997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Boost Pull = Problem? 997.1 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Spatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to behold
Boost Pull = Problem? 997.1 TT

I haven't owned my car long enough to really tell if there is a problem with the boost in the engine. The car has no engine mods of any kind and has around 25,000 miles. When I floor it in 2nd or 3rd (or any gear) it does pick up quite a bit (the boost gauge shows the psi up to 15 and with Sport pushed 17psi) and then towards the end of the rev range 5700+ rpm there is a big kick in power. Is the boost / power delivery linear or should I expect a big kick towards the end. My butt dyno feels like the car should be faster but I've only owned the car for a month and have traveled the last few weeks so am unsure. There is no CEL apparent.

Maybe Ive just gotten use to 480hp and need more but I hope not at this point.

I've been thrown off a bit to based on that Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson says the car goes from 40 - 60 in 1 second. It doesn't feel that way for me.

Should I take it to the dealership? Is there anything I can look for when it comes to loose hoses??? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:30 PM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
If you had a boost hose go loose you'll see a drop in the boost gauge. That said, this does happen from time to time.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:42 PM
997TTMeister is infamous around these parts
Has it had a plug change? They may be starting to break down.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Spatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 997TTMeister
It hasn't yet - the exact mileage is in km so I am sitting at 42,000km. When do plugs need a change?

Is there a pdf chart that illustrates the maintenance of this car?

Old 06-25-2012, 04:45 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 997TTMeister
Would plugs going bad cause power loss in the midrange that goes away at the high end? Seems that bad plugs would affect power more in the high end?

(my car does this too, that's why I'm asking)

Old 06-26-2012, 02:39 AM
997TTMeister is infamous around these parts
When plugs start to break down they can cause misfires. This can seem like a sudden surge in power immediately following. My car is doing this on my third set of plugs (i obviously have another problem causing the plugs to break down).

42000km is alot out of one set of plugs. I only got half that on my first set.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:14 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
When plugs go bad different things can happen:
If the electrodes wear, the gap increases, and you can experience misfires at idle, that will go away as RPM increases (more voltage is sent to the plugs, and the spark is able to jump the electrode gap).

If the porcelain cracks (less common, but I've had it happen), you may experience no problems at idle, but under a load, the electricity is able to arc out through tiny cracks in the porcelain, and you will get no spark at the electrodes, causing misfires under acceleration.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
A subjective feeling in the change in characteristic of a car is often difficult to diagnose. Plug in a Durametric cable, and log the parameters that are discussed in this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ic-primer.html

Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
A subjective feeling in the change in characteristic of a car is often difficult to diagnose. Plug in a Durametric cable, and log the parameters that are discussed in this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ic-primer.html
where does one purchase a durametric cable?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by Spatia
where does one purchase a durametric cable?
NM I got one.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I think the added surge in power is normal, a stock C2S does the same thing, I believe its something to do with the variable valve timing. Slightly more noticeable when not in overboost mode. My car does this even with the mods below, with new plugs.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Winnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura about
I had same problem, it was pin that had popped off the pivot ball pin thingy coming from the electric actuator on the turbo. It was causing same symptons, my turbo is back now!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Winnilaker
I had same problem, it was pin that had popped off the pivot ball pin thingy coming from the electric actuator on the turbo. It was causing same symptons, my turbo is back now!
Winnilaker can you post a photo of what your talking about. I am not that mechanical to begin with and compound that with a vague reference to pivot ball thingy's and I'm even less so.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 PM
'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light
It's in your head.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Winnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura about
Here it is, this ball is the end of a rod. It was just hanging there not on the pivot. This should move freely up and down once attached correctly. It's located on the front side of the turbo.

Attached Images