997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Before New 997.2 TT Delivery - VentureShield, Tire/Wheel Care in MA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Karman is infamous around these parts
Before New 997.2 TT Delivery - VentureShield, Tire/Wheel Care in MA

Greetings! Before taking delivery of a new 997.2 TT, I need help with a few questions:

1. Where is a good place to install VentureShield in MA?... I e-mailed Protective Solutions, they never responded. Then I read thread #3 on this post which got me worried: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...taller-ma.html

2. Should I have the dealer install the VentureShield?... I am worried about razor marks.

3. What happens to the paint if I remove the VentureShield in a few years? Can there be damage by removing it? Will the color change, fade, dull, etc.?...

4. Is it worth getting Porsche Tire and Wheel Care for $1095?... I MIGHT want to change the Turbo wheel to the HRE P40 19" in 2 years, but then again I live in the N.E. where the roads are bad.

Thanks, you guys are the best!

Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Winnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura about
I have talked to Rick at unique car care in Wakefield. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but after talking to him, he knows his stuff.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Rickrack is infamous around these parts
clear bra installer in MA, Xpel Ultimate/Ventureshield, Unique Car Care

Originally Posted by Winnilaker
I have talked to Rick at unique car care in Wakefield. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but after talking to him, he knows his stuff.

Thanks for referring me.

Karman: Congrats on the new car!

The thing with dealerships is that most of them profit from add-on services such as clear bra and most of the time they will bargain with the vendor for cheaper pricing. In order for the vendor to land the account, they must be competitive with pricing, yet still make a profit. In order to make a profit, most vendors opt to use a cheaper brand film, which usually looks great for the first year until it starts to turn cloudy, discolor and even yellow. In addition to using an inferior film, they use pre-cut kits which leave lots of areas unprotected and prone to damage, not to mention unnecessary seams around headlights, headlight washers, reflector, etc.. These kits are easier to install, allowing the installer to install the kit in a very short amount of time.

If the installer isn't properly trained, they can cause damage to your paint and easily ruin the paint finish. Make sure you do your research before choosing an installer, as I have seen so many hack installs it's not even funny. Most installers get paid by the job and have multiple cars per day, therefore the time they can spend on each job is limited. Instead of giving the areas being covered a proper prep, they simply wipe the dirt off with a rag and go to town applying the film (trapping dirt and contaminants underneath the film). I spend at least an hour prepping every car to ensure the paint surface is free of any bonded contaminants, fully polished to ensure there are no scratches or blemishes and wipe the paint surface down with a prep solvent to ensure there is a perfect foundation for the film to adhere to. In addition, we remove as many pieces as possible to ensure the best install possible (remove headlights, reflectors, plate frames, etc...) and wrap all edges.

Depending on what level of coverage you're interested in, I highly recommend having the entire front end covered in film (complete hood, complete fenders, complete front bumper & side mirrors). You may also want to add rocker panel coverage, replace the factory splash guard for added coverage and custom "mud guards" behind the rear wheels since these are all high-impact areas.

I have installed clear bra's on hundreds of Porsche's and prefer not to use pre-cut kits. We perform a 100% custom install using bulk pieces of film and avoid having unnecessary seams and wrap the film around all panel edges for maximum coverage and the cleanest install possible.

As far as choosing a film, I was using nothing but Ventureshield for years, but have completely switched over to the new Xpel Ultimate film, which has self healing properties and comes with a 10 year warranty. In my opinion, I think it blows Ventureshield out of the water in both looks and resisting weathering.

The film can be removed any time you like without any negative effects. Although newer paint doesn't really fade, the paint underneath the clear bra will look the same as the rest of the car that was not covered in film (even color brightness/sheen), besides the fact that there will be no stone chips where the film was. It can be removed with a heat gun very easily if you choose.

To give you an idea of the process, here is a recent install we did on a silver Carrera using Xpel Ultimate film:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ling-film.html

Another one (Audi RS4):

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...-m3-detail.htm

Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have Rickrack79@hotmail.com

Best regards,
~Rick

Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks Winnilaker for recommending Unique Car Care! I'll let you know how it turns out if I pull the trigger before you.

Thanks Rick for a detailed and comprehensive response. I remember the beautiful detail work you did on a Porsche a while back, but for some reason I had forgotten that you install PPF too... Then again, it was 2 years ago. Seriously, your passion, technique, and dedication to detail really shows in those links. I will call you for an appointment this week. Talk to you soon!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:21 PM
clear bra in MA

Originally Posted by Karman
Thanks Winnilaker for recommending Unique Car Care! I'll let you know how it turns out if I pull the trigger before you.

Thanks Rick for a detailed and comprehensive response. I remember the beautiful detail work you did on a Porsche a while back, but for some reason I had forgotten that you install PPF too... Then again, it was 2 years ago. Seriously, your passion, technique, and dedication to detail really shows in those links. I will call you for an appointment this week. Talk to you soon!
Sounds good Karman,

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
~Rick

Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Wonderful Experience At Unique Car Care

Right after the new 997.2 TT was shipped, I took the car for state inspection, then immediately dropped the car to Rick at Unique Car Care for the clear film install, detailing, and to fix a 4mm factory defect in the leather brake boot. I basically entrusted him with a brand new 911 TT which had been stored outside for 3 months at the dealership to make way for the 991, so there was a little spider webbing, streaks, dirt, etc. that had to be addressed. When I picked the car up the following week, the car looked breathtaking and spotless to its core!!! That's when it hit me that, wow, I just bought a Porsche 911 Turbo!

I opted for the Xpel entire front cover: hood, bumper, front fenders, mirrors; and door sills and rear flares. The result has far exceeded my expectations as there are no seems on the front of the car. If you have OCD over your car's paint, Rick is your car's therapist. Any defects were corrected, not masked over which I really liked. It's been a week and I still haven't found any thing that was overlooked even in the slightest. He and his team spend hours over these cars, and it shows. They explained and showed me everything before they took on the car. I'll be taking the car over for periodic detailing.

One happy and grateful customer!
Bravo Rick!

OK, Winnilaker, your turn.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Winnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura about
Here's my car's makeover from Unique Car Care. I can't believe how good it came out. Check out the pics, previous owner did the damage not me.

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...870#post349870

Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Winnilaker
Here's my car's makeover from Unique Car Care. I can't believe how good it came out. Check out the pics, previous owner did the damage not me.

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...870#post349870

Glad you're happy with everything...

Gotta love Midnight Blue when it's freshly detailed!

Looking forward to seeing it with the new wheels.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
I saw thizs on DB, awesome job. Unless you have tried polishing paint you have no idea what a big, time sonsuming job this really is...good job.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:57 AM
mathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nice
Great work, real perfection!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 AM
xpel Ultimate, Self healing film, boston MA, Unique Car Care

Thanks again!