997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Wheels 101?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Wheels 101?

Can someone do a small rundown on the brands to put on a 911tt? I know the "a standard" would be something like HRE. But what is the rub on the other brands.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:45 AM
TT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to behold
Hard to beat BBS if price versus quality is a consideration

Old 07-05-2012, 06:02 AM
Peskarik is infamous around these partsPeskarik is infamous around these parts
OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT 19"-20"

http://www.sport-wheels.de/bilder/ds...1212070312.jpg

http://files.vau-max.de/images/2012/...feffert-oz.jpg

Last edited by Peskarik; 07-05-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:00 AM
amw
amw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of light
What type of wheel are you looking for?

18's, 19's, 20's
Classic mesh design? Concave look? Colors/tint/finishing?
1 piece? 2 piece? 3 Piece?
Does weight matter to you? I'd at least consider options close to the stock wheels weights.
Price?

I've recently just gone through this decision myself. Here's a list off the top of my head, aside from HRE.

BBS - not much needs to be said here - racing heritage/reputation/quality/both cast and forged/and some other special metal concoctions
Champion - again, very good wheels
OZ Racing - I don't know much about them, but they seem to be popular
Fikse - haven't seen any on a 997tt, but they seem popular with the 993tt crowd. Change in ownership a few years ago, but make an excellent wheel.
DPE - seem to be popular brand, make some very nice looking 3 piece wheels

These next three don't seem to advertise as much as others, but I've only heard excellent things about their wheels.
Forgeline - great company (I've seen them on many domestics), I have not seen them on a 997tt though.
iForged - excellent quality wheel
CCW - seen on many, many, many high hp Supras

Volk - not the most common on a 911, but the TE 37 looks pretty cool. Racing heritage in Japan.
Enkei - actually very good quality / price wheel, not sure if they make the right sizes for 911s
Vorsteiner - great looking multi-piece wheels
GMG makes a newer looking 1 piece mesh design
D2 Forged - fresh new multi-piece mesh designs
Techart - I've only seen 20's and I read some where that they are heavy cast wheels

there's another new brand we can't mention on the boards that makes some AMAZING looking 3-piece wheels.

I'm sure there are a few more not on my list. Best of luck with your hunt.

Last edited by amw; 07-06-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: more wheels
Old 07-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Former Vendor
CampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the rough
Your priorities combined with budget will dictate your wheel selection.

Cheap, light and quality rarely come together in single package! PM us your budget and priorities and we will guide you through the wheel industry

Old 07-06-2012, 10:00 AM
DaBrat is infamous around these parts
Love my BBS.

Attached Images   
Old 07-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor
HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !
There's a reason HRE is considered the industry standard in the USA.

We are one of the few US wheel manufacturers that makes our wheels in-house. Many of the US wheel industry has wheels made by 3rd party company and add their wheel label on.

Wheel companies from Japan and Euro are highly regarded because their countries hold a stronger policy for wheels being sold. Companies like BBS, Rays, Enkei, OZ are highly respected.

Take a look at some HRE tours.
www.egarage.com/videos/hre-wheels/
www.vimeo.com/36386945

Old 07-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Former Vendor
Cantrell Motorsports is infamous around these parts
Although we completely stand behind, offer, and sell HRE and BBS; we also strongly recommend Formula 43. Their rotary forged technology tag teamed with their spin form design has created a 3 piece wheel game changer.

We have fitted numerous customer cars both street and track dedicated vehicles and the quality has shown itself time and time again.

Below is a picture of one of our customers that tracks his car, fitted with the Formula 43 RAD10 wheel.

If you're interested in what our customers have had to say and want a personal review, let me know. I can provide those.

Their website is www.formula43.com if you're interested in learning more. Otherwise feel free to contact me with any questions about them. Good luck on your wheel search!

Zach

Old 07-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
I think my personal question is where I want to go. First I understand the concept of forged vs cast. I would like a lighter wheel but I am NOT going to a track.
So do I need a forged? If so at what point are you no longer paying for the forge, or monoblock and are paying for bling whatnot?

What wheels should I stay away from?
How light do i need to go for a street wheel? MAYBE one track day in the life of the car, and I am saying that in case I do go( i would use a different car for the track)

Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Former Vendor
CampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like a set of Forgestar F14s would be ideal for you:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ic-wheels.html

1. Under $2000 for a set
2. Bolt-on wheel (hubcentric, accepts Porsche center caps and lug bolts)
3. Available in various finishes (standard is brushed)
4. In stock right now - no waiting.
5. Fairly light due to flow forming technology as used by BBS and Enkei

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_6" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="1000"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"></td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x682.</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_4" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="1000"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"></td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x682.</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_7" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="1000"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"></td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x682.</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_5" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="1000"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"></td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x682.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 07-08-2012, 07:55 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Stock 997TT wheels
8.5x19" 23.5 lbs
11x19" 27.9 lbs.

