997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Another clutch slave cylinder failure...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 PM
otis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to behold
[quote=johnww;3525355]
Originally Posted by otis
Well my 20k 997.1 TT lost it's slave cylinder like many others. The regional manager for Porsche did decided to cover the cost of repairs. I was very happy to hear they were willing to cover it. My warranty just went out over the winter while the car was stored. It was fine when I put it away last fall until I took it out for the first drive this spring. Same symptoms as others have posted the pedal went to the floor and failed to return up. I did have the last 30% of travel left and was able to limp to the dealer for repairs. There was no fluid on the floor. I knew it was the slave since once it was in gear the clutch held fine under power just no pedal. They seemed willing to pay for the repairs which were quoted at $1200 since I was getting the 20k service and plugs/coil packs replaced.

Glad Porsche is taking care of it's owners!
I guess having that last 30% travel meant that you could shift once or twice to dealer?? Trying to figure how to catch this problem early before towing is needed. Was the clutch getting more difficult to depress especially when starting a cold engine?? Also did you notice if the reservior level for the clutch oil was a bit high?? Porsche says higher level could be sign of coming disaster. Not sure how much oil could make it to the floor, however.
I notice with time my slave oil dropped a little, but porsche tech says that small loss is from wear on the clutch parts.
If caught a bit early, It sounds like the car will drive ok, say in 3rd gear, but cannot be shifted. Does that sound correct?? I have 50K miles(6-years this Dec for end-extended warranty) on my turbo, and yours is 20K, seems too early for a slave problem. I guess time crapped out your warranty. I wonder if keeping the clutch applied during red lights, makes it tougher on slave etc? I keep trans in neutral and foot off clutch waiting at all lights.
No warning at all. I never measured the fluid to see. Car was stored over winter and no preceding symptoms. No way to predict this one. When it happens you may see fluid on the floor, but I didn't. I don't down shift or keep the foot on the pedal so I doubt it. If you can afford a turbo you better be able to afford to fix it.

Otis

Old 04-26-2012, 01:40 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
It's not cost, it's not affording cost. It's the absolute waste of time having the breakdown, waiting for tow, waiting at dealer for repair involving issue that should have corrected years ago especially for a >$130k car.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
/\

exactly

Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 PM
otis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to behold
This is my only issue in 4 years of ownership. Very few of my many vehicles can say this. I can't say much except Porsche came through for me on the repair. Hope more guys are as lucky as I am.

Too bad such a cheap part isn't recalled and fixed on all cars. That would cost them millions instead if they only cover the part for certain circumstances like original owners they diminish the payout dramatically. If they didn't cover it I was going to convert to the GT2 slave.

Otis

Old 04-27-2012, 03:51 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Does the gt2 slave conversion fix this problem?

Old 04-27-2012, 08:26 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
yes, it removes all the faulty parts Porsche keeps replacing failed parts with over and over again. Dealers have to love it, its like another 1k profit per Turbo when, not if, that part fails again out of warranty.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Confused: are you saying GT2 slave conversion is $1K more than the $1-1.2K for stock slave??

Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM
zippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud of
The GT2 slave conversion pre made kits are sold for 1k from multiple vendors. This kit is much more than just the slave. The stock TT slave only is about 600 plus three to four hours labor at 110 per hour. The slave sits on top of the tranny and is a pain to get to. This needs to be done by someone experienced though since you need to plug off the power steering assist lines to the stock TT slave. The GT2 also uses brake fluid instead of power steering. If you don't understand most of this then you probably aren't going to appreciate the simplicity and feel of it. The conversion would benefit you solely for piece of mind and won't be prone to fault like the assisted stock slave on the TT. There is some added pedal pressure since you are taking away the assist, so beware and don't think something is wrong.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
I REALLY enjoy the feel of the clutch after the GT2 conversion. A ton of feedback as you release the pedal and control the engagment of the disc. And yes, removing the parts that fail is nice peace of mind, so on a long enough time frame the installation pays for itself.

