997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

H&R spring height measurements

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
H&R spring height measurements

I have been contemplating installing springs for a few weeks.
Have done a lot of searches and have red lots of interesting data these last few days.
I came across this post from carrera mike back in 2009 which had some measurable data, so I thought I would add to it.
READ IT HERE

In a nutshell, I have seen no evidence that H&R springs sag, as some have been "suspecting" or "implying" in the past.

Here goes (Carrera Mike thanks for the post, I hope you dont mind me reposting your pics for those who wont read your 2009 post.)

2009 install pics form thread above. The car is not a turbo so perhaps the initial height is different.
Before install:

After some spirited driving (60 miles)

and the update:
Originally Posted by carrera mike
UPDATE / 14SEP

after 3 + months, 2000+ miles of driving
re-measured the height/gaps with full tank of gas (same weight on it as the last 4 pix in the intitial post:

REAR 26.56" or 26 9/16"

FRONT 25.81" or 25 13/16"

difference of:

.06" in the front &

.49" for the rear
Today I measured Skands car. He has had H&R's installed since August 2010.
Unfortunately I did not match the photo skills of Carrera Mike, as my camera was out of battery, so all I had was the iphone and bad lighting conditions indoors. However you get the idea.

Aint that Dynamag just stunning?? But zooming doesnt help that much so we move closer.

Rear H&R installed on Skands car

that reads 26.3

Rear factory with 21k miles (2007)

Cr@ppy but I can zoom in it and its 27.2

Front H&R installed on Skands car

that reads 25.8

And front on factory with 21k miles (2007)

reading 26.7

So difference seems like a 0.9 in front and rear. Mind you, due to shortage of availability of rear tires I have a set of 295s in the back, so there is a slight difference in height due to profile of the tires.

Assuming we can locate a set of H&R within reasonable time, I will be installing them in a few days, and will post pictures after... I hope they will be of higher quality...

Old 05-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
H&R springs and sways transformed my car handling. It is a lot more responsive and precise in corners and become more firmer on hard acceleration and braking.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:48 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Personally I don't think H&R sags more than any other either, but as for height measurement, for accuracy you might want to consider doing it this way for your car, post #187:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-turbo-13.html

It seems complicated but once you've figured it out, it takes seconds. The method is Porsche's official way, and much more precise IMHO. In this case where you trying to prove/disprove a point conclusively and mm's count, it's the only way.

Last edited by cannga; 05-10-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:57 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
As always, precise... I have come across it, your "dissertation" on suspension is good reading Can.
Unfortunately, I cant do "before" now, I believe the H&Rs went on my car today...
Nevertheless this is a ballpark figure to me. Whether it drops 0.9 or 1 inch is of little consequence. In the end, does it go in the garage is the first question and the second is how does it handle/drive?
More to come on both...

Sorry for the delayed answer, was traveling.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Dianic, no problem. I *really* like to share the ride height measurement info because it took me a particularly long time to find out how it's done at the Porsche factory (with help from Alex997TT and his tuner).

Purely out of curiosity, I would be interested in the numbers you get. For comparison, the stock turbo is supposed to be 132mm front/153mm rear, my Bilstein car is around 120/141, and most lowering springs are supposed to be 24mm down from stock, meaning 110/129.

Measuring the same way as Porsche factory is not only more precise, it's the only way to confirm the springs are doing what they are supposed to do, and whether they get worse with time. Good luck and have fun with your new toy - see my post about adding sway bars too.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
As long as you measure at the same point, either way is just as precise. In fact ALMS, Koni spec series, 996 spec and Rolex series cars are measured in that exact manner. When I had GMG springs they never sagged, but wait a few weeks to measure as newly installed springs will settle a bit initially.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:10 PM
^^^
Until I see a quote from a reliable source I am skeptical that ALMS uses the wheel well method (what if your wheel well is bent?), but whatever ... I know that is not how my tuner measures the ride height of my car.

The point is, the method is not accurate, and the "same point" alone is not enough, nor easy to do. You also need to make sure the ruler is exactly perpendicular to ground, *and* go to the exact same top mid point on wheel well of each car, each time, *and* mid point of the rim itself. Ballpark number? Sure. Good enough to measure 5mm sag? No. I have been there and done that btw. A slight tilt or movement of the ruler screws up the measurement.

The "official" method is just as fast, more accurate, easier to do, and can be referenced against factory numbers. Porsche has that very specific instruction for a reason.

Last edited by cannga; 05-17-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Can, I did try to get proper measurements but unfortunately I cant at home. need a tunnel or something to go under the car. It sits too low, and I cant reach for any of the measuring points by lying on the floor! That is impressively low...

So we have to go back to the non accurate - approximate way...
Car has been sitting on the new springs for 2 weeks, just drove 200 kms this weekend. Mind you I measured yesterday morning, so before the drive. I will measure again in a few weeks.

Rears read 26.5

Fronts read 26

Both these are 0.2 inches taller than Skands car which has been sitting on them since 2010... Mind you, Cannga's comments on margin of error are very true. Even the angle at which the closeup is taken for the rear wheels above shows a different number than the actual 26.5

Old 05-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Here are some before and after pics. Rear spacers are 16mm, and after lowering I urgently need fronts! Will go with factory 5's I think, or H&R 7s if I can get a pair easy.

BEFORE

AFTER (funny dip in the pavement, and a child in the back seat alters the way the car is sitting, seems more raised in the front.

BEFORE

AFTER

And the other side

Closeup

Overall Stance... and new black stone guards. Rusty rotors curtesy of the fresh wash!

Last edited by dianic; 05-27-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:05 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
17 years now I always lower my cars in order to enhance their look...Your car has way better look now Nick...

Old 05-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Like the stoneguards Dimitri?

Old 05-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by cannga
Dianic, no problem. I *really* like to share the ride height measurement info because it took me a particularly long time to find out how it's done at the Porsche factory (with help from Alex997TT and his tuner).

Purely out of curiosity, I would be interested in the numbers you get. For comparison, the stock turbo is supposed to be 132mm front/153mm rear, my Bilstein car is around 120/141, and most lowering springs are supposed to be 24mm down from stock, meaning 110/129.
Can, since I cannot get to these figures, but wanting to help spread the word, with your permission, I have posted that drawing in another forum. If you wish, let me know and I will take it down.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by dianic
Can, since I cannot get to these figures, but wanting to help spread the word, with your permission, I have posted that drawing in another forum. If you wish, let me know and I will take it down.
Hi Nick are you kidding me; it's good info for people to know and I learned from others anyway. *Please* repost it to as how many forums as you would like. Hmmm as long as forum is car ****, not ****** **** I guess LOL.

BTW, you don't need to go under to measure. Check the diagram: both pointsl reachable by feel and within arm length; you don't need to be under, just your arms. The hole in the back (the locating bore) can be seen and feel, the hole in the front is a defect in that plastic under-pan and best located by feel. Use some light the first time to see them. Once familiar, both within arm length and done in minutes. I find it best to use one of these tape rulers pictured below - you set it on the ground and extend it to the point.
Do it now so you could follow the setting of the springs.

I like your idea of painting the wheel all black - very nice. Congrats on the beautiful car and be careful about the "stones" on the road.

Attached Images  

Last edited by cannga; 05-27-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:38 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Well...here in Greece we need to have reinforced stone guards...just like those Nick installed...

Old 05-28-2012, 05:52 AM
Will try again. I was trying to reach to the front and feel it and couldnt. So gave up and didnt try the rears.