997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

H&R Installed & some cosmetic mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 AM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Thanks for taking the time to read my rants!!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:53 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Guys thanks for the reps. cant return them if you dont sign them...
:-)

Old 05-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Well, since this thread has turned a bit more political than it should, I will start a new thread about the cosmetic upgrades.

Spring height measurements posted in my previous thread, HERE

Old 05-27-2012, 02:01 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Nick...black stickers really look fine...well done...

Old 05-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Originally Posted by dianic
Well, since this thread has turned a bit more political than it should, I will start a new thread about the cosmetic upgrades.

Spring height measurements posted in my previous thread, HERE

Nick are those black rock guards or more of a smoked grey? The car looks great! Enjoy her!

Old 05-27-2012, 03:23 PM
No its matte black vinyl. 3M 1080 series I believe.
Pic above is with a spotlight that I was installing to chase those bubbles out.
The 1080 series is a bit funky to install, you dont use soap water solution to slide into place, but stick, unstick as many times as you want, and chase bubbles out, and use a hairdryer to activate the glue. Seemed hard at the beginning, but worked out fine.

Took a template from a clear and vinyl cost me 15 euro...

Old 05-27-2012, 04:16 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Hey nick - Curious to get some more info about the hood grill.
I bought one last week (carbon fiber) and will be looking to install it this wee.

Can you tell me how many hours it took to install? Did they have to repaint anything? Did you do it yourself or have a body shop do it?

Thanks
~Mike

Old 05-27-2012, 04:32 PM
It was installed from non other than Skand (Skandalis447 a member here), he looks after my car.
Hand cut, I think with a template and a dremel tool. No painting required. What is very important is placement relative to the hood. The higher the better, it must be as close as possible or it makes the nose look funny. Mine has maybe a 1 cm gap. On the GT3 it is close to none. The smile has a bit of a lip so it covers imperfections. I believe they sell kits with mounting hardware, or did you just get the smile? I think mine is glued.

In retrospect, and considering the bumper doesnt come off, I would put some fine mesh below it, possibly on the smile itself, firmly attached before dropping in, as looking at it from the top you see internals, metal parts that could be hidden...

If you arent DYIing a good body shop should be able to do it easy...
Check out the other thread for more pics.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Here is the best picture I have of it.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:50 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Thanks Nick.
Yup, I was thinking of spray-painting the internals black so that when you do look in, not much will show. Actually a mesh is a great idea, would also keep any unwanted materials out.

Didn't consider the distance, but that's good to know and keep in mind too!

On a separate note, I've been looking everywhere for ducting that would make this piece functional - but can't find any. I would imagine that the GT3 and the GT2 would be using ducting like that (that exits the hot air from the radiator top and bottom). From what I can tell the Turbo OEM duct work exits the hot air under the car.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:35 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Regarding ducting for making GT3 smile air effective i can help you how to make it...pm me what parts you have with photos...

Old 05-29-2012, 07:42 AM
Hey skandalis447, I PM'd you over the weekend and checking my sent folder I don't see anything there - must have not gone through - thought I might just get in touch here.

I had a body shop look at it and they are of the opinion that the bumper has to be removed, first. They then have to build a "frame"/bracket for the grill to sit in and finally epoxy the unit in place.

Also they mentioned that the bumper might have to be repainted...

Sounds like an awful amount of work.
Curious to hear your opinion - what was the process involved in putting the grill in, how many hours total?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by dianic
Here is the best picture I have of it.
Hood grill cut out & install quote:

Just an update to this - have a prelim quote back from a body shop. Curious to know what you guys think, if it's reasonable... sounds a little steep.

They are still unsure if they will need to repaint the bumper...
Approx. $400 to install or $800 if they need to repaint the bumper.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:49 AM
Why would they repaint? If they screw up the cutting?

http://www.rennline.com/GT3-Smile-Ve...oductinfo/E90/

Here is the install kit form Rennline, and look at the template for cutting

Its all about patience, a steady hand and a dremel tool. I am sure Skand will chime in as he did mine, with first hand experience. Not worth painting a bumper for this...

Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Nick - Awesome!
Thanks for this - had no idea you could buy the install kit separately.
Going to jump on this and DIY it

Definitely rep points for you!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: H&R Installed & some cosmetic mods