997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GIAC Tuned 997.1 Turbo with CMS 68mm Turbos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
GIAC Tuned 997.1 Turbo with CMS 68mm Turbos

We recently had the opportunity to write the software for a local 997.1 Turbo. This vehicle was utilizing the newest Champion Motorsport 68mm turbos, along with other supporting modifications. We tuned this vehicle conservatively on 91 octane, with no other fueling support. With stock internals, we wanted to make sure that this car would be reliable for many years to come.

Overall, we are extremely satisfied with the results from our Mustang MD-500 dyno. Even with these fantastic numbers, the car has plenty of room to grow with some internal modifications. This customer also opted for our tiptronic flash, allowing for significantly quicker shifting. Take a look at the dyno chart below, as well as the video of the run. I love when those turbos kick in!

Last edited by Andrew@GIAC; 06-21-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:51 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
lookin' good! but for the love of god would someone post some 60-130 times with these turbos on pump gas so I can decide when to start the penny jar???????!!!!!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:53 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
oh, does it have the carbon inlet pipes feeding the turbos?

Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
lookin' good! but for the love of god would someone post some 60-130 times with these turbos on pump gas so I can decide when to start the penny jar???????!!!!!
Boggster--Turbo season is almost half over for you. Just slap a pair of these on and let us know!

Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 AM
quattrogeek is infamous around these parts
Lets see what this thing looks like with a tank of ms109 race fuel on board.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by TTdude
Boggster--Turbo season is almost half over for you. Just slap a pair of these on and let us know!
Lol so true. I almost had a set but then the owner decided he was enjoying them too much to sell.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:32 PM
M5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura aboutM5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by quattrogeek
Lets see what this thing looks like with a tank of ms109 race fuel on board.
something like this maybe

I think that is Arone's car with the 68s. Not sure what accounts for the difference besides race fuel. I thought in one of Champion's other threads they made it sound like race fuel only picked up about 30hp, but I think that thread is gone now.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Hey guys! Nice work Thomas!

I don't know too much about what other mods are on this particular car, but I believe it's not running our turbo inlet pipes, and I'm pretty sure it's using some variation of factory intercooler (GT2RS I think). I don't know much about what other hardware is on there (exhaust, etc), maybe Thomas can chime in.

The dyno graph right above is from Arone's tip car, with the full package.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M5 Wheelman
something like this maybe

I think that is Arone's car with the 68s. Not sure what accounts for the difference besides race fuel. I thought in one of Champion's other threads they made it sound like race fuel only picked up about 30hp, but I think that thread is gone now.
This car is what I would call a 68mm "lite" due to some necessary upgrades not being in place for bigger power.

It has the following upgrades:

CMS 68mm turbos
AWE Tuning exhaust w/ high flow cats
IPD plenum and Y-pipe with larger throttle body
GMG headers
997.2 Intercoolers
GIAC Stage 2 TCU upgrade
GIAC 68mm 91 octane

It retains some limitations:
factory tiptronic transmission and torque converter
OEM inlet pipes
OEM airbox
OEM internals.

With the big snails on the car, there is quite a bit of room to go up. This is where the customer was comfortable for the time being, so we created a custom solution for him that is powerful, but safe for his stock trans and internals. We will see how long it takes for him to get comfortable with the power and go for more. His car left with 85 whp more than it came in with, so he was definitely very happy.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
hehe I have a feeling he'll be back soon Austin. The power gets addictive!

Old 06-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Hmmm...I didn't think you could run the 68s without bigger inlet pipes. Is that a significant bottleneck? Do you have to drop the engine to put on the inlet pipes?

Old 06-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Nice work. Hey it NEVER stops.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Hmmm...I didn't think you could run the 68s without bigger inlet pipes. Is that a significant bottleneck? Do you have to drop the engine to put on the inlet pipes?
Whoever did the install would have had to modify the factory inlet pipes to meet up with the compressor housing, but it can be done. It definitely is a pretty big bottleneck, and you do have to drop the engine to install them.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:44 AM
M5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura aboutM5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura about
So would the inlet pipes be the largest bottleneck at this point? Or what would be the next thing you would advise that customer to upgrade to take further advantage of the 68mm turbos. Just trying to learn more about how everything goes together.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by M5 Wheelman
So would the inlet pipes be the largest bottleneck at this point? Or what would be the next thing you would advise that customer to upgrade to take further advantage of the 68mm turbos. Just trying to learn more about how everything goes together.
There's a couple things I would recommend to that person. First would be intercoolers. I know everyone loves the .2 coolers, but they simply don't flow enough. That right there would be a HUGE improvement for them. Next, definitely the inlet pipes. The factory plastic ones are too small and compress under full boost, limiting the air reaching the compressor. We normally would not sell the 68's without them. Lastly, I'd get rid of the cats. Backpressure is the enemy...so eventually they'll hold you back a little bit too. With those 3 things out of the equation, he should easily be pushing mid 600's at the wheels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC Tuned 997.1 Turbo with CMS 68mm Turbos