997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My experience on the roadcourse: 997 turbo PDK vs 458 vs Aventador

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
My experience on the roadcourse: 997 turbo PDK vs 458 vs Aventador

PDK owners...sleep with confidence.

I just got back from an awesome weekend in Vegas. I can't sleep so I figured I would get some quick shots of the videos on my phone and get them loaded up. I need to do some editing and get the full things loaded up but my computer is acting super wacky.

Well, I got to drive a 458. I drove this car last year and it was faster than the Superleggera, and absolutely demolished my times on the Murcielago (what a pig). I also drove a 430 Scuderia which was the car that impressed me the most and also, the only one that was slightly faster than the 458.

Here is a video of the view inside the 458...
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3tZu_5LSil8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3tZu_5LSil8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

The second fastest car for me this time by a very, very small margin (2/10ths of a second) was the new Lamborghini Aventador. I was really looking forward to driving this car. I have to say, that I did not like it. It felt heavy, sloppy and did not inspire confidence. It was however, VERY fast, especially on the straight away. Before looking at my times, I thought for sure it would be a toss up as far as which car would be the fastest...the 458 or the Aventador. I think it could have gone either way. I drove the Aventador first but I also had more laps on it and I broke it (ok, not really - I just ran out of gas), so I had a good break to compose and take it back out for a few more laps. The sound of this car was amazing...I really don't know which exhaust I liked better...it was a toss up between the 458 and the Aventador.

Here are a couple of videos of the view inside the Aventador
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YLTJutoE-80?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YLTJutoE-80?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YLTJutoE-80?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YLTJutoE-80?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

The fastest car, by a margin of 1.1 to 1.2 seconds per lap, was the 2011 Porsche Turbo S PDK. This was a complete surprise to me...and 2 other friends that drove the same cars and others, had the same experience. The times on the 911 Turbo S were quicker by about a second in comparison to the times on the other cars. At first I thought it could be that I was simply more familiar with the car, but that was not the case as none of my other friends have 911s. The pdk is simply put, a beast...a stealth beast. It is quiet, refined and it shifts so fast and smooth and catches rpms so fast that your hand begin to gets sore from all the upshifts...it is a work out. This thing definitely needs the "tailwag-mod" done to the exhaust....

I knew it would be fast...but I did not know it would be THAT fast on the course in stock form.

You be the judge...
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Hhs4rHUQRI?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Hhs4rHUQRI?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Driving these cars made me appreciate my car even more. I just wish I could shift as fast as the PDK and not have so much lag in between shifts. My car would be perfect otherwise...

Here are a few pics...

Last edited by TAILWAG; 04-02-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:49 AM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
Great post and thanks for sharing.

BTW if you had to choose only 1 car to drive every single day which would it be and why ? While you were slightly faster in the TTS, if $$$ was not an issue, would you choose it over the 458 ?

Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tortesq1
Great post and thanks for sharing.

BTW if you had to choose only 1 car to drive every single day which would it be and why ? While you were slightly faster in the TTS, if $$$ was not an issue, would you choose it over the 458 ?
That is a VERY tough question but one that I pondered myself. I can tell you for sure that I would not choose the Aventador. My driving confidence would be on the floor as if you are 5'7" through 6'5" you simply won't be able to see anything in the car. The steering wheel is not adjustable and it covers all of the top rpms...but you can hear the music from the exhaust and that makes up for it. However, the blind corners are horrible...you can't see anything around you and that would be a huge issue for me.

The Turbo S, while EXTREMELY fast, lacked character and grunt. The sound of the 458 alone make up for the 1 second slower laps. I think I would have to take either a 458 or a Scuderia 430. Now that would be a very, very tough choice indeed.

I loved all cars and appreciated what every single one has to offer. I would love to take my car to the very same course and run simultaneously to compare times and see how much to mods really account for when we talk about lap times.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:01 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Can you pm me the info about that event! That looks like it would be a blast!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:21 PM
alexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the rough
same here what event is that how what was $?

