997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Another clutch slave cylinder failure...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:07 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I had a similar issue with the cap a few years back also...would not tighten. I think its been replaced when the accumulator and slave were swapped out as its on there now - not that I dare touch it to test it!

Old 05-28-2012, 11:53 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by gmoney
I had a similar issue with the cap a few years back also...would not tighten. I think its been replaced when the accumulator and slave were swapped out as its on there now - not that I dare touch it to test it!
I guess there is no pressure in the vessel so its alright to drive around with a not real tight cap??? Any thoughts? I just taped the cap down with electrical tape to drive it around during the holiday. Shame with such an expensive car they can't develop a cap more durable to tightening. The cap on the power steering or other fluid containers do not have such a problem.

Last edited by johnww; 05-28-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:37 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by gmoney
Finally got the slave, accumulator etc repaired for $1800. Apparently according to tech, with the 2007/2008 turbos, these things go bad. My signs were getting more difficult to press clutch, oil seeping out of cap which distorted cap so it could not be tighten. Level would change only slightlly. This issue was giving plenty of signs especially for the last year, the pedal was getting more difficult to compress. Fortunately I had a few more months on my extended warranty. Clutch pedal now compresses easily like when car was new.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:35 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Good to hear, Im going to do GT2 conversion this summer and put this behind me.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
My clutch started feeling "funny" today - stiffer than normal when driving and not a "smooth" pedal feel (felt like a little resistance). Is this the warning sign that I'm about to have a clutch slave failure? Still have 6 months of warranty left.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=The Bogg;3649917]My clutch started feeling "funny" today - stiffer than normal when driving and not a "smooth" pedal feel (felt like a little resistance). Is this the warning sign that I'm about to have a clutch slave failure? Still have 6 months of warranty left.[/QUOTEs
The clutch getting harder to depress especially at startups if sure sign. Not sure what you mean stiffer when driving. Stiffer when depressed during shifts while driving, yes. If over 45K miles, yes its the slave. Another achilles heel in this beloved porsche turbos.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:15 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
My clutch started feeling "funny" today - stiffer than normal when driving and not a "smooth" pedal feel (felt like a little resistance). Is this the warning sign that I'm about to have a clutch slave failure? Still have 6 months of warranty left.

Just been through this!!! check if you have any fluid coming out of the resovoir at the front!

If so it will most probably be the slave and also get the box out and make sure nothing else has failed as the cause of my problem was the thrust bearing which has broken!

My car is being repaired at the moment!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-bearing.html

Last edited by GTRNICK; 09-26-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:27 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Thanks John. Yes, I meant stiffer when driving and shifting. Oddly enough it is intermittent, it felt back to normal at the end of my drive home. I didn't see any of the Pentosin leaking when I looked this afternoon.

I saw your thread, Nick. GL with that.

My car has the Sachs II.5 clutch setup. I have my annual track day in 10 days, hopefully the car holds up till then!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:31 PM
oh, and my car has 44k kms on it, which is just under 30k miles.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:08 PM
otis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to behold
That's now mine felt right before it went. Pedal became much stiffer for a month or so before the slave went.

Otis

Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 PM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future
installation time for GT2 clutch conversion kit

Had my slave cylinder replaced last year under warranty.
I have a stage 3 clutch masters on car & want to install GT2 conversion kit (master & slave cylinder upgrade) b/c Porsche mechanic had told me the stock system doesn't stand up to the high performance clutch.
The kit is ~ 1k & now have to factor in labor as well.
Anyone know how many hours it requires to install this kit?

Old 09-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by otis
That's now mine felt right before it went. Pedal became much stiffer for a month or so before the slave went.

Otis
Rats, I was hoping it was just something that needed a shot of Armour All. Looks like my car has had too many of the known "issues" happen - slave cylinder, camshaft timing issue. Hopefully the coolant spill issue doesn't happen! At least not at the track next weekend.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Rats, I was hoping it was just something that needed a shot of Armour All. Looks like my car has had too many of the known "issues" happen - slave cylinder, camshaft timing issue. Hopefully the coolant spill issue doesn't happen! At least not at the track next weekend.
Tell us a bit more on this camshaft timing issse....have not heard of this?? Getting close to end of extended warranty and want to cover this issues that seem to happen to thise cars. The air pressure sensors is another big one at 45K miles.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by johnww
Tell us a bit more on this camshaft timing issse....have not heard of this?? Getting close to end of extended warranty and want to cover this issues that seem to happen to thise cars. The air pressure sensors is another big one at 45K miles.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cel-p0021.html

The inner sleeve rotates inside the camshaft and basically screws up the variocam. So far I was lucky that it just meant an actuator change and not a camshaft change.

And how could I forget about the spoiler hydraulic leak I have (which is apparently a known issue). Thank goodness for cpo.

Hadn't heard about the air pressure sensors. lol, one more cel to watch for I guess. I still love the car though.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:03 AM
anthonycocca is infamous around these parts
high clutch engagement point = faster shifts

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another clutch slave cylinder failure...