997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PDK trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:09 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by alterra16
I have a 12' CLS 63 for my wife. I have to say that the Panamera has a better ride and is more comfortable than the CLS. Keep in mind, I really like the CLS. I am not comparing any performance because the 63 is a monster. Porsche would have an out and out winner if they make the rear a little more palatable. It will be interesting to see the 2013 facelift.
Been thinking of trading my turbo for a CL 63 AMG, maybe even the black series, but without all wheel drive, I feel there is no comparison with the turbo for acceleration in all kinds of weather. Styling is kinda plain too. Interesting your ride comparison with the Panamera. I didn't think the big car ride was much different than my 977 turbo with less than 40 lbs in my tires.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:11 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
Agree 100% that split in the back seat makes it a four passenger car. The Lexus medium SUV is like that.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:07 AM
alterra16 is infamous around these parts
The CL model is going to be discontinued. They are going to have an S class coupe to replace it when the new S class arrives. Personally, I could not see the value in the huge prices where MB stickers the CL. Especially compared to the all new CLS 63.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Went to dealer today. Day 10. New control unit installed. Still fails calibration. May find out later today what is next step.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Just notified by dealer that entire PDK unit will be replaced. That means I may get car back on day 13. Wonder what would happen if that doesn't solve the problem?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 PM
BenisSLO is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by alterra16
Just notified by dealer that entire PDK unit will be replaced. That means I may get car back on day 13. Wonder what would happen if that doesn't solve the problem?
Lemon Lawed possibly and youll get a new ride.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:20 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
WOW, this is crazy. Sorry to hear about your PDK issue, glad it's a lease but even still. This scares the hell out of me as a potential future 991 owner. Definitely will go with the MT, PDK is nice, but I'm fine with a clutch.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Don't know why the PDK problem found me. They have been pretty bulletproof. The dealer has replaced 3 total. One for leak. That is across all model lines since it came out. Not bad. They are currently releasing the new PDKs with a field serviceable clutch unit. Prior to this, all PDK defects require replacing the entire unit. Dealers are not allowed to open the unit. I do think Porsche should share defect information with the dealers to help in the diagnosis arena. Currently, when the unit goes back to Germany, Porsche opens it and determines the problem and tells nobody what failed in the unit.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:11 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Just unlucky. Very few reports of issues with the PDK. Go to PSDS. I watched one TT launch control launch after the other. Never saw a car break down.

Lemon law will apply if you have 3 or more visits for the same issue OR if you are out of the car for a certain amount of time. (Something like 30 days within a year). If you are leasing, you are probably indifferent to the new tranny anyway. I'd try to wrangle a trip to PSDS out of the inconvenience. I would also tell them you need to get into one of their used 911's pretty soon as well to tide you over...

Old 06-14-2012, 09:46 PM
PDK replaced. Calibrated OK. Test drive tomorrow. The new unit actually goes in quite easily. They let me watch. The new unit came in a wood crate and was wrapped in an "antioxidant" material. The old unit had quite a bit of visible corrosion on the metal rings which attach to the rear axles. The new unit was shiny new metal. I live in AZ and it has not rained here since I got the car. I am betting that they drove it in winter conditions in Germany and that is what happened(or 1 month at sea). Porsche North Scottsdale really went the distance to earn my satisfaction with the whole experience. I also learned alot about the car by hanging out with the mechanic(who did a great job). I am quite fond of the Panamera loaner as well. Hopefully this will be my last adventure with this car.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting, my PDK arrived the same way and would have been in the car today if they had shipped the bell housing bolts. The bolts should be here tomorrow. I also have a Panamera loaner.

Glad to hear your issue has been resolved.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Why did you need new bell housing bolts?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Cevin is infamous around these parts
How was the test drive? Updates?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Cscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of light
What a train wreck... Do us all a favor and discreetly mark the car in some way so none of us end up with it after you turn it in.

Last edited by Cscat; 06-17-2012 at 09:38 AM.