Old 04-02-2012, 02:22 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
What an excellent post. Rep points when I am on my PC can't do on a tablet.

Do tell, what was the event?

Although I respect your opinion, you forgot the "911 quarter rear view factor" when choosing a car. Its the one you get when you park and walk away, and as you walk away, you glance at it and grin. Add a Europipe and the exhaust sound issue is gone! But then again I am a one track mind when it comes to cars...

Old 04-02-2012, 02:46 PM
The event is run in Las Vegas EVERY day of the year. It is called exoticsracing.com. I know several of the instructors there and did an event last year. You can spend anywhere from $ 150 to $ 2000...depending on how many cars you want to run and how many laps each. Usually 5-7 laps per car is more than enough if you are a quick learn. You get videos from inside the car and they are EXTREMELY accommodating. Tell them Angel sent you their way and they will make sure you guys have a great time and good pricing. I have sent probably 50 or so people their way and every single one had no regrets.

I am going back again at the end of this year to run the new McLaren against a couple of other cars. Definitely make it a group deal as it is Vegas and it is only as fun as your company . Last year it was 12 guys on our group and we had an absolute hoot. This time we took our "ladies" with us and it was a blast as well. We usually get there Friday evening...have some fun, race on Saturday...compare videos and times Saturday evening - go out and then come back Sunday night after we recoup from the previous night...LOL.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by dianic
What an excellent post. Rep points when I am on my PC can't do on a tablet.

Do tell, what was the event?

Although I respect your opinion, you forgot the "911 quarter rear view factor" when choosing a car. Its the one you get when you park and walk away, and as you walk away, you glance at it and grin. Add a Europipe and the exhaust sound issue is gone! But then again I am a one track mind when it comes to cars...
I agree with you. I am on my 2nd year on my 911 and I love it. If I were to get a new PDK, the first thing I would do is remove the whole exhaust and slap on a set of straight pipes - that is pretty much what I have on mine and I absolutely love them....

Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
definitely need to do this next time i'm in Vegas- thanks for the tip. repped.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 PM
nreddy is infamous around these parts
drove 2 cars this past year at LVSW-exotics racing

After driving the 458 and the 430 scud-am a huge ferrari fan. Will always keep my 911. Will definitely add a mid engined ferrari to the stable. Steering feel, engine sound, ability to free rev/corner is intoxicating. Liked the 458 a little better.Only by a very small margin.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:56 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Nice post tailwag! Must have been a heap of fun driving all those exotics. So the 911 is still king of the heap eh? Best of luck to you and thanks for sharing the experience.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 AM
ORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud of
Looks like some serious fun.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 AM
997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough
Did that last year, it was so fun! Got a free upgrade to the Scuderia, since the 430 had a long line, that was the best sounding and fastest car I drove. did the Lamborghini Gallardo too. My instructor for the Scuderia I didn't like at all, slowed me down, basically yelling at me in the video, telling me Porsches were not real race cars, the other instructor was very pleasant like in your video. thanks for sharing!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 AM
P-car Fan is infamous around these parts
Thank you for the great review! I'm leaving for Vegas in the morning, but can't fit this into the plans this visit unfortunately! I've done a similar driving event in Miami, and agree that the larger Lambos feel like pigs compared to the 430 (the 458 wasn't available to drive).

Have you driven the GTR there? If so, how does it compare to the others?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by P-car Fan
Thank you for the great review! I'm leaving for Vegas in the morning, but can't fit this into the plans this visit unfortunately! I've done a similar driving event in Miami, and agree that the larger Lambos feel like pigs compared to the 430 (the 458 wasn't available to drive).

Have you driven the GTR there? If so, how does it compare to the others?
I haven't as I had a GTR already. Two of my friends that went there drove them...I can't remember their times but they were certainly comparable - all within a second of their fast runs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My experience on the roadcourse: 997 turbo PDK vs 458 vs Aventador