997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My review on the APR tune.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nevert00fast
The boost hits the same way in normal mode with the tune, you can see there was no little up arrow when it overboost with with sports on. With the APR tune, the car is always in overboost mode.

I actually shifted right before 6500, but i wasn't completely off the throttle so the rpm went up a little more. My car is a 6spd, not a tip. The rev limit is the same before and after the tune.
Sorry, mixed your car up with Vic's. Yeh noticed there was no arrow, but have heard the APR only has the one file for both modes. Anyway best of luck, enjoy, and if i ever get myself around to trying it i'll let you know my thoughts. Cheers.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:31 PM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speed21
Sorry, mixed your car up with Vic's. Yeh noticed there was no arrow, but have heard the APR only has the one file for both modes. Anyway best of luck, enjoy, and if i ever get myself around to trying it i'll let you know my thoughts. Cheers.
I think it might be the same map, but they do retain all the other functions of sport mode including more quicker throttle response.

I just did a quick 100-200 in normal mode and got 6.3, same time as in sport mode.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:44 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
plus at the end of the day I still struggle with the thought of paying 3200 and then eating a perfectly good tune for the sake of a tiny bit extra power I may or may not really feel. It'd be nice to try it one day tho if just to see what all the fuss is about.
Paul, if you feel like spending 3200 (approx) then get the upgraded vtgs and 997.2 i/cs and you won't have to pay for the tune upgrade. It really is a worthwhile upgrade over just the tune.

Very impressive numbers for just the tune. Without upgraded i/cs you'll notice a bit of loss with repeat runs in warmer weather. I noticed it at the track even on a cool day before getting the .2 ics.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor
Chris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

So after about a few hundred miles and a few pulls with the PBox I feel I have enough miles in the seat to provide some feedback regarding the APR tune for 997.1 Turbo.

Just a little quick background info on my car. It's a '08 6spd, I already had the Fabspeed exhaust with 200 cell cats on the car. I did the Sachs 2.5 clutch kit and denso plugs before I got the APR tune. I did a lot of research on the different tunes that were available out there. What I liked about the APR tune was that it offered 93 and 100 octane maps and it's ability to switch maps on the fly without using a laptop, also it seems to have the highest torque numbers which makes it fun on the street.

Getting the APR tune on the car couldn't be easier, I got the laptop in the mail and loaded the tune in less than 30 minutes. The car drives identical to stock when you're cruising with the boost coming on earlier, and boost goes up to an indicated 15psi quickly when you open the throttle. Sport mode is retained, but it doesn't really overboost since the boost is always high. Throttle is more responsive in sport mode just like before the flash. I know there has been a lot questions on how much boost the APR tune makes, I was told by APR 1.4 bar. I also ran about 10 gallons of 100 octane and the car is noticeably quicker, unfortunately I didn't get any Pbox numbers but will do so the next time I get some 100 oct. The only thing I'd change is the power delivery, the way the boost hits it's almost too "on and off".

I was able to do some runs with the Pbox on 93 octane,
60-130mph, 7.9 1 shift
100-200kmh, 6.3 0 shift. 6.6 1 shift

Think my slow shifting is killing my 60-130

Glad it all worked out and thanks for great review you know I am always here to answer any questions.

Any other questions about the APR tune feel free to ask away

Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chris Green@USP
Glad it all worked out and thanks for great review you know I am always here to answer any questions.

Any other questions about the APR tune feel free to ask away
Thanks Chris for helping me out with the APR tune.

I picked up a durametric and will start doing some data logging both on 93 and 100 octane. Did a quick pull on 93 last night, seems to run a little rich up top.

For those that are interested I started a thread here,

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-log-file.html

It's still a learning experience for me with the durametric software.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Did some runs with 100 octane today. I put 5 gal of 100 octane in the tank, switched the map and did the runs. So I don't know if it'll get faster if more miles are driven with 100 octane in the tank, but these are the results right after I switched the map.

60-130mph=7.5
100-200kph=5.9
Temp=60F

Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
Does APR make a tune for the 997.2TT?

Old 04-20-2012, 06:38 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Did some runs with 100 octane today. I put 5 gal of 100 octane in the tank, switched the map and did the runs. So I don't know if it'll get faster if more miles are driven with 100 octane in the tank, but these are the results right after I switched the map.

60-130mph=7.5
100-200kph=5.9
Temp=60F
Does the butt dyno notice a difference of 0.3-0.4s off the 100-200 time? I'm thinking that it would be a noticeable difference, what was your opinion about the difference with 100 octane?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by TT Chris
Does APR make a tune for the 997.2TT?
I don't believe so.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Does the butt dyno notice a difference of 0.3-0.4s off the 100-200 time? I'm thinking that it would be a noticeable difference, what was your opinion about the difference with 100 octane?
Yes, I did feel a difference between the 93 and 100 octane, a very noticeable difference actually. I did datalog with 100 octane also, boost level is the same but with more timing. The ignition angle is smoother with the 100 octane. The increased power is everywhere, low to mid range response is improved as well. Too bad it's $10 a gallon.