, particularly considering the price, and the fact that most aftermarket ICs have very sketchy data and IAT logs to prove their performance vs .2tt/GT2RS... A CTR intercooler is very expensive and almost certainly overkill for my intermittent spirited street driving and rare track days (thought I can see how Secan and CTR would be superior here)... just to put it in context, I am based in Australia, so the temperatures in summer are easily 30-40 centigrade and humidity can reach 100%... additionally, the best fuel we have here is 98RON... The car already has a Europipe 1, so I feel an IC upgrade is a sensible option for extracting a bit more performance and fun from what is already a great car.... Kevin@UMW will be providing some new software hopefully to take advantage of this slightly tweaked setup...

The only retrofit threads I could find showed modification of the existing intercoolers ducts to accommodate the thicker and narrower .2 ICs... I wanted to find out if anyone has managed to fit these ICs into a 997.1tt and if they did so without modification to the ducts... the reason for this is I would like to always have the option of returning the car back to stock for resale...

I would presume that I will need to purchase new ducts from a model that uses the new ICs... but I'm not sure if that should be a GT2RS or a .2tt.... and do I need both ducts? or just the "intake" duct or "exhaust" duct...?

Should I look at new intercooler hoses??? Should I upgrade the DV while I'm there? To the Bosch 710N?

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.... my car is under warranty but my dealer has agreed to this upgrade if they do it and it uses porsche parts.... if anyone can provide any other online resources (such as parts lists) I would be eternally grateful...

drvik

Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 AM
drvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the rough
Here's some info I've already located, with some part numbers...

http://www.teile.pl/katalog/Porsche_...7_Charging/64/

https://dspace.ist.utl.pt/bitstream/...issertacao.pdf

Not sure if I'm supposed to be looking for 997.2tt, GT2 or GT2RS brackets and ducts though....

Old 04-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Banned
MannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the rough
Old 04-01-2012, 01:23 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drvik
Hi all,

Been reading with interest the body of knowledge on this forum and others regarding the superiority of the GT2RS intercoolers over the stock 997.1tt and 996tt...

I think for my requirements, that would be a sufficient upgrade, particularly considering the price, and the fact that most aftermarket ICs have very sketchy data and IAT logs to prove their performance vs .2tt/GT2RS... A CTR intercooler is very expensive and almost certainly overkill for my intermittent spirited street driving and rare track days (thought I can see how Secan and CTR would be superior here)... just to put it in context, I am based in Australia, so the temperatures in summer are easily 30-40 centigrade and humidity can reach 100%... additionally, the best fuel we have here is 98RON... The car already has a Europipe 1, so I feel an IC upgrade is a sensible option for extracting a bit more performance and fun from what is already a great car.... Kevin@UMW will be providing some new software hopefully to take advantage of this slightly tweaked setup...

The only retrofit threads I could find showed modification of the existing intercoolers ducts to accommodate the thicker and narrower .2 ICs... I wanted to find out if anyone has managed to fit these ICs into a 997.1tt and if they did so without modification to the ducts... the reason for this is I would like to always have the option of returning the car back to stock for resale...

I would presume that I will need to purchase new ducts from a model that uses the new ICs... but I'm not sure if that should be a GT2RS or a .2tt.... and do I need both ducts? or just the "intake" duct or "exhaust" duct...?

Should I look at new intercooler hoses??? Should I upgrade the DV while I'm there? To the Bosch 710N?

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.... my car is under warranty but my dealer has agreed to this upgrade if they do it and it uses porsche parts.... if anyone can provide any other online resources (such as parts lists) I would be eternally grateful...

drvik

I don't have the exact answer here, but you would need both the upper and lower ducts as the factory clips that hold them together wouldn't be aligned otherwise. This issue is whether or not they will work with the .1 bumper. The duct set is the same price (~$900 USD) for the .1 and .2, so you could always mod your set now and buy another set if you go back to stock. Other than that, I'm afraid I'm not much help here.

Stock intercooler hoses are fine, as are your stock DVs (997s do not use the same type of DVs as the 996 so 710Ns are not an option -they call them boost recirculation valves or "BRVs" on 997s)

Last edited by earl3; 04-01-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks earl,

Your contribution to this whole "movement' has been huge... your suggestion about butchering now and replacing later is quite good... from the photos I have seen it's only the upper duct that has to be cut across and telescoped and pop riveted. When going back to stock this would involve the purchase of only half the ductwork... therefore, cheaper install initially, guaranteed fitment with the bumper, and cheaper return to stock... glad I asked the question!! Is there a thread already describing the fitment of these to a 997.1?? I think I've only seen the 996 fitting threads...

Are zip ties the only way to sandwich the two ducts around the IC?? Will they cope with the heat??

Are there any other mods I should be looking at while the back is off the car?? That was why I asked about BRVs as an example... though not sure the dealer will go that far and keep my warranty though

Lastly, from all the reading I've done, the 997.2 ICs are the only ones that have really been tested this well with runs logging IATs... is there any similar info around that CONFIRMS that any of the other aftermarket offerings beat the cooling performance of the 997.2 ICs?? I would prefer seeing lower IATs than dyno runs as is used in some threads to "prove" the performance of ICs....

Thanks again...