Last edited by RNS; 04-27-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by RNS
I REALLY enjoy the feel of the clutch after the GT2 conversion. A ton of feedback as you release the peddle and control the engagment of the disc. And yes, removing the parts that fail is nice peace of mind, so on a long enough time frame the installation pays for itself.
So as I understand the GT2 conversion puts the clutch back to a mechanical operated clutch without oil assist, then why the brake flluid required?? And too, why can't one just use the GT2 porsche clutch hookup or does one need the aftermarket conversion kit??
I guess for feel of clutch....in the morning with the stock slave-clutch before starting the engine is more difficult to depress and this must be like the feel of the GT2 conversion clutch?? Does that sound about right?? What is supplier name of conversion kit that you had installed??

Last edited by johnww; 04-27-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:42 PM
that morning feel is probably the slave failing.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Like power steering. As soon as eng starts .... All ok. Just stiff for that 1st petal press to start. Been like that for 2-3 years. I'll ask tech Monday. Good point

Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by johnww
So as I understand the GT2 conversion puts the clutch back to a mechanical operated clutch without oil assist, then why the brake flluid required?? And too, why can't one just use the GT2 porsche clutch hookup or does one need the aftermarket conversion kit??
I guess for feel of clutch....in the morning with the stock slave-clutch before starting the engine is more difficult to depress and this must be like the feel of the GT2 conversion clutch?? Does that sound about right?? What is supplier name of conversion kit that you had installed??
Hi John - yep the conversion makes it mechanical getting rid of the power assist. The power assist fluid (penosin???...would have to look the name up) is cleared out of the car...needs to fully by flushed out...and replaced with brake fluid. Not sure why it's brake fluid, smarter people than myself will have to chime in! The GT2 clutch itself won't fit onto the trans casing of the turbo, they are a slightly different shape.

So the "magic part" is the machined aluminum brace that makes up for the difference in trans casing shapes, so the GT2 parts can bolt onto the turbo casing. For complete transparancy, my turbo is an 09 and the tech who did my installation had to machine down a few milimeters of aluminum from the brace to get the holes to line up and parts to bolt on. It was a bit of a pain to figure out, and the only conclusion we came to is the exact shape of the webbing on the 09 trans case must be a very very slight tweak (undocumented in any specs) from the 07/08. Who knows. I'm just glad we got it to line up and work perfectly.

There are several distributors of the complete "kit" itself, but it's ultimately sourced from EVOMS (they put the parts in the box, and are who makes the aluminum brace).

I did the conversion in conjunction with the Sachs 2.5 clutch/pressure plate so both items contributed to more pressure being requred to push the pedal down. 100% personal preference but I really love the feel. I have since hopped in a stock clutch 996 tt and I couldn't feel any pressure at all, almost as if the weight of the pedal itself was all it took to push to the floor. I was also in a friend's GT3RS and it's pedal feel was lighter than my car. Prefer the feel of my clutch the best, and even if it was sliiiightly heavier I would have no problem with it.

Lots to think through. Reach out with any questions.

Last edited by RNS; 04-27-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Appreciate RNS write-up. Great job. I'm just moderate fast/furious street driver; think best to stay with stock slave, sounds like GT2-conv real hassle and most likely track required.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by gmoney
that morning feel is probably the slave failing.
Going thru some of the 996 info on slave failings, looks like its the accumulator going bad that causes the stiff feel in the clutch. Anyone know generally time length involved to replace both slave and accumulator via porsche tech? Crap, just noticed the cap for the slave fluid has come loose and will not tighten. Not much fluid increase and cap threads don't look stripped. This plastic-crap used in cars today fails under the strangest circumstances. Maybe the damn plastic cap was tighten too tight at the factory or by a tech during mantenance check.

Last edited by johnww; 05-27-2012 at 07:32 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another clutch slave cylinder failure...