997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help Pls: "TPC Inactive" - What does this mean?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Reseting is futile...the vehicle will constantly try to reset itself anyway each time the vehicle is turned off and on. In the early stages for me it would work for a few minutes then the light would appear again.

Like you...it's more of the trouble of having to take my car in vs the price for the sensors. Couple that with I don't like shops having to dismout/fiddle with parts.

Murphy's law...just had my annual service done 3 three weeks ago and the light came on as I drove home. LOL

Old 05-09-2012, 06:19 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Thanks everyone for your input. Resetting has not helped; I will go ahead and change the individual wheel sensor and will report the result. I am so busy that this might have to wait a few weeks however.

As for changing without having to re-mount and re-balance, the wheel shop was very specific about this being possible. I do not know how but it appears zippsub9 gave the explanation.
I've found that my wheels are really sensitive to any changes even if the sensor is exactly the same weight and assuming the tire doesn't move when they replace the sensor, I'd still go ahead and rebalance the wheel while it's off the car.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 AM
zippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud of
Here is the link of a video that demonstrates how to switch the TPMS to an aftermarket rim, but the first 1:24 show you how to remove the sensor while leaving the tire on the rim.

PSTT07, I am with you...that is why I am obsessive compulsive and prefer to rent the machine and do the work myself.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:14 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Update:

All 4 sensors changed and system is working. As someone has correctly mentioned, you could change TPMS device without re-balancing by breaking the bead just on one side of the tire. That said, there is still labor charge of installing the sensor and mounting the tire and the wheels, etc. Altogether 130 x 4 + labor/tax = $640 or so, not cheap but of course well worth it. My car is about 4 years old and has 40,000 miles, in case you wonder when yours might need changing.

The new sensors under-read my reference longacre digital meter Amazon Longacre (highly recommended) by 1-2 psi , just like the old ones, so I run about -1. While there are exceptions, I have noted that Porsche TPMS sensors seem to under-read, FWIW.

Last edited by cannga; 06-02-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:50 AM
Carlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really nice
I bought my sensors at this place, great price ($459 for 4) and they are the same then OEM (BERU 433 mhz):

http://www.bavarianx.com/product_p/4...turbo.r1.k.htm

Old 06-02-2012, 08:35 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Carlitos way
I bought my sensors at this place, great price ($459 for 4) and they are the same then OEM (BERU 433 mhz):

http://www.bavarianx.com/product_p/4...turbo.r1.k.htm
Thanks for the good info.

I couldn't do this partly because I think it's fair for this particular tire shop to have the margin on the parts; they charge so little for the amount of work involved (to me anyway). Unlike the local Porsche dealer who would like to gouge me $270 for turning off an alarm message in my car. I really do have a love-hate relationship (more on the latter LOL) with my local Porsche dealer.

Last edited by cannga; 06-02-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:38 AM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
I ended up having to change just one sensor. Skand said that he read the sensors and saw that they had plenty of battery left for the other 3. I dont know where that info is accessible form the diagnostic menu.
But one bad sensor killed the whole system...

Old 07-06-2012, 10:11 AM
sphinz is infamous around these partssphinz is infamous around these parts
I just got this error message this morning, and wanted to confirm a couple things that were stated in this thread:

1) Do I need to switch out all 4 sensors? Or only the one which is acting up?
2) What should I expect to pay? $130 at a porsche dealer or a local shop?

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2012, 10:17 AM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
I would replace all 4. You're likely getting an error on one or more of the sensors. Your display should indicate which are bad now as it will not display pressure.

When I checked my sensors with the tool I have it indicated that all 4 batteries were low, two were simply still able to communicate with the TPMS system.

I'm going to replace all of them the next time I go in for my annual service and will likely source them from SunCoast (vendor here), who typically have very fair prices on products.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:51 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Dammit. I just got this fault show up on the dash today just as I was bringing in my car to get my tires swapped out.
This 2nd rate shop was hesitating to install tires on my car in the first place (tires too wide, profile too low, blah, blah). Unfortunately, there's no competent shop within 200 miles of me and had to take it to the 'best' I could find locally based on recommendations. So, when the TPMS inactive code popped up, they told me that they couldn't 'legally' install tires on the car and let it leave the shop with the code still active. I'm sorry, but this is a crock of sh*t, right?

Anyway, banging my head against the wall because I live in an area where there are NO competent shops to do even simple maintenance work. Because of this, I may have to sell the turbo.....

Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
Dammit. I just got this fault show up on the dash today just as I was bringing in my car to get my tires swapped out.
This 2nd rate shop was hesitating to install tires on my car in the first place (tires too wide, profile too low, blah, blah). Unfortunately, there's no competent shop within 200 miles of me and had to take it to the 'best' I could find locally based on recommendations. So, when the TPMS inactive code popped up, they told me that they couldn't 'legally' install tires on the car and let it leave the shop with the code still active. I'm sorry, but this is a crock of sh*t, right?

Anyway, banging my head against the wall because I live in an area where there are NO competent shops to do even simple maintenance work. Because of this, I may have to sell the turbo.....
Wow Ed, hope you are just kidding about selling your beautiful Turbo?! That's too bad.
Is San Luis Obispo close enough to where you are? There is a shop/person by the name of Gary (G Rides). I don't know Gary personally and have never used him but from his postings, he seems to know very well what he's doing. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...b-g-rides.html

Another option is Wheel Enhancement in LA, which is open on Saturday. Takes 30-45 minutes to change - reasonable rates and highest recommendation from me. Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:15 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Wow Ed, hope you are just kidding about selling your beautiful Turbo?! That's too bad.
Is San Luis Obispo close enough to where you are? There is a shop/person by the name of Gary (G Rides). I don't know Gary personally and have never used him but from his postings, he seems to know very well what he's doing. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...b-g-rides.html

Another option is Wheel Enhancement in LA, which is open on Saturday. Takes 30-45 minutes to change - reasonable rates and highest recommendation from me. Hope this helps and good luck.
Hey Can
SLO is probably about 2-2.5 hours away. LA is about 3.5-4. So no, I don't have ANY good options

Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Yikes Ed. Where exactly are you now? Sounds like you can get some 60-130 or even mile runs in pretty easily.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:45 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Hey Can
SLO is probably about 2-2.5 hours away. LA is about 3.5-4. So no, I don't have ANY good options
I drive from Austin to Dallas to let RAC Performance work on my car - other competent folks in Austin but I don't mind the drive - depending on the time of day. it's about the same as your SLO trip. Typically they provide a loaner so I can get some business done while they work away. I guess it depends on how far you want to go for good service. I've even driven from Denver to Culver City to get wheels/tires from Wheel Enhancement - I like to drive.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
... I've even driven from Denver to Culver City to get wheels/tires from Wheel Enhancement - I like to drive.
Thanks for the chuckle.

Ed, hope you'll find a solution - Fresno Porsche is there as a last resort but I know, I cringe too whenever I need to take my Turbo to the official Por$sche dealer with the sometimes clueless and often expensive service "advisor."
Current Turbo with Mezger engine + hydraulic steering (no more in 991) + so much work/sweat/time into that car - don't give up so easily, especially as it seems to be such a pain in the derriere to look for a "perfect" used Mezger Turbo. The rear seats are perfect for your younger children too. :-)

Last edited by cannga; 08-06-2012 at 05:56 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help Pls: "TPC Inactive" - What does this mean?