Forgestar F14 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ic-wheels.html)
8.5x19" +46 23.8 lbs
11x19' +38 26 lbs

The word "light" is relative, considering the F14s have a total weight savings of 3.2lbs total savings over stock X 4 corners.

Last edited by bbywu; 07-09-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
What wheels should I stay away from?
How light do i need to go for a street wheel? MAYBE one track day in the life of the car, and I am saying that in case I do go( i would use a different car for the track)
Just an FYI, no manufacturer can guarantee safety of a wheel (obviously.) However, there are multiple certifications from TUV in Germany to VIA in Japan, to various ISO certificates. But wheel failure can occur at any level, with or without certification - even on the street.

That being said, I would still advocate purchasing a wheel that has been certified to some standard. The following link is not meant to bash another company, but it should give you an idea to what lengths companies go to get certified.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596608

When I chose my wheels, I used the following algorithm, in the following order.
  1. Safety based on certification - see above
  2. History of the company (motorsports involvement, industry reputation, longevity of the company) - a company that has cut corners, produces substandard products will not be around for long in a very competitive market...even if they change their name.
  3. Lightest wheel possible - no brainer.
  4. Proper fitment without spacers.
  5. Looks.

Last edited by bbywu; 07-08-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:47 AM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
Hi! Seems everyone chimed in already, so I'll do the same. We think highly of some of the companies posted here as they all strive in the same direction as we do; great designs, lightness, perfect custom fitment and helping our customers get exactly what they want and need.

All wheels are made in the U.S.A., utilizing 100% Domestic componentry. We utilize the the highest quality aerospace grade 6061-T6 forged aluminum, and assemble each wheel by hand using stainless steel fastening hardware, rated to withstand 2tons of pressure. Our wheels are subjected to numerous durability & quality control inspections. Testing procedures include in house CAD structural fatigue rendering as well as 3rd party independent testing for: hi-speed stability, Fatigue and Dynamic Durability testing specified by DOT 109, and lateral / radial runout. Additionally, Our wheels are inspected twice for cosmetic / final delivery quality control (finish quality, fastener torque specs, specification confirmation).

Our wheels feature a 1 year finish and lifetime structural warranty. We have gone to great lengths to provide a product of the utmost quality, thus each wheel features a seal of authenticity, with serial number on the inner rim. Do not accept any product as D2FORGED if it does not have this seal. All warranty claims and repair requests will require verification of the serial number prior to performance of any services. Please contact us to register your wheels, and ensure you receive the most efficient and timely customer service.

Some examples of 911 projects done to this day ...

Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Platinum Sponsor
Corey@WB is a splendid one to beholdCorey@WB is a splendid one to beholdCorey@WB is a splendid one to beholdCorey@WB is a splendid one to beholdCorey@WB is a splendid one to beholdCorey@WB is a splendid one to beholdCorey@WB is a splendid one to beholdCorey@WB is a splendid one to behold
Pics overload, I'm game!!!!

Porsche 997.2 Turbo on HRE P40SC's by wheels_boutique, on Flickr

Porsche 997.2 Turbo on HRE P40SC's by wheels_boutique, on Flickr

997_HRE794R_01 by wheels_boutique, on Flickr

997_HRE794R_02 by wheels_boutique, on Flickr

997_HRE794R_03 by wheels_boutique, on Flickr

997_HRE794R_08 by wheels_boutique, on Flickr

997_1 by wheels_boutique, on Flickr

997_6 by wheels_boutique, on Flickr

997TT on HRE P40S by wheels_boutique, on Flickr

Wheels Boutique + Vorsteiner + Car Lab 997TT = AMAZING by wheels_boutique, on Flickr

Wheels Boutique + Vorsteiner + Car Lab 997TT = AMAZING by wheels_boutique, on Flickr

997TT Cab on HRE P40's by wheels_boutique, on Flickr

Corey@wheelsboutique.com
TOP WORLDWIDE DEALER FOR HRE / Adv1/ Volk Racing/ Champion/ SpeedArt/ TechArt/D2Forged/ Vorsteiner/ Wald/ Brembo/Eibach & More

Last edited by bbywu; 07-10-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: ADV1 may not be promoted here
Old 07-10-2012, 05:06 AM
That is my question what are some wheels that fit BBYWUS list. I do like the looks of the P40s, but like I said at what point am I paying excessively for LOOKS, not that I have an issue paying for premium goods.
However in this case I really don't hate my stock wheels and after finding that my dealer is VERY mod friendly on a CPO its always been a medium priority. So I really dont need the very best wheel ever made just to say I have it and looks be damned.
I havent found that "must have" looks that also has weight and fitment that is just perfect.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheels 101?