997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PDK trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:46 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
I know there is a PDK vs 6 Speed ongoing conversation with both sides having good points. New technology is always comming. Some types are easy to trasition to and others not some much. Same for peoples willingness to adopt for a whole host or reasons. I have owned many manual tranny's from the makes of BMW (M3), Toyota (x2) Supra Turbo, and 300ZX. I know how to drive a Manual and have had some driving school to take me to trhe next level. I planned on purchasing a manual when I decided it was tike to pull the trigger 0n my ultimate life long dream Car. A 2011 911, i looked at the S and then the TT, I test drove a TTS right after the TT and you know what, I loved the rapid fire shifting which is better than I am or will ever be at shifting up or down in the heat of it all. The indy guys have long done away with the 3rd petal and I am in it for the performance and thrill. I have done my time with a clutch and if I add another extra car to my stable in the future I might even get one (Manual) for nostalga and the fun of it. For right now, I can't get the smile off my fact every time I rip thriough the gears so for me... I am good. I hope you all are a happy with your decision and that it fits you like mine fits me. On a side note, my 17 year old just got his license, and he is a good kid and being a car guy we purchased a car for his use. We got a Sunaru AWD legacy Limited. It had paddle shifters and is a blast to drive. Technology is good and nice to see that is gets incorporated into normal cars (sub 30K), not just 80K plus supercars. Car is a hoot to drive. I get no commission feom the sale of PDK gear boxes biut I love mine. PS-I have Mechanical breakdown coverage with my insurance that covers everything but wear items and damage caused my an accident so I sleep well at might for a few bucks a year. If it breaks, it will be 1 bad day in the sea of truly great days i have spent with my car. As long as everyone gets home safely its a good day. No doubt, Porsche will get this figured out quickly as I am sure it is not cheap for them nor is it good for business.

Have a good day, enjoy your ride and mostly be safe!

Last edited by JSF721; 06-10-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
That is no good! Brand new car taken all apart, what a nightmare. Hope they put all the parts back, not a virgin anymore. Bunch of hands all over that car, I would not want it.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:11 AM
alterra16 is infamous around these parts
Monday will be day 9 in the shop. They replaced the valve body and then after many attempts could not get the thing to calibrate. I believe the whole PDK needs to go. The calibration process is quite involved. The same calibrations have to occur at the factory. I cannot imagine they attempt a dozen calibration sequences on each car to get the system to work. It would take an ungodly amount of time. I have never had a problem with a new car anywhere even close to this degree. It was disconcerting the amount of interior dismantling that has to be done for this problem. I am going to be very careful to check for any interior and exterior marring as a result of this shop visit.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
I feel for you. Hope its at a Porsche service dealer. Check the rear bumper for dents or scratches since it probably has to be removed. Check wheels for scratches and also fitment of plastic parts. Good luck. I would not be able to sleep. From what I have learned reading the Porsche tech manuals is that most of the work is coding the modules from Germany thru the new PIWIS tool. I think the new models such as yours get the data (configuration files) from the server in Germany. From 2011 and up is how they do this. PDK is a complicated SOB. In fact, these cars are extremely complicated but almost maintenance free. Other than oil, belts, fluids its a go.

Last edited by Al Nunez; 06-10-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:48 AM
eagleeye is just really niceeagleeye is just really niceeagleeye is just really niceeagleeye is just really nice
Thanks for posting this OP.

I have a new '12 TTS with 900 miles. Flawless so far, but your story will be properly weighed as I mull keeping this beast long term vs. moving into a 991 TT or TTS in a few years.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:04 PM
I lease my vehicles. This is one of the reasons why. This will create an interesting Carfax. The car is at the dealer. I really could not justify owning as complex and expensive a machine as this without a warranty. I have never kept a car more than 3 years. I will definitely get a 991 TT or TTS when they come out. I am also hoping that no other issues are created in the vehicle software by having the configuration software run on it so many times. I have mentioned to them that it would make sense for the config failures if the PDK is the problem and not the valve body persay. Maybe the software detects issues with other parts that do not allow the valve body to config properly. Another problem could be a defective valve body out of the box.
Would people consider this "broken on delivery", essentially, since I only have 1500 miles on the car and 3 weeks out of delivery?

Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 PM
the993 is infamous around these parts
Sad to see Porsche cars becoming like Lexus and Austin Martins clowns, from interior to exterior.

What happened to the original Herr Ferdinand Porsche concept. Hand made: muscle car in every respect, from looks to engine to trans, everything.

Last true Porsche concept, series 993. Period.

Modern day Porsche design team puzzle me.

15-20 years from now, Porsche will lose whatever left of its original identity/concept.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
/\ You my friend are so right but I hope your wrong!?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Went to dealer today. The repeated attempts at valve body calibration resulted in the transmission control unit software being erased. When they attempted to reload the software the control unit sent a code which tells them it is shot. A new control unit is on the way for tomorrow. More waiting. I am growing fond of the loaner Panamera in the absence of my TTS.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:40 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alterra16
Would people consider this "broken on delivery", essentially, since I only have 1500 miles on the car and 3 weeks out of delivery?
Considering that its been 9 days at the shop with no luck, I would be speaking with a lawyer. I am only vaguely familiar with the lemon law, but I dont think it applies. Sorry to hear your troubles, good luck

Old 06-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
The longer this goes the more it amazes me.

As I noted earlier they discovered a leak in my PDK once and the next time it was observed Porsche decided to put in a new PDK. The new unit is at my dealership and will be installed Thursday.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Banned
Oh it's a lease, don't worry enjoy your Panamera! That will be someone else's problem later.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 PM
True, I do lease it. However, it costs me $110 per day. The Panamera is an 85k stripper. I really would be more confident in the repair if they just replaced the PDK. I don't want to be broken down in the middle of the night in the near future. They are guessing it is the valve body. I will know more tomorrow.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by alterra16
Went to dealer today. The repeated attempts at valve body calibration resulted in the transmission control unit software being erased. When they attempted to reload the software the control unit sent a code which tells them it is shot. A new control unit is on the way for tomorrow. More waiting. I am growing fond of the loaner Panamera in the absence of my TTS.

They gave me a panamera for a weekend when my turbo was in the shop for a slave repair. It felt like a big 4-door monster coming from my 911 Always wondered when turning if the back end was making it in the driveway. Its PDK too was a bore. Hopefully they'll come out with a 2-door model which should be a lot smaller. I like the much more GT look for the Panamera over the excessive sporty look of my 911.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:13 PM
I have a 12' CLS 63 for my wife. I have to say that the Panamera has a better ride and is more comfortable than the CLS. Keep in mind, I really like the CLS. I am not comparing any performance because the 63 is a monster. Porsche would have an out and out winner if they make the rear a little more palatable. It will be interesting to see the 2013 facelift.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK trouble