997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Another clutch slave cylinder failure...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 02:04 PM
cby1 is infamous around these parts
Symptoms of Slave Failure - can I limp to shop?

2008 997 Turbo, 21K miles.

OK, so my clutch pedal goes to the floor, and I have to pull it out with my toe. This happened with no warning. Fluid levels (brake and hydraulic) look OK (any fluid check I missed?). Don't see any leaks under the car. Not a mechanic, though.

I want to take it in to get the GT2 conversion - but can I drive it (~20 min) to the shop like this, pulling the pedal out after each shift, staying in 3rd, etc.?

Anyone done this? Don't want to flatbed it if I can avoid it.

Thanks much,
Chris

Old 02-16-2014, 10:31 AM
irvinejay is infamous around these parts
997.1 Clutch Slave Failure

Just filed a Complaint to DOT.
If you have premature failure, be sure to file a complaint to DOT
Here is the link.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Old 03-23-2014, 06:56 AM
maverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RNS
I have since hopped in a stock clutch 996 tt and I couldn't feel any pressure at all, almost as if the weight of the pedal itself was all it took to push to the floor. I was also in a friend's GT3RS and it's pedal feel was lighter than my car. Prefer the feel of my clutch the best, and even if it was sliiiightly heavier I would have no problem with it.

Lots to think through. Reach out with any questions.
Hi SNC,

my slave is also likely failing. How heavy is the clutch after the GT2 conversion?

Is it lighter than than the GT3 and GT2? I am confused when you say yours feels heavier than the GT3RS. GT3's usually have pretty heavy clutch pedals.

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 PM
joecmess is infamous around these parts
Just had slave cylinder go on my 07. My Fidelity extended warranty won't cover anything to do with clutch so I am stuck with a 1700 repair. Plus new tires.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
So is it fair to assume if i drove a stock GT2 - the clutch feel is what i would be looking at on my Turbo with the change to the GT2 slave kit? There is one at a local dealership that i may drive if they'll let me.

I am considering this mod as mine is starting to fail, but i want to see what i am signing up for before making the final decision.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:36 PM
turbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud of
I also did the GT2 conversion in conjunction with the Sachs 2.5 performance clutch. Sort of a pre-emotive strike before a failure. I love the stiffer pedal and very predictable clutch uptake. I highly recommend this upgrade.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turbojohn54
I also did the GT2 conversion in conjunction with the Sachs 2.5 performance clutch. Sort of a pre-emotive strike before a failure. I love the stiffer pedal and very predictable clutch uptake. I highly recommend this upgrade.
How difficult is it in stop and go traffic?

My worry is that with the upgraded clutch and the GT2 conversion, that it will be a bit of a bear in stop and go traffic leading me to not drive the car as much.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:14 PM
turbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud of
I don't do a lot of stop and go driving in traffic, but when I have been in that situation the stiffer clutch hasn't been an issue for me. My left leg did not get fatigued. I wouldn't let that concern change your mind about the upgrade.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by turbojohn54
I don't do a lot of stop and go driving in traffic, but when I have been in that situation the stiffer clutch hasn't been an issue for me. My left leg did not get fatigued. I wouldn't let that concern change your mind about the upgrade.
Great info - thank you!

I am hoping to take a short drive in a GT2 from a local dealership so i can have a bit of a basis to make a decision. I just don't want to spend the money and regret it... sounds like most are very happy with the upgrade.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:44 PM
Glad to help. Good luck with your decision!