997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PCCB brake pad glaze

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:46 AM
mm450exc is infamous around these parts
PCCB brake pad glaze

So just a few weeks after a track day the brakes starting squeaking out of control. Pads were glazed. Should this be covered under warranty? End of the day if the pads cannot take a bit of heat they should not be on this car.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 AM
Slick997 is infamous around these parts
try heating them up again on the street, that should make it go away. They should be fine.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 PM
denlinn is a jewel in the roughdenlinn is a jewel in the roughdenlinn is a jewel in the rough
Subscribed....after last track day they squeal really bad! Didn't happen after the previous one, but hopefully it will work itself out.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Slick997 is infamous around these parts
Depending on what kind of track day you had
Did you try to heat them up and see if it goes away?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:33 AM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Did a veteran racer actually tell you they were "glazed"? Are you absolutely certain this is the state your pads are in?

Are your brakes working fine? Your pads will not glaze over just from street driving. There is a 99.9% chance they are not actually glazed.

Just deal with the squeak -- your pads are fine and do not require a full heat cycle / bed procedure or the scuffing/sanding necessary to remove 'glaze'.

Welcome to tracking! Depending on the weather and humidity, your 911 TT is going to frequently sound like a 100K dump truck as you pull up to stop lights

p.s. most people who track 911s get rid of PCCBs.

Not worth the $$ unless you are rich. Has nothing to do with squeal, and everything to do with overpriced rotors yielding only a percieved extra stiffness/initial bite that some people use to justify their exorbitant cost when they ultimately have little to no real world additional performance or cost benefit on or off the track.

If your pads are in fact glazed, well... time to swap to new pads and hope they don't destroy your rotors. I love Performance Friction myself - get the 01 if you want the best pads money can buy that will stop you like the hand of god is gripping your car in a brake zone, or 06 if you want a longer lasting compound.

I believe there is a Porsche-endorsed Pagid compound for PCCBs out now. The PCCB fan boys can correct me if I am wrong but for a while there was no confirmed official Porsche-backed race pad for PCCB rotors. I did a ton of research on them before I bought my TT but I am by no means an expert, so fire away if I'm off the mark here

Last edited by djben; 06-26-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 AM
denlinn is a jewel in the roughdenlinn is a jewel in the roughdenlinn is a jewel in the rough
Mine did have some glazing...it went to the shop shortly after tracking for suspension goodies, so I'll let u know if the Emory cloth they used helped at all.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:07 PM
mm450exc is infamous around these parts
Did a track day at SPA. Heating them up did not work. Did heating them up work for you guys?

Old 06-30-2012, 10:07 AM
So, after getting the car back, the slight sanding didn't really help. I do find that if I get them hot, they seem to stop squealing.....but hard to get them (and keep them) hot on the street. Guess I'll have to track more often

Old 06-30-2012, 04:12 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
If you track any of these cars, make sure you change the stock brake fluid to a more race ready one. The stock fluid tends to boil quite quickly which does not bode well for brake wear.

The squeal I think will be something that you have to get used to unfortunately. If you are going to track the car more give steel brakes a serious thought and put the PCCB's away for when you sell the car.